What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Petsmart does weird stuff on their website. I once got a Fluval canister on clearance, it was listed as the FX5 and still able to purchase online for in store pick up. This was after the fact it was discontinued. I cant remember price but it was under $200. So I purchase and I go to pick up and it’s actually a newer FX6. I think they were using the old item as a placeholder for the new one... maybe this is the case for the 125. Just a placeholder for the new replacement?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Petsmart does weird stuff on their website. I once got a Fluval canister on clearance, it was listed as the FX5 and still able to purchase online for in store pick up. This was after the fact it was discontinued. I cant remember price but it was under $200. So I purchase and I go to pick up and it’s actually a newer FX6. I think they were using the old item as a placeholder for the new one... maybe this is the case for the 125. Just a placeholder for the new replacement?
That's exactly what I'm thinking...

I also scored an FX-6 for ~$200 at PetSmart in 2019 (and another brand new FX-6 from @Tank just a little while before that! :)).

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Right before leaving for my brothers yesterday, I saw two dead neon tetras... I scooped them out and planned a water change for today. Figured maybe they passed because of angel fish aggression or something...

this morning I woke up to another dead tetra, a cory, and my paradise fish all dead.... as I went to fish them out, I noticed my tank particularly chilly.... I got out a temporary thermometer and checked.... temps in tank in the low 60s, like barely 60°. I checked my eheim 300w and it was set to 76 but wasn’t warm to the touch.

long story short, I went to AP but the largest aquarium masters heater and did a massive water change and gravel vac to get rid of any potential ammonia spikes .

side note: this is the 3rd eheim I’ve used on this tank and none of them appear to work.... the ones I have in the garage are all keeping those tanks heated nicely ( knock on wood), as my garage is unheated.

no new fish for this tank till next month, I want to make sure everything stabilizes

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Right before leaving for my brothers yesterday, I saw two dead neon tetras... I scooped them out and planned a water change for today. Figured maybe they passed because of angel fish aggression or something...

this morning I woke up to another dead tetra, a cory, and my paradise fish all dead.... as I went to fish them out, I noticed my tank particularly chilly.... I got out a temporary thermometer and checked.... temps in tank in the low 60s, like barely 60°. I checked my eheim 300w and it was set to 76 but wasn’t warm to the touch.

long story short, I went to AP but the largest aquarium masters heater and did a massive water change and gravel vac to get rid of any potential ammonia spikes .

side note: this is the 3rd eheim I’ve used on this tank and none of them appear to work.... the ones I have in the garage are all keeping those tanks heated nicely ( knock on wood), as my garage is unheated.

no new fish for this tank till next month, I want to make sure everything stabilizes
Bummer. The only thing worse than that is when the heater gets stuck 'ON,' and you wake up one morning to find a tank full of fish soup. That actually happened to me a couple of years ago; lost an entire Tropheus colony. QQ

This is not the first time I've heard about an Eheim 300 konking out, and for that reason I avoid them. Have had no problems at all with the Eheim 250's. Maybe the 300 generates too much heat and fries itself?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer. The only thing worse than that is when the heater gets stuck 'ON,' and you wake up one morning to find a tank full of fish soup. That actually happened to me a couple of years ago; lost an entire Tropheus colony. QQ

This is not the first time I've heard about an Eheim 300 konking out, and for that reason I avoid them. Have had no problems at all with the Eheim 250's. Maybe the 300 generates too much heat and fries itself?
Could be! I will slowly replace all of them over the course of the next few months... I’d like to try this aquarium master heater for a month or two before deciding.... in the summer, I unplug all of my heaters in the garage anyways.

I will say my green jaeger / eheim heater that I’ve had for the last 26 years ( and I got it used) is still kicking in my bedroom tank. It has been constantly used the entire time except maybe a few hours here and there when I’ve moved in the past.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Man, that sucks. Was it that new heater you got from me? That was less than a year old!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Took the day off work to get some chores done around the house. Started off morning with garage water changes and to my shock found my hairy puffer dead. She was with me for 6 years and 10 months and has always been my absolute favorite fish Ive owned for personality besides my old pearsei cichlid. Im kind of in shock... didn’t see it coming. She was acting normal yesterday and today to find her dead, that was harsh.

Will use her tank for a trimac growout for a bit until I figure out what I want to do. Not sure if I want to do another hairy puffer or maybe something like a red wolf...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Took the day off work to get some chores done around the house. Started off morning with garage water changes and to my shock found my hairy puffer dead. She was with me for 6 years and 10 months and has always been my absolute favorite fish Ive owned for personality besides my old pearsei cichlid. Im kind of in shock... didn’t see it coming. She was acting normal yesterday and today to find her dead, that was harsh.

Will use her tank for a trimac growout for a bit until I figure out what I want to do. Not sure if I want to do another hairy puffer or maybe something like a red wolf...
That is sad news.

sir_keith

Legendary Member

Sorry to hear about that. It's always sad to lose a fish, but to lose one that was a pal for so many years, without warning, that's tough.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Lots of activity in my Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Kipili Gold colony last night, and this morning my most reliable and productive female (#2) is holding again. It's funny, she is the smallest and not the prettiest female in the tank, but the alpha-male clearly likes her the best. In spite of being the smallest female, she has given me the largest brood (15) so far. So now I really need to get my fish room upgrade done in the next 3 weeks, or put it off another month. Hopefully the former.

Here is the alpha male in normal coloration-

IMGP6613R4.jpg

And this morning, still in breeding dress. Impossible to photograph this tank in the morning without getting reflections from the windows facing the garden-

IMG_2571R1.jpg

Jexnell

Emailed Kevin at TUIC to ask if Carpinitis would be coming in same time as the Lyonsi. He said Lyonsi will be in this week or next. Not sure on the Carpinitis. So I got some from The Wet Spot.
6x Herichthys Carpinitis "Escondido"
6xf 1xm Red Tuxedo Swordtails
20210412_133430.jpg
In tank now just to much glare this time of the day for picks. All attacked some NLS flakes I tossed in.

Will post vid picks later

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just did water change yesterday in the 65b puffer tank, but with his death, did a deep scrub down gravel vac/ water change again today. Moved over a trimac into the tank.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I tried decapsulating BB eggs. Mild success but I need a new BS net as I lost a bunch when I rinsed them. Hoping for a better hatch rate.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I had a brine shrimp factory going when I was a graduate student, because I was raising Apistogramma. Years later I tried to do it again, with dismal results in terms of hatch rate. Everyone told me, 'It's the eggs. We don't get the quality we used to.' It was a terrible situation, but I was a captive customer, because by then I was raising F1 angelfish. Has that changed at all? I mean, back then I was getting maybe 20% hatched on a good day. I haven't had to do that in years, because the kinds of fishes I raise now produce well-developed fry that are not very demanding food-wise. :)

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I had a brine shrimp factory going when I was a graduate student, because I was raising Apistogramma. Years later I tried to do it again, with dismal results in terms of hatch rate. Everyone told me, 'It's the eggs. We don't get the quality we used to.' It was a terrible situation, but I was a captive customer, because by then I was raising F1 angelfish. Has that changed at all? I mean, back then I was getting maybe 20% hatched on a good day. I haven't had to do that in years, because the kinds of fishes I raise now produce well-developed fry that are not very demanding food-wise. :)
It seems hit or miss. I have had great hatch rates with 95% hatched and the next batch is 20%. I'm not even entirely certain that unhatched eggs could have killed off my Redhead Tapajo fry. If I decapsulate first I won't have those worries.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
It seems hit or miss. I have had great hatch rates with 95% hatched and the next batch is 20%. I'm not even entirely certain that unhatched eggs could have killed off my Redhead Tapajo fry. If I decapsulate first I won't have those worries.
How are you decapsulating them? I can't remember how I used to do that, but it wasn't very effective. I imagine that methods have gotten better...

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
How are you decapsulating them? I can't remember how I used to do that, but it wasn't very effective. I imagine that methods have gotten better...
Soak the eggs for an hour in regular water then add equal part bleach and stir. I think they eggs were in the bleach solution for a little more than 10min. I didn't get them foaming action that some articles mention. I think I will try a stronger bleach concentration next time.