Southern Delight fish food

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I want to try the veggi/krill out. I just wish the pellet size was bigger. I will probably request a sample when I place a bulk order of my own.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
So almost all tanks loved the initial trial of the food, the only food that was readily accepted was the large cichlid formula ( the red mixed pellets).  My umbee swallowed it down quick but then spit it out a few moments later.  This is strange as I would expect my umbee to eat everything and anything..... I'll try again in the morning as I think he did eat a few. The krill/veggie was a favorite in all of the tanks

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well tomorrow makes 10 days exclusive. I had a water change tonight and the ring around the tank is reduced to almost nothing so I am really happy with that. I never really had that issue until I started feeding a certain brand of food in my mix. I think I will add the SD to my mix of foods and then once done with all the other brands I may switch over for good. I still have some months of food to use up so no rush and there is another brand I am trying.

Another point is kind of weird maybe coincidental but I really think my Pearsei grew during this time.... but I will say that could also be due to the fact I removed two other 8" sized fish and this caused the fish to want to grow, who knows? Or maybe it was the mix of Powerfeed and Growth pellets in the past 10 days....

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I'm into day three, I noticed less fragments floating around during feeding. I'd also like to believe that the reason one of my fish is currently fading is the food, but I seriously doubt it(3 days ...., lol).

The only thing I can say that might be considers a negative to some is that certain pellets sink to the bottom faster than my fish can eat them. This could lead to a problem long term, as they don't always find all of the pellets. Background: my fish have never eaten any pellets besides the floating types.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
My pellets did not have time to sink and hit bottom. They got devoured very quickly.  :D  The red hooks are related to piranha after all, at least when it comes to eating pellets. Greedy little fish.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My fish typically attack their meals, the large cichlid isn't super popular with the fish. They gobble up all the other formulas.

Drd62

Just got my 1st order in yesterday of Southern delight. They readily gobbled up the large cichlid, power food as well as the veggie krill. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I got a little sample of that veggikrill to try out. sounds like they need to make this stuff in a bit bigger pellet size. I will report my findings as I try it out.

Drd62

Yes it would be nice if the veggie krill would come in two different sizes. Maybe Southern Delight will come out with that later..

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I tried it out on my 210g and everyone loved it. Looks ridiculous to see the big pearsei trying to get to it.

In my 72g the bicirs came out for it but a bit small for them also,

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have so much other food to use it will be awhile before I make the complete switch.  :( 

I did mix it in with my other stuff so that the fish continue to eat it. The SD really does seem like its started to get the pearsei into a growth spurt.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I got all of them. Growth formula is their favorite followed by krill/ veggie, small cichlid, large cichlid, and power feed (basing this on how quickly they eat them) also got the tropical pellets but haven't tried them yet

Drd62

I have them all as well but haven't used the tropical yet. For my big guys I'm just going to stick with the power feed as well as the large cichlid because of the pellet size.  :santa: 

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. My two big tanks only get lg cichlid and power feed the other tanks are using the other food

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Back to my old pellet mix with a tiny bit of SD in the mix. Guess what? I HATE the mix!!!!!  :wall: 

Using my other pellets I have already noticed the 'bath tub ring' starting again. I am feeding the same amount of food but getting more of a fine powder mess. I use measuring spoons and fill up pill box's with the days of the week on them and they get two feedings a day. So no increase in the amount of food they get each day, in fact probably they get less than when I did SD exclusive. When I was doing the Southern Delight only I was feeding a bit heavy handed because I was putting it to the test.

Looks like my Southern Delight order may be sooner than I thought.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Get it in bulk! That's what I did and got my self a few pounds!!!!

Drd62

Agreed. That's what I did as well. I still have some other brands of food if people are interested.  :rendeer:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Drd62 said:
Agreed. That's what I did as well. I still have some other brands of food if people are interested.   :rendeer:
After all the good reports on Southern Delight how can we get people to take the 'other' stuff off our hands...  :whistle

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I did it... I placed an order for some bulk Southern Delight.  :cheers: 

I was going to wait until I had used up stuff I had but I am just tired of the mess from these other brands. Also I feel bad that one of the big name products has like a 15% ash level and another has like 12%. This just tells me that the meals they use are not that great of quality. My fish deserve better. Also requested some samples for some of my friends with community tanks.

So now that some have been feeding this for a while now, do we have any updates? Any thoughts or observations?