What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Thanks for that info @Jexnell, I saw a few others had done something similar to help prevent the fish from moving the divider.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So after calling seven Petsmarts I found one that had 1 Aqueon 125gal combo left. Three of them said they only carry up to 75gal only, was making me nervous.
So... are you able to get it?

Jexnell

So... are you able to get it?
Yes, she said she will hold it for me till midnight tomorrow. I told her how this was the 5th store I called, none if the others had one. She said buy it online for In-store pickup and that would hold it. I told her how it's not even in the online add anymore. Then she goes well in that case I'll hold it for you.
Many thanks were given.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Received the latest copy of Cichlid News, and was happy to see a featherfin, Cunningtonia longiventralis, on the cover, along with an article by Ad Konings. These are algae grazers, unlike other featherfins, and rarely seen in the hobby.

cover2021apr.jpg

Also articles on two Neotropical oldies-but-goodies, Chocolate Cichlids and Convict Cichlids, a highly aggressive dwarf Mbuna from Lake Malawi, and a riverine Chromidotilapia from West Africa. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I stopped by Lowe’s and picked up a sheet of the “egg crate” ceiling light grate. Played with cutting it with diagonal cutters and also a flush cut pull saw. The saw cut it nicely and I can touch it up with a plastic file. Since its a glass tank Ithink this stuff should work without scratching. Now I just have to find the time to work on it.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Today I did gravel vacs on all of my tanks in the garage (6 tanks), and shot this quick video of the new jewels, black belt cichlid, and midevil just prior to the water changes....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I stopped by Lowe’s and picked up a sheet of the “egg crate” ceiling light grate. Played with cutting it with diagonal cutters and also a flush cut pull saw. The saw cut it nicely and I can touch it up with a plastic file. Since its a glass tank Ithink this stuff should work without scratching. Now I just have to find the time to work on it.
I just use a large screw driver to cut mine... just straight down breaking the section I want to split away.....it makes a mess and you still need to smooth a couple of pieces, but I can divide the sheet in like 30 seconds with an additional minute to smooth.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Today I did gravel vacs on all of my tanks in the garage (6 tanks), and shot this quick video of the new jewels, black belt cichlid, and midevil just prior to the water changes....

Not happy with the quality of this video once on YouTube... it’s crystal clear on my phone

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Where did you cruise out to?
Nowhere special. Just headed east out of Liberty Bay, past Keyport, and then did a lap around Bainbridge Island. First outing of the year, and really enjoyed it. Love anything having to do with the water. :)

Jexnell

20210407_184947.jpg

I got it home today. Tomorrow or next day will swap it with the oak tank. What stuff that's needed, air pump and heater, sand will be here by Monday. Filters have been jump started with some cycled media and running one each on my tanks till mid month or so when the Lyonsi come in.

Jexnell

@Jexnell, Awesome glad you found one and got it! Look forward to your new fish too.
Got a deal on it as well. Has a small scratch on the left door so they dropped the price by $100, so for $650 instead of sticker price of $750. Still more than the $472 I paid for my first one, but not complaining as it may be that last of the cheap Petsmart 125s as most of the Petsmarts I called said they only stock 75gal and smaller now.

Been contemplating the sudden removal of it from thier website and from the Aqueon website as well. Possibly the company contracted to build the stands folded due to covid and they are currently looking for a new one?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Got a deal on it as well. Has a small scratch on the left door so they dropped the price by $100, so for $650 instead of sticker price of $750. Still more than the $472 I paid for my first one, but not complaining as it may be that last of the cheap Petsmart 125s as most of the Petsmarts I called said they only stock 75gal and smaller now.

Been contemplating the sudden removal of it from thier website and from the Aqueon website as well. Possibly the company contracted to build the stands folded due to covid and they are currently looking for a new one?
Congratulations! Nice catch! Which PetSmart did you get this from?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are some supply line issues related to the pandemic going on here. That said, I don't think Aqueon will stop building big tanks, so I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to buy the next one- if that's the direction I decide to take- they will be available again. That's not likely to be before mid-summer, so we'll see. Other options for that 8' wall would be two 75's side-by-side, or an 8 ' tank, if one were to fall into my lap... :cool:

Jexnell

Congratulations! Nice catch! Which PetSmart did you get this from?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are some supply line issues related to the pandemic going on here. That said, I don't think Aqueon will stop building big tanks, so I'm hoping that by the time I'm ready to buy the next one- if that's the direction I decide to take- they will be available again. That's not likely to be before mid-summer, so we'll see. Other options for that 8' wall would be two 75's side-by-side, or an 8 ' tank, if one were to fall into my lap... :cool:

It was at the one on 82nd in Portland. It wasn't even a display model, tank itself was still in cardboard and glass lids still boxed up etc.