Aquarium Co-Op a new store in the making.....

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe, but for a 1000 sq ft room. Dehumidifiers do 80% of the heating. The actual heater is to only supplement the cold months really. Right now 1 dehumidifier is heating my whole garage fish room and keeping it at 65 degrees in there. I have heaters in a few tanks to take it higher than that. But if I added another dehumidifier in there it would be 90 degrees probably. Without the dehumidifier on out there, the temp drops to outside temperature. So it would be 35 degrees today, instead of 65 right now.

A fish store operates differently that people's houses. In your house usually you dont have the ambient heat from 300 lighting fixtures going. A blower that is mounted near the ceiling, taking hot air from the ceiling and injecting it into the tanks. Plus water is a great insulator. It takes a week to heat it up and a week for it to cool down.

If there is a need for a better heating solution I'll definitely install it. But most of the problem fish stores have heating is taking out the humidity. It's harder to heat wet air than dry air. Also in the summer when it's unbearable in a fish store it's the humidity.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
just a quick question.... how much water do you lose to evaporation with a dehumidifier in the room? You have me thinking about adding one to my garage to keep the temps regulated for my tank out there.

thanks for any information

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
First what I would do is get a hydrometer to measure the humidity of your garage. If your tanks have glass tops you wouldnt get any more evac. With open tanks it might speed it up but not sure.

Madness

Staff member
Interesting. When I shut my dehumidifier off, the humidity goes up and the temp in the garage rises to about 80. And you can feel the heavy air. All my tanks go up to 80+. When I run the dehumidifier the heavy air is removed, and the temp in the garage drops to 70, and the temps in the tanks drop to around 76. So I am actually going to run my dehumidifier on a timer.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
That's odd Madness. In my living room with more tanks. I run a dehumidifier also. It's 72 degrees in my living room and I haven't turned on the heat at all this winter in the house.

Can you not feel hot air blowing out of your dehumidifier while it's running? It's true that the air will feel heavier and hotter when a dehumidifier isn't on. That's the way our skin/humidity works. That's the difference between 80 degrees with low humidity on a summers day and 80 degrees with high humidity. The humidity part is the miserable heavy feeling. However the outside temperature is equal.

Is that any way you could be suffering from evaporative cooling? Like you have fans going in your fish room that when dry air is blown over the top of an open topped tank, it causes evaporation which cools your tanks?

Madness

Staff member
No, never mind. LOL I totally forgot, I am venting the hot air outside. Before I did that, the temp jumped up to almost 90 in the garage, so I needed to vent it outside. Which now I understand how it will heat the room. DAH, sorry about that.:wall:

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
No, never mind. LOL I totally forgot, I am venting the hot air outside. Before I did that, the temp jumped up to almost 90 in the garage, so I needed to vent it outside. Which now I understand how it will heat the room. DAH, sorry about that.:wall:
Lol yep. That is the plan for the store during the summer. My store also has a door that is 2 parts. So I can have the bottom closed and the top half open. Should be nice for a breeze in the summer.

Jessikins

Cory, I'm not sure if I missed it or not , but where exactly is your new store going to be? Super excited for you, the Conway just won't be the same!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
More Pictures time!

Sales Countertop is in.
P1020554.jpg

P1020553.jpg

P1020552.jpg

Doors are blue.
P1020562.jpg

P1020551.jpg

Plumbing lines are in:
P1020558.jpg

P1020557.jpg

P1020555.jpg

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
sidekicking said:
Are you doing some of the work your self?
Great progress can't wait until your open for business
Not yet, Plumbing, electrical, construction have all been hired friends so far.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Still trucking along. Spent most of the morning with the city of Edmonds. Jumping through hoops for their special Edmonds business license. Should take up to 2 weeks, have to have the city planners review the impact of putting a aquarium retail store where I am. Then there has to be a building inspection, fire department etc come through. Waiting on items to fill at the wholesalers such as lighting as I've bought them out already.

Finished painting all but 1 small wall. Waiting to finish up the drywall patch there with texture before paint. The main rack of 50 tanks will hopefully be finished today. Be ready for plumbing it etc. The building was built in 1942 and the concrete has settled so lots of shimming etc to get the rack of tanks level etc.

The current timeline is to open the 15th. Depending on inspections. It's likely I have to apply for a building permit for a change of use. Since the business here before me wasn't retail. I will likely have to change this suites use from service to retail which takes a city planner study etc. I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly as you can get buried in paperwork with the city.

JimA

"I'm just hoping everything goes smoothly as you can get buried in paperwork with the city."

A lot of the problem with our entire country!!