Your vehicles

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
The dealership ordered new parts for me, picked them up today. They didn't replace the pump cover but it's superficial and I have an extra anyway. Got new gaskets, seals and bearing.

Modest_Man

I've pressed a bunch of bearings by using a socket that just fits over the bearing and a C-clamp finished with a rubber mallet to get flush. I could have done a better job with that crappy setup than the dealership did!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I've pressed a bunch of bearings by using a socket that just fits over the bearing and a C-clamp finished with a rubber mallet to get flush. I could have done a better job with that crappy setup than the dealership did!
I have been a mechanic for 20yrs but didn't have a press or access to one. With this water pump there is a ceramic seal that fits Ina recess under the impeller so no banging or it will shatter.
I now have a press.

Modest_Man

What press did you go with? Toyed with the idea of one of the Harbor freight ones but for how infrequently I would use it they take up a lot of space.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
What press did you go with? Toyed with the idea of one of the Harbor freight ones but for how infrequently I would use it they take up a lot of space.
I wanted the 6 ton but there weren't any available in our area so I got the 12ton which I may return once I'm done with it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I wish I was as mechanical as you… my truck finally got the parts It needed to fix the rear end and leaf springs (1.5 months to get them), I checked yesterday and it was finally moved from the yard to the shop to get fixed.

I can’t wait to get it back!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I wish I was as mechanical as you… my truck finally got the parts It needed to fix the rear end and leaf springs (1.5 months to get them), I checked yesterday and it was finally moved from the yard to the shop to get fixed.

I can’t wait to get it back!
Swapping the rear assembly is easy. Replacing the ring and pinion gears requires access to ancient Chinese secrets. :rofl

sir_keith

Legendary Member
For anyone who enjoys such things, I am selling one of my cars on Bring-a-Trailer today. The online auction is scheduled to end at around noon, and we expect the bidding to be spirited.

I will be here with my friend who has acted as my agent during the auction (a. k. a. the 'Seller'), along with an abundant supply of beer, and perhaps something even stronger. Fasten your seatbelts.

35 copy 2.jpg

Last edited:

John58Ford

For anyone who enjoys such things, I am selling one of my cars on Bring-a-Trailer today. The online auction is scheduled to end at around noon, and we expect the bidding to be spirited. Here is the link-

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m3-164/

I will be here with my friend who has acted as my agent during the auction (a. k. a. the 'Seller'), along with an abundant supply of beer, and perhaps something even stronger. Fasten your seatbelts.

View attachment 11315
Always exciting doing auction sales. Good luck!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
For anyone who enjoys such things, I am selling one of my cars on Bring-a-Trailer today. The online auction is scheduled to end at around noon, and we expect the bidding to be spirited. Here is the link-

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m3-164/

View attachment 11315
I had no idea your car was worth that much

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Amazing M3! Definitely worth more than $118K !!!
Auctions can get very odd sometimes, especially at the high end, and this was an aberrant result. We had multiple post-auction offers for considerably higher amounts, but once the initial shock wore off, I discovered that I was actually very happy the car hadn't sold (and I no longer had to respect my reserve). I am now prepping the car for the show car season, and have fitted her with a new set of tires (inside joke!) for some fun driving this summer. BMW no longer makes cars like this, sadly enough.

34919476.DSC_4203R2.jpg

Last edited:

John58Ford

Auctions can get very odd sometimes, especially at the high end, and this was an aberrant result. We had multiple post-auction offers for considerably higher amounts, but once the initial shock wore off, I discovered that I was actually very happy the car hadn't sold. I am now prepping the car for the show car season, and have fitted her with a new set of tires (inside joke!) for some fun driving this summer. BMW no longer makes cars like this, sadly enough.

View attachment 11544
The comments were the entertaining part of that auction for sure. It's was bit like my intro explanation of binary: the ones that get it and th'o'se that don't.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
The comments were the entertaining part of that auction for sure. It's was bit like my intro explanation of binary: the ones that get it and th'o'se that don't.
Yeah. I will be bringing the car down to the 20th Annual E30 Picnic in Spanaway later this month, where many of the local E30 folk who commented during the auction will be in attendance. That should be fun.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. I will be bringing the car down to the 20th Annual E30 Picnic in Spanaway later this month, where many of the local E30 folk who commented during the auction will be in attendance. That should be fun.
Let me know more about this show….. I live about 5 minutes from Spanaway and would love to come shoot the breeze with you.