My catfish

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The hoplo are looking big! Mine are doing well, still looking for a third one. Just haven’t had a chance to call PetWorks to see if they got another batch in. I wanted all albino but ended up with one of each and wiil just wait to see what I can get.
They are having trouble getting stock. They still have one of the best selections.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Aquascaping looks great! How many cory cats did you have?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Some more exciting news to come but for now..What is going on with this orinocodoris?
Meds on hand are prazipro, paraguard, polyguard and kanaplex I do have salt as well. Theses did go through a week or so of paraguard when I first brought them home.
PXL_20220214_193158624.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The patient is out of surgery and in recovery. Seems to have worn of the clove oil. Swimming normally. I removed the entire skin sack so there is now a round patch of missing skin. I will dose paraguard for the next week and see what happens.PXL_20220215_002823696.jpg
Removed parasitePXL_20220215_002400961~2.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@fishguy1978, have you ever mixed hoplo’s? Currently we both have the marbled hoplo (thoractaca) but I was thinking of getting a few of the tail bar hoplo (picta) to mix in. I found a few of those online at Exotic. Is it like mixing cory cats or any issues with aggression with the picta because they get bigger than the others.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
@fishguy1978, have you ever mixed hoplo’s? Currently we both have the marbled hoplo (thoractaca) but I was thinking of getting a few of the tail bar hoplo (picta) to mix in. I found a few of those online at Exotic. Is it like mixing cory cats or any issues with aggression with the picta because they get bigger than the others.
I have not. These are the only Hoplo I have had. I checked the Exotic website and they only show spotted in stock. Are you thinking about adding Pimelodus pictus?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Exotic is the worst for using common names, the ones they call spotted hoplo would make you think they are Megalechis thoracta but the ones pictured dont look right to me…
B870371D-D419-40F9-92D3-F14BC3160AC9.jpeg
Looks like a black tail bar (Megalechis Picta) to me. Im not overly concerned with the variety but just not sure if the different ones will cohabitate well with each other.

I had a forked tail type before (brown hoplo, Hoplosternum littore) but kept it solo so I really dont know what to expect when mixing. @sir_keith, do you have any insights on the hoplo family of catfish and wether mixing varieties is okay. Just concerned about aggression levels.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Exotic is the worst for using common names, the ones they call spotted hoplo would make you think they are Megalechis thoracta but the ones pictured dont look right to me…
View attachment 11197
... @sir_keith, do you have any insights on the hoplo family of catfish and wether mixing varieties is okay. Just concerned about aggression levels...
I don't know the first thing about catfish! :eek:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
View attachment 11197
Looks like a black tail bar (Megalechis Picta) to me. Im not overly concerned with the variety but just not sure if the different ones will cohabitate well with each other.

I had a forked tail type before (brown hoplo, Hoplosternum littore) but kept it solo so I really dont know what to expect when mixing. @sir_keith, do you have any insights on the hoplo family of catfish and wether mixing varieties is okay. Just concerned about aggression levels.
I would think it would work. I would query planet catfish to see what those guys think.