Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Added a new poly to my mix, a Nigerian lap

It is skinny and in qt so it looks pretty bland

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
Added a new poly to my mix, a Nigerian lap

It is skinny and in qt so it looks pretty bland

Where do you find these huge fish? There's no "Ancient Anphibian-Like-Fish Mart" that I know of.

I like the spots on the Nigerian. Have you named her/him yet?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Where do you find these huge fish? There's no "Ancient Anphibian-Like-Fish Mart" that I know of.

I like the spots on the Nigerian. Have you named her/him yet?
There really is no local store for these bichirs. I order them online and have them delivered to the house.

No name for the new poly yet.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Nice pickup!! :) :) Love the speckling. Interesting how patterning can vary so much depending on catch location!
Nigerian laps are overlooked a lot when they are in store because they look so dull. Once they settle in they do develop a nice pattern. Think how bad your endli looked when it came in and what it looks like now that it is settled in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Oh holy night! But yours is Albino? Or is that how they look when you first get them? Sorry. I'm a Giant Fish Dumb Dumb.

I gotta tell you though, you and Fishbeast and Lloyd are really making me want a BIG FISH in my life.

That really is how they come in, and it takes like a good month to really see the true color and pattern.

Here is the before shot

Same fish in the back

This is Croc now

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
WOW!!!!

tells self *must stop wanting these fish* *must stop wanting these fish*
Thats right you really dont want them, you need them, lol. Whats another tank or two?

It took me a long time to commit to bichir and even then I started with the smaller types like the 'dinosaur eel' or sen that you find at Petsmart and my fancy one was the delhezi. Then one day it just clicked that the big polys were kind of cool and it was all downhill from there

FishBeast

Nigerian laps are overlooked a lot when they are in store because they look so dull. Once they settle in they do develop a nice pattern. Think how bad your endli looked when it came in and what it looks like now that it is settled in.
Exactly! Their "transport/shock colors" are always super pale and washed out. I am excited to see how yours colors up once it settles!