What did you do with your tank(s) today?

BPSabelhaus

1000010614.jpg

Having coffee with Alex this morning. Decided to sleep on her branch last night lol

Our garage is split, back half is partial finished laundry. No heat, cement floor covered in an indoor / outdoor carpet. I kept a tub in there once overwinter with a heater. It did well until about Jan when we got a good cold snap. I have thought on and off about using it for fish and plants if I can keep the room around 60.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Wife complained of smell from garage tanks… what the heck? I just cleaned and water changed on Saturday, so really? Well super simple answer, Massivore that was uneaten by the red wolf had stunk up the water. So quick water change with gravel vac of the food and all is well again. Happy wife.
I got banned from using it at my house. Haha

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I got banned from using it at my house. Haha
My red wolf is the only fish I feed the Massivore to. With his bad eyes he sometimes misses a pellet and it turns the water so fast. Im tempted to switch him over to raw foods that I feed the puffer.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Took day off work for my sanity. Did my water changes earlier this week and got all my garage tanks done today. Stopped by Aquarium Paradise to look around a little and saw a nice piebald red devil that tempted me but I was able to resist.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Finished off water changes this morning with the 300 getting done. No extra work of gravel vac or anything, just drain and fill. But its still looking pretty clean from the last couple of times spending extra time on it.

Still not happy with some stock in the garage tanks. I still want a nice schooling fish for my 90g tank with my red spot sev grow outs. Still leaning toward rainbows, but trying to find them is tougher than you think. They are always the same old, same old with the more unique ones only available online or sometime Petco in Lakewood will get some. Also my 46g bowfront needs something changed. It is barely stocked. I feel like moving the golden Wonder Killies out and put them with the Sevs and then just have to move out a betta and a small pleco. This would be a blank slate... move my hairy puffer to it? then I have my Fluvel flex to have to stock, lol. Maybe I need to stop at some more stores today to get ideas?

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My red wolf is the only fish I feed the Massivore to. With his bad eyes he sometimes misses a pellet and it turns the water so fast. Im tempted to switch him over to raw foods that I feed the puffer.
When I had my wolf, he ate frozen krill and the frozen cubes of the discus food ( someone recommended it to me).

I also saw him eat a few pellets of the southern delight mix I fed my other fish in with him, but he’d only eat the sinking ones.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Finished off water changes this morning with the 300 getting done. No extra work of gravel vac or anything, just drain and fill. But its still looking pretty clean from the last couple of times spending extra time on it.

Still not happy with some stock in the garage tanks. I still want a nice schooling fish for my 90g tank with my red spot sev grow outs. Still leaning toward rainbows, but trying to find them is tougher than you think. They are always the same old, same old with the more unique ones only available online or sometime Petco in Lakewood will get some. Also my 46g bowfront needs something changed. It is barely stocked. I feel like moving the golden Wonder Killies out and put them with the Sevs and then just have to move out a betta and a small pleco. This would be a blank slate... move my hairy puffer to it? then I have my Fluvel flex to have to stock, lol. Maybe I need to stop at some more stores today to get ideas?
Have you been to the glass box in downtown port orchard? Small shop but they offer some great quality fish.

Or head north to moonlight aquatics. They stock a bunch of more rare fish and can also order fish for you.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Have you been to the glass box in downtown port orchard? Small shop but they offer some great quality fish.

Or head north to moonlight aquatics. They stock a bunch of more rare fish and can also order fish for you.
I like Glass Box but it’s basically Wet Spot stock. I can just put an order in myself if I go that route.

Haven’t tried moonlight aquatics yet.

I was at Petsmart and they had a solo Madagascar Rainbow with no tag on tank so
I got it for $1.99. Its in the 46g bowfront for now. I might look around at some other stores to see if I can find more. These might be fun for that tank.

At Petco and Petsmart they both had Turquoise and Boesemani rainbows but not very colorful. I know Ive seen Iranian rainbows at the Lakewood Petco before, might wait to see if they get those back in.

BPSabelhaus

Watching the baby Bettas eat while I sip on an impulse purchase (Ube milkshake from Pick Quick) and pretending I'm not lactose intolerant for the moment lol

And remembering there is still one cory loose in the 20 gallon I plan to move those fry into at some point. Sneaky and fast one. I set a trap and caught snails.

1000010666.jpg

BPSabelhaus

Were you trying to catch snails or a catfish? I usually cut the top off and turn it around and shove it in there when I want to catch something, the shape confuses them and they stay in there longer.
Catfish.

It avoided the trap entirely lol Just stayed far away even though that's the only food I have given. Probably doesn't help that the substrate is full of yummy worms lol

Edit: The ol' leave a net with food in front trick worked. It's out. Been moving daphnia in, hopefully it's nice and reproducing in a couple weeks for the Bettas.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped by the PetSmart in Lacey because they usually have a better stock and was pretty disappointed. No rainbow fish and really normal stock. This one is usually one of the better PetSmart stores in the area but nothing really different. Since I was already down south, stopped at Petworks in Olympia. They had quite a few rainbows, but just wasn't interested in their stock. I can't make up my mind...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped by the PetSmart in Lacey because they usually have a better stock and was pretty disappointed. No rainbow fish and really normal stock. This one is usually one of the better PetSmart stores in the area but nothing really different. Since I was already down south, stopped at Petworks in Olympia. They had quite a few rainbows, but just wasn't interested in their stock. I can't make up my mind...
In all of your recent stops, have you seen any Steatocranus casuarius (aka buffalo head cichlids)?

I haven’t kept them since highschool and I haven’t seen them forsale in many years, but I’d love to get some and breed them in my classroom tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
In all of your recent stops, have you seen any Steatocranus casuarius (aka buffalo head cichlids)?

I haven’t kept them since highschool and I haven’t seen them forsale in many years, but I’d love to get some and breed them in my classroom tank.
Nope, did not see any recently. They are really cool and I usually notice them in the stores. Been a long time ago the PetWorks in Olympia had them but not currently.

sir_keith

Legendary Member

You can usually find these online; LiveAquaria has them in stock at the moment.

BPSabelhaus

PXL_20240219_233432638.jpg

Getting color. I have most in the 20 now and it's all I have been watching all day. Walking past the tank is 15 minutes of watching them lol

Edit: Ok, so I lied about the getting the last cory out.

PXL_20240220_023235135.jpg

Does that count as one or 1/100th?

Last edited:

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I collected about 5gal of rain water from a downspout on the back of the house. I have the C brevirostris in a 55g that is less than half full with hopes of triggering a spawn. The rain water tested ~6ph, 1-3 degrees Kh and stopped counting around 20 degrees Gh. Zero nitrates.IMG_20240222_163231645~2.jpg