Love at First Sight - Spotted Congo Puffer

Cole

You know, I was worried that my little Sean Puffy Combs wasn't eating his snails. But since I now have a Red Ramshorn Snail farm, I pop the little easy to eat (think "Popcorn Snails for Puffy") in there and I've yet to see one grow up to get too big to eat. He must be eating them. This morning, I sat motionless and watched him do drive-bys on two snails that I plopped in there, even picking them up and spitting them right back out again a couple of times each snail. Then, he'd go cruising around the tank (I also put in more Popcorn Snails snails at the other end) but he'd end up back there, focused on that area where those two snails were sitting. He actually sucked one off a leaf and I thought, "YAY! I've finally seen him eat a snail!" but a second later PATTOOOOYYY - and out it came.

I tell ya, puffers are the cutest fish in the universe.

That is hilarious! My wife will hold a snail between her 2 fingers at the front of "Captain Crunch's" tank and he will go nuts, once he sees it. He basically throws himself at the glass until she drops it into the tank. The snails usually never make it to the sand, before they are gobbled up. He gets pretty excited about frozen krill, too. Clams? Not yet...lol.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking of putting in a couple of small ramshorns for my dwarf puffers. I guess if theyre too big they just wont eat them?

Cole

I was thinking of putting in a couple of small ramshorns for my dwarf puffers. I guess if theyre too big they just wont eat them?

I'd give it a shot. Even if they don't eat them right away, they may decide to snack on then later. Not sure how long they can live in brackish water though...lol.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
I'd give it a shot. Even if they don't eat them right away, they may decide to snack on then later. Not sure how long they can live in brackish water though...lol.

Theyre full freshwater thankfully and I now realise this (snail survival) is another advantage to FW puffers, sweet!

FishBeast

That is hilarious! My wife will hold a snail between her 2 fingers at the front of "Captain Crunch's" tank and he will go nuts, once he sees it. He basically throws himself at the glass until she drops it into the tank. The snails usually never make it to the sand, before they are gobbled up. He gets pretty excited about frozen krill, too. Clams? Not yet...lol.
HAHAHA that is so funny! How big is the Captain now?

FishBeast

Theyre full freshwater thankfully and I now realise this (snail survival) is another advantage to FW puffers, sweet!
Hey @Joel ! Agree with @Cole ... leave them in there. The pea puffers can take down some surprisingly bigger snails... They are so smart that they attack from multiple angles and are usually able to punch a hole at a strategic weak point and get at the animal inside!

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
I went looking for Ramshorns and threw a light on my endler tank (rarely happens) to find there has been an explosion and at exactly the right size - tiny. So i've thrown a bunch into the tank, will see what happens. Guess I should look out for broken shells etc ? Then again, I've thrown in quite a lot of Brine Shrimp in the last couple of days (they lookin chubby!)

Loren

[GALLERY=media, 176]20170130_121105 by Joel posted Jan 30, 2017 at 12:26 PM[/GALLERY]

Well that didn't take long did it... just bought 2 pea puffers :D currently in QT
Please let me know what size tank they are going in and how they do together? I have one currently in a 5 gallon tank. I have heard that they don't always play nice together so it is best to keep them alone in small tanks but I would like to hear your perspective.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say

Oh I think we need to see a video of this too, by the way. There's never enough PUFFER LOVE to be had on this forum!

Also: ROFLMAO@ "Captain Crunch". That's friggin FUNNEEEE.

VickiK

Member with a lot to say
I went looking for Ramshorns and threw a light on my endler tank (rarely happens) to find there has been an explosion and at exactly the right size - tiny. So i've thrown a bunch into the tank, will see what happens. Guess I should look out for broken shells etc ? Then again, I've thrown in quite a lot of Brine Shrimp in the last couple of days (they lookin chubby!)

My substrate in the tank where the Amazon Puffer lives is the color of snail shells so I can't determine if he's eating them based on crushed shells or puffer crap with snail shells in them. It all blends in. When I am gravel vacc-ing, I always look for shell pieces - I haven't seen any yet.

Can they suck the snail out of the shell and leave the shell in tact, I wonder? I've seen a few empty shells when cleaning....

FishBeast

Those puffers are little battering rams! Also, nothing beats looking at round little puffer bellies!

FishBeast

My substrate in the tank where the Amazon Puffer lives is the color of snail shells so I can't determine if he's eating them based on crushed shells or puffer crap with snail shells in them. It all blends in. When I am gravel vacc-ing, I always look for shell pieces - I haven't seen any yet.

Can they suck the snail out of the shell and leave the shell in tact, I wonder? I've seen a few empty shells when cleaning....
Yes they can! If a snail is unfortunate enough to be exposed even partially, the puffers will grab on to gastropod flesh and suck 'em right out like a jello shot!

FishBeast

Please let me know what size tank they are going in and how they do together? I have one currently in a 5 gallon tank. I have heard that they don't always play nice together so it is best to keep them alone in small tanks but I would like to hear your perspective.
They say about 5 gallons per puffer to minimize aggression... They get along well as juveniles and even school in community tanks. I think I have a video of it on my media page. :)