What did you do with your tank(s) today?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
It was at the one on 82nd in Portland. It wasn't even a display model, tank itself was still in cardboard and glass lids still boxed up etc.
The two I have were also still crated up when I bought them at the PetSmart in Silverdale in 2017. I had no idea it was that long ago! o_O

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got a deal on it as well. Has a small scratch on the left door so they dropped the price by $100, so for $650 instead of sticker price of $750. Still more than the $472 I paid for my first one, but not complaining as it may be that last of the cheap Petsmart 125s as most of the Petsmarts I called said they only stock 75gal and smaller now.

Been contemplating the sudden removal of it from thier website and from the Aqueon website as well. Possibly the company contracted to build the stands folded due to covid and they are currently looking for a new one?
Just for fun you should contact Aqueon about the door scratch... let them know you bought it new, there is no more available and can they send you a replacement door? Might be interesting to see what info they give you.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Got home from work and just relaxed with the fish. Just fed and watched. Lots of ideas going but raining out so didn’t work on any of those ideas. Got new phone set up today. Will try and get some fish pics with it to see how it does. On paper the specs look good but Motorola are not really known for their camera or picture quality, mostly bang for the buck. I did get pretty nice pics with my last Motorola which was still going strong after 4 years but just running slow. So test pics to come soon.

Jexnell

Today a guy who bought one of my FX filters is coming over to get me Nanolutae, Bushynose pleco, Cory cat, and Bleeding Heart tetras. That leaves just my PTC left. It will help with dither duties for the Carpintis, along with some Pineapple Swordtails. The Lyonsi will get Green Swordtails.
Gonna set up for the tank swap tomorrow as well. Get the back of the new tank painted etc.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool @Jexnell, This is one thing I wish I would have done with my fishroom, made space for two 125 gallon tanks. The 90's are nice but still pushes limits with certain species I keep. Even a 48 x 24 footprint, 120 gallon tank would have been a nicer choice but would have had to figure out a whole different rack system. Anyway, look forward to your updates on this project.

Last edited:

Jexnell

What kind of paint are you using? I'm planning to go to painted black backgrounds on my tanks, and don't know whether to brush, roll or spray the tanks. Acrylic or latex?
I roll on interior matte latex. Then use a brush touch up along the frame to fill any gaps. Use a 1/4in nap roller

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
What would you do?
This is the sand I got.

It says to just add to tank no rinse, for salt water use of course.

I was thinking rinse the salt water stuff out of it and bam good black sand. But do I have to rinse it. Any salt water would be diluted by the 125 gallons of fresh right? And salt microorganisms would die off?
Dump it into a bucket with some water first and see what it does. If it clouds the water then you already have it in a bucket.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@Jexnell, Mentioned it on your MFK post that this sand may raise your PH. I thought some African Cichlid keepers like this aragonite sand (calcium carbonate?) to maintain a high PH... The salt and bacteria should wash away with a freshwater rinse.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
What would you do?
This is the sand I got.

It says to just add to tank no rinse, for salt water use of course.

I was thinking rinse the salt water stuff out of it and bam good black sand. But do I have to rinse it. Any salt water would be diluted by the 125 gallons of fresh right? And salt microorganisms would die off?
Not something I would take a chance on, but then, I'm super careful about this kind of thing because I keep fishes that are very sensitive to water chemistry. Why not just exchange it for the analogous product that is made specifically for African cichlids?

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 3.45.39 PM.png

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I roll on interior matte latex. Then use a brush touch up along the frame to fill any gaps. Use a 1/4in nap roller
I think I'm going to go with Krylon Fusion, which is specifically made for things like plastic and glass. I'm also going to go with the spray cans so I don't have to apply so much paint. We'll see how that works. ;)

Jexnell

Not something I would take a chance on, but then, I'm super careful about this kind of thing because I keep fishes that are very sensitive to water chemistry. Why not just exchange it for the analogous product that is made specifically for African cichlids?

Mostly the grain size. Zak black varies from .5 to 7mm the Hawaiian sand is .5 to 1mm. Also Zak is rather course more like crushed rock.
A good soak in chlorinated city water will kill off any salt microorganisms.