My catfish

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
It seems like you have quite a Cory collection. How many different species of these are currently recognized and/or in the hobby?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
It seems like you have quite a Cory collection. How many different species of these are currently recognized and/or in the hobby?
There are 86 in the planetcatfish database but there are probably more. Some have been named some are just a number.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, nice!

Also surprised to hear that there are 86 species of Cory cats.

I’m just 84 different types away from collecting them all. Haha

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have just lost 5 of the 9 T musaicus (mini orca). Their fins are all gone. 3 that are still alive have really tattered fins so I have moved one of them to a different tank.8CC4A836-3740-4B4D-B800-8C206254E51B.jpeg

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
What would cause their fins to be gone?

Fin / tail rot ?
Aggression from a tank mate?

Either way, I’m sorry to hear about the losses. Those are super cool little catfish!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
What would cause their fins to be gone?

Fin / tail rot ?
Aggression from a tank mate?

Either way, I’m sorry to hear about the losses. Those are super cool little catfish!
Not sure. I noticed fins missing on a male so I moved him and 2 other males to separate tank thinking it was aggression. That was several months ago. I lowered the temperature for the rack tanks to 75F as many of the fish in that system prefer the lower temp. I have received several responses on MFK and planetcatfish from keepers who experienced the same problem.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Is this a species that is sensitive to the PH? I know a lot of South American species seem to like lower PH than what we have...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I was interested in a gulper catfish but after a ton of reading up on them what I gathered was that the majority of people could not keep them alive for very long because the PH requirement needs were more like 5.0 - 6.8 and the typical tap water most people were using was higher and the fishes longevity was effected. Not sure if its the same with these little cats, but it made me wonder.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I rescued three Dwarf Anchor Moth catfish (Erethistes jerdoni) from my maintenance account. They were housed with angels, acaras and geos. These were gifted to him. I have them in a 2.5g full of java moss by themselves. The other positive is that I now have a way of disposing of my excess micro worms.
Yes, they are full grown at 25mm. 9FE94147-308D-4243-A4C0-C164993FA5F4.jpeg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Those are cool! I’ve always liked them but they are just so tiny, only tank I could think to put them in is my 46 gallon bowfront and they would just disappear in there.