Southern Delight fish food

Madness

Staff member
Well I know that I am a bit skewed on my opinion so I will just talk about results.

Waste is far less, the tank water itself is much cleaner, my filters dont get as dirty and as quickly as before, I dont see tons of food particles coming from my fishes gills upon feeding, or floating in the water, I have noticed much better color, and size growth.  My big Dovii had stopped at about 20" and since I started feeding him SD he is now 22" and much taller bodied.  I am also noticing that my more finicky or delicate fish are eating much better and look more healthy.

Check out this video that my friend Brian made comparing Southern Delight to another well known company.  

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/yXOAtIb1w8c" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Funny that it seemed my Pearsei had grown after feeding SD exclusive for the ten days. But I have mentioned it was probably coincidental. I had also removed two 8" cichlids out of the tank and the fish decided it no longer had to release a growth retarding hormone or something.

I had seen that video and was impressed with the gravel vac scene where a reduction in waste was clearly seen.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I got my SD order in!  :cheers: 

I ordered the bulk pellets and got Large Cichlid, Powerfeed, and Growth. I dont use up a ton of food so I was a little reluctant to order in bulk due to the 2lb limit originally set for it. When I contacted them I asked if they do smaller 1lb portions and sure enough they do, so very happy with that!

Now that I have some larger amounts to play with, Ive noticed that the fish like the Powerfeed the best, which is good since I am going for the big finish in trying to get Porkchop to her full adult size.

The only negative I have to comment on is the samples I requested for some friends with community tanks. The tropical pellets, small cichlid pellets and vegiKrill look perfect. The nanokrill and flake were toast. I know the nanokrill is pretty small so it was probably exactly as it should be but the flake came in pretty powdery (most likely shipping related) not really usable unless you are feeding fry.

I am very happy about the order overall except the flake sample being crushed up. Looking forward to using this product exclusively for the next couple of months to see what results I get. So dont be afraid to order this stuff in bulk, good value for you money to do it this way.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I had forgot to add this. I almost thought of ordering some Dainichi cichlid recently and was quoted a price that would have been really close to the cost of my Southern Delight order. Only difference was that it would have been for only 1lb of pellets instead of 3lbs & samples!

Chiisai

Well I ordered 1lb of small cichlid(1mm) and 1lb of Veggie Kirll(2.2mm) on Tuesday. Got both today. I would like to start my review by saying I was a bit dissappointed at the packaging as it came in heat sealed bag. Its not a big issue I just would have prefered a ziplock or something closable as now I have to run to the store and purchase mason jars to hold the food. Other then that I will update in a month or so on my findings.

Anthraxx

thought id chime in with a review, recieved a sample of this from the Co-Op and gave it a whirl for about a week. figured it was going well so i ignored it for a day or two, turns out the fish had completly avoided eatting it and 90% was stuck floating behind my spray bars. just my two cents but i wont be using it for my fish anymore. (african cichlids btw)

Madness

Staff member
Chiisai said:
Well I ordered 1lb of small cichlid(1mm) and 1lb of Veggie Kirll(2.2mm) on Tuesday. Got both today. I would like to start my review by saying I was a bit dissappointed at the packaging as it came in heat sealed bag. Its not a big issue I just would have prefered a ziplock or something closable as now I have to run to the store and purchase mason jars to hold the food. Other then that I will update in a month or so on my findings.
The bulk food comes that way so that they are able to 1)keep it fresh, regardless what zip lock says the contents dont stay fresh 2)keep the cost down

Anthraxx said:
thought id chime in with a review, recieved a sample of this from the Co-Op and gave it a whirl for about a week. figured it was going well so i ignored it for a day or two, turns out the fish had completly avoided eatting it and 90% was stuck floating behind my spray bars. just my two cents but i wont be using it for my fish anymore. (african cichlids btw)
Thats too bad, your fish are missing out. What sample did you feed them? Do you normally feed floating or sinking pellets?

Drd62

Madness said:
Well I know that I am a bit skewed on my opinion so I will just talk about results.

Waste is far less, the tank water itself is much cleaner, my filters dont get as dirty and as quickly as before, I dont see tons of food particles coming from my fishes gills upon feeding, or floating in the water, I have noticed much better color, and size growth.  My big Dovii had stopped at about 20" and since I started feeding him SD he is now 22" and much taller bodied.  I am also noticing that my more finicky or delicate fish are eating much better and look more healthy.

Check out this video that my friend Brian made comparing Southern Delight to another well known company.  

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/yXOAtIb1w8c" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]
Good informative video Brian demonstrated. I too am using the SD and have been for the past two months now and can definitely see the difference in the color on my fish as well as less waste. My filters pads are not clogged or discolored like they were on a certain brand of food I was using before.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just had to add a bit of an update. I went on vacation for 10 days and was dreading what I would come back to. In the past with the food mix I had been using I always came back to a filthy tank despite the fact the feeding were cut down to just a tiny bit each day. I did the same preparation of the tank like I did previously and had the food measured out in the day of the week pill containers and used the same person who fish-sat for me last time. I come home and..... clear, sparkling tank with no overgrown algae growth like I had expected. So this tells me for sure that the food is low in phosphates, which is good. I am not saying it is a perfect food because it does leave some surface scum but the fact I see a reduced amount of waste and the water stays cleaner is a huge deal to me.