Southern Delight fish food

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Getting the right sized pellet is important especially with smaller fish. Seems that the 1.5mm pellets are a bit too big and Southern Delight does not currently have a smaller one. I have Australian rainbows that I would like to try a good pellet on but many are too large. There are a few out there that make a nice small sized community pellet but I still have flake to use up in the meantime.

I used to raise an Oscar, which are notorious as messy eaters. I was using small sized pellets up until it was about 10". Looked kind of ridiculous to see it eating them but kept way down on the mess because it was forced to swallow the pellets whole and not grind them up. I then made the mistake of going up to a larger pellet and then it would not eat the small ones and started to make a huge mess of things.

Livebearer

Hey if fed in moderation, ( a little bit at a time) they seem to eat it up readily! I raise fish with mouths too small for anything to eat but micro pellets. My 3 cichlids, 2 keyholes and 1 tailless Red point love it and won't give it for anything! I have tried lots of food on these fish and this one works well. Its a keeper!!

Anthony J.

Madness said:
That is the answer I expected.  

With that said, this is a thread regarding the Southern delight food, and anything other than that will be dealt with.  

Have a great day RD.
Well, until nls was brought up, it was about SD, I too stand by what I said, the very large issues of having all 4, soy, wheat, yeast and corn are an excellent example of why I feel the way about this food. Also the addition of any terrestrial animal matter should be frowned upon by any keeper of aquatic eating animals. Also, the horrible labeling should be corrected, so they actually fit in an appropriate order on an ingredient by ingredient bases, as per the industry standard, to me this is big indicator of hiding something.

Just like I said before NLS was brought up, to me those three, not one or even two but three, solid reasons for saying, this is a product I would strongly recommend against. Simply stating "this is a high quality food" means nothing until information is made easily available regarding the ACTUAL order of the individual ingredients, and, the major errors of using corn and poultry along with the several "fillers or binding aggents" is corrected.

Madness

Staff member
I guess they could just say on the label, Veggie meal like most of the foods. But they choose to display their Veggie meal. If you ask the other food manufacturers what is in their veggie meal or their wheat meal, you will get answers like, "we cant give that information". Hmmm?

As for the Poultry, the food DOES NOT have poultry in it, it uses a part of the wing, a part that is rich in nutrients and is used also as a binding agent so that the food doesnt dissolve in the water, it stays whole. This is also beneficial when it comes to eating the food and digesting the food.

Your water is cleaner, your filtration is cleaner, and there is no smell like a lot of other brands.

You are welcome to your opinion on how you interpret the ingredients, and it is your choice if you want to try something new or not. If you would like to try it out I can get you some samples, then you can come back and give us your opinion. If you dont want to try it, that is your prerogative and your comments have been noted and passed on to the manufacturers.

Like with all new products, there are some growing pains. The thing that I like besides the ingredients, is that they listen to the consumer. So like I said, your concerns have been noted. Their food is always being improved upon, if you cant improve on what you have whether that be a product or knowledge than you will never grow.

All of the foods, Hikari, NLS, Omega1 all started off and had growing pains. This product is no different, and because of their willingness to give the consumer what they want, I have no doubt that Southern Delight will someday soon be in everyone's fish room.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So I have not used it enough to evaluate the 'waste' but I did find this from an actual user of the product: "OK, two weeks and 1/3 of a jar without a waterchange on the Trimacs and the tank doesn't have much build up. About a 1/4 of what I see using omega or nls. Proof its good stuff is in the poo, or lack of. Going to make this my staple food for fish with big appetites."

Found that here: http://greatlakesaquaria.com/index.php?/topic/3704-southern-delight-foods/

I have been using another product with probiotics in it that claim reduction in waste but not really seeing any difference. I was not feeding that item exclusively since they actually market it for 'carnivores' and I have mostly 'herbivores'. Maybe if I were doing it exclusively it would have made a difference. I still need to come to my own conclusions on Southern Delight but I am willing to share my thoughts as I try this out.

Anthony J.

It's not about the "meals" I dont know of many,  if any food that doesn't have some kind of "meal". Its the way the ingredients are clumped together in "products" that I am having an issue with. Here's an example,  xtreme first ingredients krill meal, fish meal, herring meal, shrimp meal etc. In doing it this way,  I know there is less shrimp meal then herring meal. The "poultry" is obviously incorrectly labeled.

With all of these....... things to the side, its cool to hear they listen to the consumer, reminds me of a company called finnex who, when putting out a specific light 'for plants' gathered together a group of well known,  knowledgeable people, and asked what they wanted in a plant light. Its a great idea, one that theoretically will produce a high quality product.

If me being a over skeptical,  and argumentative possible future consumer who currently supports what has been proven to be one of the best, if not the best food currently available,  produces a higher quality product. Then I don't mind being that guy, and, if I never switch foods, but my outcry for something better, produces a higher quality, or at minimum, properly labeled product, then I don't understand why anyone would. I care more about this hobby then peoples feelings, or a buisness, I care about the hobby. Furthermore, I would feel better purchasing or trading fish with another hobbyist that I know is feeding a high quality food.

And finally, if the food is ever proven to be better then what I feed, I wouldn't hesitate to switch. Cause for me, its all about the fish, not sales, or friends or some stupid reputation. If people hate me for speaking my mind, and my experience,  then so be it. Then so be it as I truly do not care. But, I will always demand better of anything that cannot meet or beat what I currently have (spoken like an audi owner) ;)

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Please leave reviews about the product. Saying you don't like the product but have not tried it is not a review. You must have used it to leave a review about a product.

The arguing in this thread is not productive.

That being said I better leave my own review.

I've used the nano krill in my store. Fish seemed to feed on it readily. I like the food. I however find the price point to be a bit high.

Anthony J.

Thats stupid Cory, I can look at tiger barbs, read about them, watch some YouTube videos etc etc. And, going by the gathered information, write a perfectly honest and informative review of the species. The same is true about a fish food, just because I currently dont use it, doesn't mean that I cannot see both the good and the bad. Although, I would like a few samples, not to feed my fish, just to see the consistency and density of the pellets. Then Cory, then because I physically had the pellets, could I participate in the review conversation?

Would have just been easier to MOD the title of the topic, Southern Delight Promo (be nice to the new guys), but then, we wouldn't have a very good review of the product, but, it would be well promoted. Thanks Cory, you really know how to bring some charm to the party. And to think, I was being nice, trying to at least.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthony that is just blatant disrespect for a another fishbox member let alone the one who even makes this site possible for us all. Not cool!

Anthony J.

Aquarium Co-Op said:
Please leave reviews about the product. Saying you don't like the product but have not tried it is not a review. You must have used it to leave a review about a product.
Sorry D, but this? Your comment is specified towards me? I stand behind my comment. I dont have to use it to know its garbage. I can look at the ingredient list. And I dont care if I'm being "rude" to the purchaser of this forum. Some random dude, that opened a shop, bought a forum, and changed so much about it. None of that means anything to me. I liked getting discounts at all the stores I frequent, I liked that my knowledge used to be appreciated, I liked that being the 13th member of the site, meant that I was one of the first few people taught to mod, and givin those privileges and responsibilities. Not just whoever kisses Corys backside the best.

But Cory purchasing the site means all of that was stripped away. That coupled with Mr. Knowitall Shaun, shawn, sean or however he spells his name, now trying to use the forum to market crappy food so he can get it for free. Sorry D, but seriously?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Anthony, really? No need to sink to these lows.... We all get it, you love NLS, as nls was apparently  a personal gift from god.  But seriously, to alienate yourself from the rest of the forum by basically saying no one else matters is a strange approach to prove your point.... Maybe just stick to your YouTube Channel  (which I personally enjoy) to create a fish forum democracy of one.....I'm hoping that you are just dealing with some stuff we don't know about and that you come back to the Anthony I remember when I first joined...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthony Im sorry you are not a mod anymore but times have changed and yes this site has changed also. I have always felt this was a family friendly site for all ages (met earthfish yet?) but your kind of taking it up a notch to a not so friendly environment. I value your opinions and knowledge just remember the others who frequent these forums.

Madness

Staff member
Anthony I dont know why you have issues and frankly now I dont care. I reached out to you several times in the past when you got upset and removed your membership, only to have you respond by being belligerent and out right nasty. Again I dont know where it went sideways with your attitude towards me, and now I really dont care, i did before but really dont now. But attacking other members just for the sake of flexing your cyber muscles is completely childish and just wrong. But I am kind of glad, because now everyone gets to see the true Anthony, the one I witnessed a few months ago.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Anthony J's account has been suspended. Unfortunately we let many statements slide in the hopes that it would end on a better note. Being a long time contributor to the forum and generally being a wealth of information we gave him extra room. These last few responses however have left our hands tied.

Please continue this thread with Southern Delight Food reviews.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
To help get this topic back on track ..... I have the power feed, large cichlid, small cichlid, and growth foods in bulk anticipated to be at my doorstep early next week. I will feed the exclusively and share my results from day 1 to 10......

plaamoo

I would suggest much tighter modification in the future. All posts not related to Southern Delight fish food(including this one) should be deleted. Anthony was way out of line!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
So Ive been using the product for about 5 days now and can comment a bit more on some things.

I will start with cleanliness of the product.
I have been feeding a mix of the Powerfeed (3.0mm), Growth (3.0mm) and Cichlid pellet (5.0mm). The Cichlid pellet is pretty large (5.0mm) and my fish do have a pretty small mouth so they grind it a little which causes some floating debris. So I know if I stuck with this size I would have some mess, but this I can deal with because it leaves far less mess than the former pellet I was feeding. Seems like I have less of the ring around the tank as I did with my other products. I do notice however a oil slick effect when I feed but I have not had any food that did not seem to leave a residue when it hit the surface of the water so no real difference there.

The bottom of the can also does not seem to have a lot of powder residue. This just makes for a cleaner product with less mess. If it does not rub off in the container it most likely will not leave as much mess in your tank.

Waste production seems to be reduced also. Because it is a new food and been trying to see results... I have been a bit heavy handed in my feeding. This has been a good test to see what waste production would be like. Seems like they are not making as much of a mess as what I was previously feeding. Not noticed a runny type waste but not a solid either, if that makes any sense. Kind of reminds me when we humans eat fiber in the diet, things just go smoother.

I would like to comment on an increase in color but really I have fish that are not ever going to be 'colorful'. My silver dollars are pretty plain but I do have one that has red spotting that my wife commented on the other day as having more bright red. I can not contribute this to the food at this point due to the fact I just added new LED lighting and went from plain lighting to a full spectrum. My Pearsei is an iridescent green and has shown no loss in color with the new food.

So I still have another 5 days of exclusive feeding to go with this but so far results are good. I still have other brands to finish up so most likely will mix the Southern Delight in with them but may consider a full switch when I run out of the other stuff.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Just got my bulk order of food, I was pleasantly surprised that they hooked me up wth extras since my shipment got delayed. Here is was I got in the pound sized amounts

I ordered:
Small cichlid 1mm
Large cichlid 5mm
Power feed. 3mm
Growth formula 3mm
They hooked me up with:
1lb tropical pellet 1mm
1lb veggie /krill 2ish mm
Sandwich sized bag of unity flakes

So far, I tried the growth food in my 125(fish range from 3"-12") fish attacked it like they have had it before..... Impressive splashes at the top of the tank. So for taking this specific formula, my fish didn't hesitate. I will be trying the other types in different tanks. Let you know later tonight how he fish liked he others