Aquarium Co-Op a new store in the making.....

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
So some of you have noticed the new sponsor store. Aquarium Co-Op. That would be and my old name on here was Cory. I managed Conway Tropical Fish for the last 5 years and am now in the process of setting up my own store. I plan to share lots of information and pics about starting a local fish store. As many people have the dream, but don't realize all the elements that go into it.

The Goal: To open a fish store that utilizes local fish breeders and provides an eco friendly product to customers. This includes but is not limited too, locally bred fish, bulk foods, fish breeding supplies, refillable containers of meds, water conditioners etc.

Target Grand Opening: April 1st. To make sure I am open and ready for pond season.
Soft Open date: Mid Febuary to March 1st. This means open but not finished.

What I've done so far: Is a running cost total helpful?
Bought some fish tanks and racks from an Angel Breeder: $700
Bought Ez Aquarium. Contained over 50 tanks, security system, small air blower, sponge filters. $800
Renting 2 storage units and a cargo container. $130 a month
Filed for an LLC in the name of Aquarium Co-Op. $225
Filed for a resellers permit.
Made a facebook and got at least 30 likes to ensure I have www.facebook.com/aquariumcoop Free
Bought the domain www.aquariumcoop.com $10
Started communication with a branding and design firm. Website waits until colors and logos established. Pro bono! Thanks!
Bought and configured a point of sale system. $500
Had Business Cards Made. $50
Location scouting - Still ongoing. 2 Potential locations so far. Both in Everett. Lots of time.
Bought a label maker on sale $25
Bought a scanner for documents: $50
Sponsored WaFishBox: $30
Bought a rolling cart to catch fish on: $60
Bought an impulse sealer for sealing breather bags: $40
Label printer for shipping labels: $100
Got test samples from Ecoxotic LED lighting. Free
Bought t5 lighting to test PAR reading also $40
Bought shop light fixture to read PAR also $20

Here you can see some of the tanks in storage. Some were bought at a petco $1 a gallon sale(this is cheaper than wholesale). If you look closely you can see some custom painted backgrounds done by an artist I'm testing out. Might have custom backgrounds on every tank.
2012-07-21192751_zps411452be.jpg

2012-07-21192801_zps8960484d.jpg

2012-07-21192853_zpsb28a08e5.jpg

2012-07-21192913_zps714275fb.jpg

I'm sure theres 200 things I've forgotten to post about what has been done so far. But I'll update as I think of them and hopefully grab more pictures for you guys.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I really like your idea! Best of luck getting up and running. I will have to drive north this summer to check it out!

A

Anonymous

Couple months ago we talked on the phone. I ran up to Conway to check out some Half beaks only to find out YOU took them all home to nurse (they were sick or under fed or something).
Interesting LFS. I found an Asian leaf fish and brought it home.

I'd be interested in your grand opening and looking for a decent LFS that's close. I hope you start a location in the Everett area!

Chad

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Not a whole lot done today. Setup a wholesale account for Plecocaves.com and will be doing my first order soon.

I also have catappa leaves in stock now for all your tannin/shrimp needs :D

Kaosu

this sounds so awesome!!!!
cant wait^_^ will this be run just out of the storage units or are you going to have a location?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no, it'll have a location :) Hundreds of tanks plumbed for automatic water changes etc :) I'm just bringing in some products early to start developing a relationship with many of you.

Kaosu

..awesome..I have some things we have been working on breeding ^_^ if your interested

will it be a GSAS sponsor?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
So let me ask the people this. What do you think is a fair price for Assassin Snails and Amano shrimp?

What prices do you pay now and what prices do you think are fair for them? I am likely visiting a wholesaler next week and bringing some back. I'm interested to see where the sweet spot is for most people.

Obviously everyone always wants to pay the least for any item. However there comes a point where theres not enough profit on the table to keep someone in business to provide said item.

I'm hoping to keep in stock some of the bread and butter helpers for freshwater while setting up the store, like assassins, amano shrimp, nerite snails etc.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I will definitely be a GSAS sponsor store. I just can't apply until I have a physical location.

The store will offer a 10% discount to members.

JimA

Good luck to you Cory, so are you still at Conway fish or done? Would also be curious to know who will take your place there as I see you there more than the owner?

I will have some 15 plus Tropheus Bembas available once I get my 240 going. Feb/March or so. Will you be interested at all?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I no longer work at Conway. I'm Full time Aquarium Co-Op now :shock: I'm not suer who will be replacing me as I gave 3 months notice and when I had left he still hadn't attempted to find a replacement yet.

As for the Bembas, possibly, just depends on the price and tank space available etc. Hard to predict :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Very cool! I know some of the poeple in the area have very high quality fish that they are breeding. When you can buy local and eliminate the long shipping time and cost, you can offer a lot nicer fish that was less stressed for a much better price.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
DMD123 said:
Very cool! I know some of the poeple in the area have very high quality fish that they are breeding. When you can buy local and eliminate the long shipping time and cost, you can offer a lot nicer fish that was less stressed for a much better price.
Actually locally bred fish tend to be more expensive. Labor + shipping is usually cheaper for every fish than American Labor :). For instance wholesale, male bettas are 22 cents each... The amount of work that goes into making that betta, costs a lot more than 22 cents in the USA.

But you're absolutely right. I'll be able to offer my customer a better fish that is healthier. It will on average cost a bit more.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
10 Gallon tanks with Economy tops look as good as I expected lined up on end. What do you guys think? On end being able to house twice as many different species of fish? Or long ways so you can see the fish better?

Pic with the garage door open.
P1020468.jpg

This pic is with the door closed. Much closer to how they'd look in store.
P1020470.jpg

Last pic is the normal way of viewing the 10 gallon for comparison.
P1020469.jpg

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah assuming it's something I want to sell in my store. Large plecos, most large south americans etc won't be able to be traded in. But I do plan on giving credit/cash for fish.

Madness

Staff member
I like the idea of them being on end, as long as the stock in the tanks aren't of several species. If you carry just a couple species in each tank, that would make shopping for them much easier.

What are your intentions as to stocking quantities in each tank?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Each tank is poised to be single species only. With automatic water changes going on, the stocking density can be relatively high in a small footprint. I'm guessing like up to 50 neons per 10 gallons etc.

But when you run a fish store what you'll find is the problem is. What do you do with 2 pairs of apistos and 3 different strains of them? They each need their own tank. 10g, 20g, 55g, would all house the 4 fish... But you're paying for square footage every month.

The goal of this store is to be different. Most stores don't carry a ton of apistos, killifish, bettas, etc. Cause these are all species that need to be seperated in general.

To use an example, a 40 gallon that houses angelfish, corydoras, and tetras, could be housed in 3 10 gallons all seperate and it would take up the same floor space. Also when it comes time to bring in new fish cause you sold out of the tetras, you don't chance getting the angel fish and corydoras sick by putting them into the 40g... etc.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
On top of that, if you need 100 neon tetras to get the store through the week. You are better off putting 50 in each 10 gallon, than putting 100 into a 20 gallon. As if they get sick a lot of times you can save 1 half while not the other etc . Depends where the sickest fish went that started the domino effect etc.

Also with the same neon tetras. You could sell out of one tank one week. The other tank is quarantine. So that your fish would alwyas be in for at least a week on bread and butter stuff etc.

Madness

Staff member
That is exactly what I was thinking and wanted to hear. :D

So whats taking so long? :D

Cant wait Cory. :)