Love at First Sight - Spotted Congo Puffer

FishBeast

Hello! I was smitten by this beauty at the Aquarium Co-Op. She is a Spotted Congo Puffer and is supposedly one of the most mellow puffers and can be kept peacefully with the right kind of community fish.

Not sure how to sex puffers so we named her ChiChi Rodriguez in honor of John Leguizamo's character in "To Wong Foo..."

IMG_0397.JPG

Happy and healthy from the Co-Op!
IMG_0467.JPG

Eating a bloodworm.
IMG_0419.JPG

I'm also giving her some snails and maybe some small clams to munch on to keep the teeth trimmed.
IMG_0445.JPG

I'll be setting up a permanent home for her hopefully with some heavily screened tankmates!

FishBeast

Grabbed one for myself a month or two ago! Very docile so far.
Cool! All of the puffer fun without the hassles of aggression! Good to know that small shoalers like danios are ok. Cory also mentioned those guys and tetras. I'll be trying kuhli loaches to start with...

lymitliss

I try to throw agile fish in with puffers to see how they do. If I'm missing any after a month, then I know not to buy anything more expensive. My other 3 puffers will eat their tank mates, given the opportunity. This guy doesn't even seem to go after the fish that are right in his face. I've even seen a few basically swim into his mouth. We'll see how his temperament changes as he grows.

Cole

My little Amazon puffer, Sean Puff Daddy Combs, gets the same fat tummy after eating too. It's so funny to see. Then you see that giant belly and those big, soulful eyes cruising around looking for MORE.

I have noticed that with our Fahaka. Once he gets the first snail down, he's looking for more right away. I can't believe it took us 16 years in the hobby before we got our first puffer. So glad we did though. Really a great fish/pet to own.

FishBeast

I have noticed that with our Fahaka. Once he gets the first snail down, he's looking for more right away. I can't believe it took us 16 years in the hobby before we got our first puffer. So glad we did though. Really a great fish/pet to own.
Same here. I didn't even know there were freshwater puffers until this go around with the hobby.