Love at First Sight - Spotted Congo Puffer

Cole

I consider it a serious committment but I get closer every day to making the decision.

Almost bought a figure 8 a few months back but cbf with brackish.. or can I....

Do it! Everybody's doing it. I'd stick with a freshwater puffer though. I think the spotted congo puffer would be my first choice, if they were more readily available and cheaper...although we've paid $200 for a fish many times before.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Do it! Everybody's doing it. I'd stick with a freshwater puffer though. I think the spotted congo puffer would be my first choice, if they were more readily available and cheaper...although we've paid $200 for a fish many times before.

Yeh... i actually think i might do this lol. Not even joking.

I want to setup a tank that most people will think im crazy but the right people brilliant, for example a brackish tank incl puffer + guppies or a salt tank with live reef + guppies.

Cole

I want to setup a tank that most people will think im crazy but the right people brilliant, for example a brackish tank incl puffer + guppies or a salt tank with live reef + guppies.

Sounds intriguing.

I just can't wait to get our double 40 gallon breeders set up and in place. Need to create another electrical circuit this weekend before that can happen. Then it's time to fire up the snail tank and self cloning crayfish tank. Our Fahaka puffer wasn't a big fan of his first clam...lol.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Haha yeah I know a LOT of people who have tripped their power because of their tanks. Seems to affect those who fish out the garage a lot as they usually have a single circuit.

Im going thru a bit of a "rationalisation" stage with my tanks and ultimately aim to cut down ... will see what I can do to fit in a puffer .. and all the snails etc needed to keep it alive.

Cole

Haha yeah I know a LOT of people who have tripped their power because of their tanks. Seems to affect those who fish out the garage a lot as they usually have a single circuit.

Im going thru a bit of a "rationalisation" stage with my tanks and ultimately aim to cut down ... will see what I can do to fit in a puffer .. and all the snails etc needed to keep it alive.

Yep. Our fishroom is in our basement, but we've already added 2 circuits down there. Now, one more should make it work without a hitch, even if all the heaters fired up at the same time. Thought we had enough circuits down there already, but popped one the other day when both 1000 watt heaters kicked on at the same time on our FRT tank. Once we get this circuit installed, it'll be just a matter of setting up the other 40 gallon breeder and the new 75 gallon tank. Alas, that will be the last tank in our home. 12 tanks at 1804 gallons is enough for me to maintain.

Loren

I hope that you are more successful than I was. I took down 3 tanks over the holidays (1 10 & 2 20's) and replaced with 1 55. I have since re-setup the 10 and bought 2 14 gallon biocubes. QQ

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
I hope that you are more successful than I was. I took down 3 tanks over the holidays (1 10 & 2 20's) and replaced with 1 55. I have since re-setup the 10 and bought 2 14 gallon biocubes. QQ
haha i know it's like a weird trap of the hobby... attempting to downsize just results in upsizing !

Loren

The part that I don't understand is all of the experts that recommend having a "quarantine" tank. That would be the worst thing that I could do. It would just turn out to be used for something else and then I would have to set up another tank for "quarantine" and on and on and on.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
The part that I don't understand is all of the experts that recommend having a "quarantine" tank. That would be the worst thing that I could do. It would just turn out to be used for something else and then I would have to set up another tank for "quarantine" and on and on and on.

haha - THIS IS ME. Yep, the Quarantine tank is empty, BETTER PUT SOMETHING IN IT!!

L190

that happened to me, I had two 40 breeders for a quarantine tank, not they are full of endlers and snails.

Joel

Administrator
Staff member
Ok I went to one of my LFS"s (probably the more likely one for a puffer) and chatted about Puffers.

In terms of Colomesus Asellus they said they do get them in occassionally but they often either die in quarantine (with border control) or they come in bad condition. They get figure 8's more often and generally in better condition. So now i'm thinking more along the lines of a f8. Still need to go see the other LFS though...

Cole

Ok I went to one of my LFS"s (probably the more likely one for a puffer) and chatted about Puffers.

In terms of Colomesus Asellus they said they do get them in occassionally but they often either die in quarantine (with border control) or they come in bad condition. They get figure 8's more often and generally in better condition. So now i'm thinking more along the lines of a f8. Still need to go see the other LFS though...

Sounds like a brackish tank is in your future. Maybe your other LFS will have other options.

FishBeast

Any puffer would be a blast - salt, brackish, fresh! :)

FishBeast

Sounds intriguing.

I just can't wait to get our double 40 gallon breeders set up and in place. Need to create another electrical circuit this weekend before that can happen. Then it's time to fire up the snail tank and self cloning crayfish tank. Our Fahaka puffer wasn't a big fan of his first clam...lol.
Hey Cole, the circuit thing, is that something you do yourself or do you need an electrician to do it? I'm having breaker tripping issues due to "Garage Tank-itis" hahaha