Southern Delight fish food

Betty

Staff member
Anthony J. said:
Betty said:
I have been feeding NLS for years and have no complaints.  I've tried plenty of other food samples and have yet to find one that I like as much as NLS. I did pick up a sample of the Southern Delight food at the swap and I'm going to give it a try soon.
You know Betty, you have to be my favorite fishboxer. And, that's not because of what you feed. Always straight to the point "here is my opinion" and that's it. I Always smile when I see you have posted. Kinda of random in the middle of this conversation,  but, just thought I would share. Let us know if you see any positive or negative impact with this please.
Thank you, Anthony. :) 

RD. said:
Betty, I just realized that you and I are the same age.  I guess we go back a few yrs in more ways than one.  lol
RD, I had no idea you were such an old guy. :shock: 

I really like the food that I've been feeding my fish for the past several years, but I'm sure there are other good quality foods out there.  I have to admit that I don't do a lot of research on the subject of food. I do look at the ingredients lists, but it's not the only thing that I compare.  I look at the poop!  When fed some of the foods I've tried in the past, the fish produced a lot waste. I don't see that much with nls. One of the distributors mentioned fish making less waste with Southern Delight and I'm interested in trying the sample I picked up and comparing it (poop) to what I see now.

dwarfpike

RD. said:
FYI - I'm not looking to rip anyones post apart, I'm just trying to keep things real.
Awww, but that's the most entertaining part of being in a thread with you RD!!! Maybe it was because I didn't say something silly like "I found this link under this one specific condition so thus it must apply to everything everywhere no matter what!!!" I'll try to be more silly next time!!! :geek: 

I would be curious at what ppm NLS does use it, but if I read your post correctly they aren't the ones adding it. It is shipped in with the various seafood meals they purchase for production. That means they would have to test each batch to get an idea since it various by the meal producer, adding quite a bit to the expense of the food.

I would also assume (yeah, I know, bad) that since it's added to meal, it is bound into a non soluble form.

RD.

Correct, New Life has never added any type of preservative to their products, other than ample amounts of tocopherols (vitamin E), and citric acid (vitamin C).  Considering the fact that one can now source naturally preserved fish meal, there's nothing saying that their food contains any amount of artificial preservatives, but I honestly do not know as that would be information beyond my scope. I've been out of the fish food game for some time now and have no idea what each & every raw ingredient in NLS  is or isn't preserved with. Honestly, I seriously doubt that many manufacturers  would even know. This isn't dog food, where only 1 ingredient (fish meal, and/or salmon meal) is being used, and requires testing.  Most quality fish foods contain a number of aquatic based raw ingredients that contain fatty acids, which all require some type of preservative in order to remain stable up to the pellet/flake processing stage. That, and in fish food, and feeding fish, there has never been any type of association with any type of preservative, and health issues in fish. As I explained in the MFK link posted previously, dogs are much more sensitive to certain artificial preservatives than rats, and I'm assuming fish.  It doesn't mean that at extreme levels some of these substances can't be toxic to a fish, but that could be said about many things found in fish food, including certain vitamins.

But this thread isn't about NLS, it's about a relatively new food, one that hasn't withstood the test of time.  One where the promoters would have you believing that chicken quills, corn, and soybeans contain nutrients superior to all those before them.

Betty - ouch!  lol 

While the waste produced by fish can generally be used as a guide to the overall digestibilty and/or quality of the food, this is NOT the case when probiotics are added to the food.  If a fish feed company is using a stable form of probiotic, one that can handle the high heat of extrusion, and that is in high enough numbers of live spores that it will have an affect on the reduction of solid waste (the only fish waste that one can see with the naked eye) the waste produced by the fish will be less, and the waste produced will further break down in ones tank.  BUT, that has nothing to do with digestibility, and/or quality of the feed.  Bacillus sp spores that are used in fish food,  are the same bacteria used in septic tank bacteria, and they produce the same results in both applications - the reduction of solid waste. 

Certainly some of these bacteria have been shown in some studies and using certain species of fish that these bacteria can improve the overall feed conversion ratio ....... but of foods that mostly consist of wheat & soybeans. Of course that's a non issue for anyone that is NOT feeding large amounts of terrestrial based starch derived from wheat, soybeans, corn, etc to their fish.

But that's the part that Keita Harada, the top researcher at Hikari's Kyorin Research facility in Japan failed to mention when corresponding with me a few years back. (see below) Ditto to Cobalt Aquatics, Southern Delight, and every other company who will follow suit & jump on the latest probiotic bandwagon, while using soybeans, corn, etc in their food -instead of simply using higher quality ingredients with greater overall digestibility.

From an organic reduction standpoint, this isn't exactly cutting edge technology. These exact same heterotrophic bacteria have been used to digest & remove waste from septic systems for decades, the only difference being that in the past no one referred to them as probiotics.  In the aquarium trade they have been marketed and sold as sludge reducers, for decades.

With regards to Hikari, and their "probiotic" formula,  the following was sent to me in 2010 regarding a question I had about this very subject. The person responding to that question was Mr. Keita Harada, one of the top researchers at Hikari's Kyorin Research facility in Japan.

Dear Neil,

Thanks for your understanding.

>Personally I believe that one can keep their tank water & filters clean
by simply performing regular maintenance.

Yes you are right, if koi are kept in good environment with proper filtering and maintenance, additional probiotics is not necessary.

But with help of probiotics, the frequency of maintenance, water change and filter cleaning can be reduced.

Please remember that Saki-Hikari, our probiotics added koi food, is originally developed for koi breeder. For professionals, reducing maintenance means less labor, which implies higher profit.

For this field probiotics is quite effective.

With best regards,

Regards,
Harada 
This was designed to reduce waste, in what for many fish keepers would equate to a food that is being assimilated better by their fish.  But it's not, it simply means less maintenance, and the potential reduction in pathogenic (bad) bacteria. I don't argue that fact which is why I add Baccillus sp. bacteria to my tank water on a regular basis, and pay a fraction of what it would cost for the exact same bacteria via the aquatic trade.  :) Anyone interested in this area might be interested in reading this. 

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?536531-The-Use-of-Probiotics-in-Aquaculture

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
This is funny that a topic called 'Southern Delight Fish Food' turned in to why NLS is so awesome.  :shock: Seriously guys stop hijacking! Start your own thread  :suspect: 

So I am going to get back on subject, the food which this topic was about. I obtained some generous sized samples of the Large Cichlid Pellets and so far this is my observation.

1. The fish readily accepted it. This is important, duh! I tried another brand of pellet that was so dense and coated with a vitamin mix that the initial reaction of the fish was to spit it out and acceptance was a bit of an issue. Let alone this stuff is kind of a boutique food that is hard to get in the size I need.

2. The pellets do not make a big mess when fed. This point was a huge issue because I was feeding another brand and it was getting ground up even though I was using a much smaller pellet. It would cause a ring around the tank like a gross bathtub ring. Thats pretty bad considering my 210g get 3 water changes a week with me cleaning this 'ring' up every time! Not overstocked or overfed. I portion out my food by measuring spoon. They are fed consistently the same amount.

3. No gross smell from the food or my tank water. Some other foods Ive used stink when you open the can. Others have caused a reek to the tank water after feeding. My wife is the first to 'remind' me how bad this is.... I like the fact this leaves no smell.

4. This one is left open for the waste.... (got to wait till they poop). Another brand I have fed caused the fish to have a red fart cloud waste that was more trouble than it was worth. I call it fishy diarrhea. I have to wait and see how this stuff does, but I have faith I wont see this issue, since I really have seen this issue with only one brand I was feeding.

So with all the people that got free samples why are you not telling us your thoughts?
Please do not be bullied by others, its your opinion and you have a right to express it here.

Please note: I did not 'name' any of the competing products to start a flame war on food. I am trying to stay on topic and have a 'grown up' discussion. Can we all keep it that way? Please?

RD.

LMAO, what on earth are you talking about? 

The first person to mention NLS in this discussion was none other than you.  Which was then followed by one of the vendors of Southern Delight (mrmann), and came off as challenging New Life's integrity, or knowledge base, and again later by one of the so called sponsors of this food. (madness)  The latter comment which clearly was an attempt to place food manufacturered by New Life in a bad light. 

NLS huh? Are all of you aware that NLS uses a banned pesticide as an ingredient? It is called Ethoxquin, this chemical is banned in half the country.

Is that the type of grown up discussion that you are seeking?  One where someone associated with the competition can simply make things up as they go along? 

In fact, in my previous comment I even stated:

But this thread isn't about NLS, it's about a relatively new food, one that hasn't withstood the test of time.  One where the promoters would have you believing that chicken quills, corn, and soybeans contain nutrients superior to all those before them.

Is that what you are referring to as hijacking, or were those comments directed at someone else?

Please do not be bullied by others, its your opinion and you have a right to express it here.

I concur 100%, which means that ALL opinions from ALL members should have that same right, even if their comments are not positive ones, or (gasp) challenge the status quo.

Madness

Staff member
OK seriously I am not going to get into a pissing match about he said you said. The bashing of SD was started by a member on here that is an NLS user, which is his prerogative, NLS is a great food. But the comments were flat out unnecessary. I myself also made a comment that was unnecessary, and I am man enough to step up and admit that.

But this is a thread talking about a new product which is what this forum is for. Questions and concerns or comments are welcome. But the bashing of the foods ( notice that is plural) stops now, and the snide remarks about other members stops now.

If you want to start another thread about bashing foods, please do that. If you want to start a thread on how great NLS is or any other food is, please do that also. I believe we already have a thread similar to this already started.

This forum is for product review, that is a review of a product that has been used. I may have started this SD thread in the incorrect forum, but I am unable to move, so here it remains, so those of you that have tried the product please let us know your comments.

So with that said, regardless if I am a sponsor of SD or any other products, I am not posting this because of that, I am posting this because I have been asked to by other members that are tired of reading it.

Thank you in advance for following this request.

Livebearer

Madness said:
NLS huh?  Are all of you aware that NLS uses a banned pesticide as an ingredient?  It is called Ethoxquin, this chemical is banned in half the country.  
Madness,
After seeing your post I looked at the ingredience on my container of N.L.S. "small fish formula" and do not see this ingredient/chemical listed at least on this particular formula. Thanks for bringing this to attention. There is a direct contact # on the container (305)245-1906
Also says this product is manufactured in the U.S.A.
New life spectrum Int., Homestead Fl. Or
www.nlsfishfood.com

Madness

Staff member
Livebearer said:
Madness said:
NLS huh?  Are all of you aware that NLS uses a banned pesticide as an ingredient?  It is called Ethoxquin, this chemical is banned in half the country.  
Madness,
After seeing your post I looked at the ingredience on my container of N.L.S. "small fish formula" and do not see this ingredient/chemical listed at least on this particular formula. Thanks for bringing this to attention. There is a direct contact # on the container (305)245-1906
Also says this product is manufactured in the U.S.A.  
New life spectrum Int., Homestead Fl. Or
www.nlsfishfood.com
Thanks for the input, but this thread is about Southern Delight. The comments regarding all other foods including NLS were not to be done on this thread, so I am trying to get it back on topic.

Please read RD's response to the Ethoxquin. We have another thread that talks about all the foods, please submit any comments regarding these foods there.

Thank you

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Madness said:
We have another thread that talks about all the foods, please submit any comments regarding these foods there.
 :iagree: 
I came to talk about Southern delight on this one.

I have continued my testing. I am going to try another food company suggestion to feed exclusively for 10 days and see the results. If I dont see any benefits from feeding Southern Delight then no big deal, no loss, I finish it up and move back to my former feed.

RD.

I myself also made a comment that was unnecessary, and I am man enough to step up and admit that.
Thank-you. And on that note, that comment was not just unnecessary, it was incorrect. As a food additive, ethoxyquin is not banned in any part of the country. It is used in various raw ingredients destined for pet food, and it is still commonly used as an FDA approved color preservative in human grade food, including paprika, ground chili, and chili powder.

Madness

Staff member
RD. said:
I myself also made a comment that was unnecessary, and I am man enough to step up and admit that.
Thank-you. And on that note, that comment was not just unnecessary, it was incorrect. As a food additive, ethoxyquin is not banned in any part of the country. It is used in various raw ingredients  destined for pet food, and it is still commonly used as an FDA approved color preservative in human grade food, including paprika, ground chili, and chili powder.
How about manning up on some of your unnecessary comments? Or are you not able to do that?

RD.

I stand behind each & every comment that I make on a public forum, here, and everywhere else. I have no problem manning up to that.

Madness

Staff member
That is the answer I expected.

With that said, this is a thread regarding the Southern delight food, and anything other than that will be dealt with.

Have a great day RD.

Livebearer

O.k.
Didn't mean to get off topic. Just was concerned if this or any food had a toxic ingredient will look at all labals from now on.
As for the S.D. samples I got from you at the cartel, first I wanted to THANK YOU for comming all the way up there just to offer them to fishbox members! :D  I got a sample of the Veggie krill that day. I raise smaller fish than most here do and so far so good!  The 2mm pellets break up within a short period and seem to be digested within a few hours. They seem to take to it well and don't seem to be constipated like I've experienced from some other brands I've tried.
 So me and all 120 fish I keep give this a  :cheers:  :plus1:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your thoughts on it Livebearer.
I also got some Powerfeed and growth to try out. My fish took to it right away with no issues.

Betty

Staff member
DMD123 said:
So with all the people that got free samples why are you not telling us your thoughts?
I haven't been using it long enough...
But for starters, I way overfed the first time!  I guess it was because I'm used to feeding a smaller pellet size.  I dropped some in the tank and it quickly disappeared, so I added more.  When I looked at the fish, they looked like they were all holding.  :shock: And because the pellets were larger, the fish made a bit of a mess chewing it up. There was a lot of poop after that first overfeeding and with later feedings I haven't noticed much of a difference from what I'm feeding now in amount -- just color.

For most of my fish, the pellet size of the Veggie Krill sample I picked up is too big.

KaraWolf

Betty I got the small cichlid food and the pellets are too big for my tetra(they make funny faces and they spit/eat until it breaks up; but they eat just about every crumb if I crush it up.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I will review it soon. I have quite a bit coming soon. After reading so much on numerous foods, and hearing so much about all of the various foods that I haven't tried yet(beyond the ingredient list) , from the flowerhorn forum I belong to, I have to say I'm really hoping it pans out.

Betty

Staff member
Kara, mine are chewing it up and expelling tiny little particles that are probably getting pulled into the filters.  I'm feeding it to a tank of adult mbuna.  It's not as bad since that first time giving them too much.   I think I'm going to give some to my plecos and see how they do.  I have all sizes and a bunch of shrimp in the tank.