Stock change, what was I thinking? More bichirs

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Recently decide to take the plunge and go to the dark side of bichir keeping and purchased a couple lower jaw polys. These came from Toyin at Rehoboth Aquatics. These are both wild caught, and a little over 13" each with potential to get to be 20-22" fish as adults. They have hearty appetites and eat tilapia, market shrimp and krill. They also have went after pellets so they dont seem too picky. They are still adating to their new surrounding so are still a bit faded. They do great with my larger cichlids and of course people who see them for the first time always have a ton of questions about them.

Sp. Koliba lap

Dabola endli (Tinkisso river)

Seems to get along well with others including the weeksii

The endli has a cool stance as it sniffs out food

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Loving the look of the endli
Yeah, me too! When I first got this crazy idea to do some big lower jaws, thats when I decided to rehome the smaller bichir. Some have success with the smaller upper jaws and larger lower jaws but I did not want to risk it. How are the bichir doing for you?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Came home to something sad... Nothing to do with the bichir themselves but sort of. One of them ate Bruce the bala shark. It was pretty little and it had made a home with all the other fish just fine and then the two new guys show up and its now gone. Too tight of lids to have jumped out so I know what happened.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, they are my latest obsession.

Yeah, little Bruce was way too trusting. He was very wary when he first was put in the tank but he was lulled into a false sense of security and it cost him.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A couple updated pics

The koliba lap has darkened up

The endli is a beast! Ive decide to name him Croc

The famous bichir yawn

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Not picture taking skills! They are pretty much lumps that sit in place for a long time. When they decide they want to be active they are out and about quite a bit. So far all pics have been with them 'posing'/sitting for me.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Updated pics of my Dabola Endli from Toyin. Super fast growth rate with the fish coming in at 13.5" and just one month goes by and it is up to 15"! It is housed in a 300g (96 x 24 x 30) with a Sp Koliba lap (WC), Weeksii (WC), teugelsi (CB). This endli is extremely territorial and aggressive compared to my others. It chases off the other bichirs from its special spot and it bites them. A very outgoing fish that I could likely hand feed with a little effort. It will come up and surface feed on pellets too.

Here is my 'Croc'

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice! I'd like to see porkchop in the pic with him for reference purposes....

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I will see what I can do... They dont pose the way I want them to, lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I have not updated in a while and figured I should
Two new poly's in the mix, just arrived this past Saturday:
new1s4.jpg

new1s5.jpg

So what are they? The lager one is a Faranah lap. and the smaller one an ansorgii

Some in tank shots
new1s8.jpg

new1s9.jpg

The lap coloring up
new1s6.jpg

I hope the wild pattern shows up when it settles in
glap1.jpg

The ansorgii

Currently have 6 bichir and my largest is about 17". These guys are very cool fish. These two new ones are also from Toyin at Rehoboth Aquatics

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
And more pics of the others from the 300g

Weeksii

Croc the Dabola Endli (Tinkisso river)

Just a yawn
a1.4.jpg

Koliba lap

Teugelsi (captive bred)

Just a few random pics

click

Last edited:

Betty

Staff member
Cool new additions. The yawn pic is great. Your tank is always so clean -- I'm jealous. :thumbsup

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Lol, thanks Betty. But I laugh because the tank seems dirty to me.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice! The new additions have such flat head shapes. It's very unique looking! The endli or the teug are probably my favorites

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I did not like endli for the longest time until I saw wild caught, then I fell in love. Im starting to be a bichir snob... 5 out of my current 6 are wild caught. The endli is a beast, must be about 17"+ now.

I liked the pic of the teugelsi you texted me. It is a good looking fish. Looks big next to the gold dust.

Last edited: