Stock change, what was I thinking? More bichirs

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
The Nigerian ate some tilapia last night. That is always a happy moment and takes the stress off.

here it is today

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Log pile

My Koliba lap.
Still have not given this one a proper name but that face always reminds me of the raptors on Jurassic Park

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I really hate how skinny the bichirs are when they come in. Mine is eating tilapia and it has a little belly bulge going today

Look at how thin they are!

FishBeast

I really hate how skinny the bichirs are when they come in. Mine is eating tilapia and it has a little belly bulge going today

Look at how thin they are!
Mine ate 1 massivore pellet the first day but none since (had to pull to food out when I got home from work yesterday)... I really like the speckling/mottling on the tail of your specimen. Should be gorgeous when it colors up again!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had tried some massivore but it did not touch it. So far it likes tilapia the best so that is the first step to fatten it up a bit. I also tried frozen smelt which it ate a little bit of and krill which it did not touch. I like to vary the diet a little thats why I do the other stuff too. The smelt was a new thing i tried from the Asian market. It just has all those things found in an entire fish instead of the fillets that are only meat.

Betty

Staff member
Do people successfully spawn birchirs in aquariums? Is it easy to tell male from female?

FishBeast

I had tried some massivore but it did not touch it. So far it likes tilapia the best so that is the first step to fatten it up a bit. I also tried frozen smelt which it ate a little bit of and krill which it did not touch. I like to vary the diet a little thats why I do the other stuff too. The smelt was a new thing i tried from the Asian market. It just has all those things found in an entire fish instead of the fillets that are only meat.
I might pick up some smelt. Makes sense to feed them whole foods...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Do people successfully spawn birchirs in aquariums? Is it easy to tell male from female?
Not often are they successfully spawned. Problem actually seems to be trying to feed the newly hatched polys.

They do need to be larger in size to sex, but it is determined by the anal fin shape.
Found this online to explain
sexingpolys2-jpg.499885

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I might pick up some smelt. Makes sense to feed them whole foods...
Frozen anchovies, silversides or the like. The silversides at the pet store are outrageously priced compared to the fish at the Asian markets.

Betty

Staff member
Interesting. By the anal fins, I would have thought exactly the opposite. :oops: With most fish I've kept, the narrow pointier anal fins are usually male.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

Awww. Sweet angel baby! I can't wait to see her all fattened up and eating like a pig -- er, I mean like Pork Chop!

FishBeast

Frozen anchovies, silversides or the like. The silversides at the pet store are outrageously priced compared to the fish at the Asian markets.
Tell me about it... I impulsively bought Hikari silversides. Cost more per pound than halibut. QQ:roflo_O