What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
As Im doing water changes I get to see how the red spot sevs are looking and fins are healing up from the nipping of the leporinus. These in turn seem to be working out better for the Sajica cichlids because they are large and bold and encourage the cichlids to come out more, so far so good…

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Today I had my amateur swing bands trombone section over for a sectional and quartet listening session, played my fish some music. We also watched them quite a bit. Otherwise, not a lot directly involving my tanks.

Indirectly, I ran across an article someone linked to in a thread on water parameters and read it quite intently. We (most of the active Members that talk and share fish, plants and advice in this section of this forum) have all seen or had experience with the magic huge Anubias that @sir_keith grows into trees and inspired my huge example, as well as the crypt Wendtii that I discovered grew into elephant ears in my Tanganyikan tank and pondered it a fair bit. I always knew the pH in those tanks changed the uptake of nutrients but really just ran trial and error with whatever I had too much of and stabbed it in there. This article has a cool take on it, and lists a few plants I haven't had too many of. They list "Ceratophyllum demersum, Cryptocoryne becketti, Echinodorus bleheri, Egeria densa, Elodea canadensis, and Vallisneria" all as doing quite well in this situation. Have any of you tried these?

Here's the link, it's a nice 5 minute read to ponder over: http://wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwhardness.htm
1707611699091.jpg
From Christel Kasselmann's "Aquarium Plants" 2003 edition pg 182.
Both C wendtii and C beckettii are from Sri Lanka and can be found together. Pg190, 224 and 225 from same.
Which if coloration were to be the only consideration I may have C beckettii in my collection. It is described as having two color leaves where C wendttii is not. o_O:D
1707612017654.jpg1707612128926.jpg1707612162946.jpg

John58Ford

View attachment 13500
From Christel Kasselmann's "Aquarium Plants" 2003 edition pg 182.
Both C wendtii and C beckettii are from Sri Lanka and can be found together. Pg190, 224 and 225 from same.
Which if coloration were to be the only consideration I may have C beckettii in my collection. It is described as having two color leaves where C wendttii is not. o_O:D
View attachment 13501View attachment 13502View attachment 13503
I'm adding that book to my father's day wishlist. I'm no plant guru yet, this would be the way for me to get better, cheaper, lol. Thanks for sharing the excerpts!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Been sick with a cold so Ive had a bit of cabin fever. Been doing extra tank cleanings in the garage with extra scrubbing of tank decor and Aquaclear filter cleanings. Also decided to cut down on lighting to decrease the algae growth.

I am needing to open up the wallet and get some fish soon. Still need a school of something for the 90g with my sevs and now my 46g bowfront looks so empty that I need to figure out what to add. Do I keep it a small community friendly tank or maybe do a solo fish like a puffer? Maybe I should rehome a bunch of stuff so I can redo stock in multiple tanks…

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I'm adding that book to my father's day wishlist. I'm no plant guru yet, this would be the way for me to get better, cheaper, lol. Thanks for sharing the excerpts!
It is a spendy book but worth it. I have to keep a dictionary or Google nearby for all the technical horticulture terms but that is also why I purchased it. I was tired of the hobby level stuff.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Been sick with a cold so Ive had a bit of cabin fever. Been doing extra tank cleanings in the garage with extra scrubbing of tank decor and Aquaclear filter cleanings. Also decided to cut down on lighting to decrease the algae growth.

I am needing to open up the wallet and get some fish soon. Still need a school of something for the 90g with my sevs and now my 46g bowfront looks so empty that I need to figure out what to add. Do I keep it a small community friendly tank or maybe do a solo fish like a puffer? Maybe I should rehome a bunch of stuff so I can redo stock in multiple tanks…
I will tell you that I have really enjoyed my discus tank ( bedroom 75g)

Stocked with 4x discus
5x Cory cats
15x neon tetras
2x random guppies left over from a previous tank.

It’s planted ( plants are only doing ok as the temps are higher then they like).

I’ve been surprised that they do have personality but they do not interact with me or like any other SA /CA cichlids I have in my other tanks.

With your water change regiment, I think they’d thrive in one of your 90g tanks.

You should check out the stock at the Petco in Lakewood. Ask them to turn on the real lights and look for one with a cool pattern.

They are expensive but could also be cool to have a lone one in your 40 with a large school of tetras ( if I did it again, I’d do rummy nose or cardinal).

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, never thought of doing discus…they always scared me off with the high temps and high cost of fish I felt like I might kill. The are beautiful for sure and would add some nice color. The problem is I would have to do a big rehome to fit them in. The sevs are in the one 90 and the other has the silver dollar growouts for the 300. Ugh, too many tanks… or maybe not enough, lol

BPSabelhaus

@lloyd378, never thought of doing discus…they always scared me off with the high temps and high cost of fish I felt like I might kill. The are beautiful for sure and would add some nice color. The problem is I would have to do a big rehome to fit them in. The sevs are in the one 90 and the other has the silver dollar growouts for the 300. Ugh, too many tanks… or maybe not enough, lol
I live vicariously through others discus for the same reasons. Wife loves them too, so a big tank would be an easy sell to her in that case lol I already flatly told her no last time she saw them at Sierra :)

BPSabelhaus

Too many. Clearly you only need to flood the basement ;)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
My four discus have been no more maintainance than my standard tanks…..

It is weird to see the pecking order change between the 3 lower tiers after each water change. They do some chasing and biting but no damage. And once they figure out the pecking order, it’s just about time to do another water change.

I do have one dominant one that stays on one side of the tank and the others stay on the other. If I’m successful with them for the next year, I plan to turn my 220 gallon into a discus tank with adding ahout 6 more discus.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Wife complained of smell from garage tanks… what the heck? I just cleaned and water changed on Saturday, so really? Well super simple answer, Massivore that was uneaten by the red wolf had stunk up the water. So quick water change with gravel vac of the food and all is well again. Happy wife.

BPSabelhaus

Garage tanks eh? Heating the tanks or garage?

I have thought about it before.

Anyway, just building up the microfauna culture in the 20 while it just has some Betta fry in it. Eventually all the dry will be moved over to grow out, then it will probably be a sorority tank for a bit. So far breeding the Bettas has been a fun learning experience. I gave up trying to breed the longfin cories and put them back in the 20 long.

Only to find them spawning in their old home the next day lol So I have two eggs that I'm aware of that I put in the Betta tub. I know of two more but didn't see her lay them.

The Bettas OTOH I had to stop mating lol

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Garage tanks eh? Heating the tanks or garage?

I have thought about it before.
We tapped into the ductwork and added two vents to the garage so it has some warmth in the winter and cool in the summer with the heat pump. This was also for the fact our washer and dryer are in the garage and we didn’t want it freezing cold or blistering hot when we had to go into the garage for that. Since there is not a separate zone and its based off the house thermostat, there are some degrees of difference but overall not bad. That said the tanks themselves all have heaters for the winter temps.