What did you do with your fish tanks today? Pics appreciated!

Regarding those Poly lids. I have been slowly switching my lids over to them as needed. I tried hinges on my first couple and found that I didn't like them - I prefer being able to just remove the front section during tank maintenance. I have also found that rather than knobs, just drilling a 1" or so hole near the front of the panel works better for me. It is just as easy to grab onto as one with a knob, but the real benefit to me is, I use it as a feeding hole.

hose91

Regarding those Poly lids. I have been slowly switching my lids over to them as needed. I tried hinges on my first couple and found that I didn't like them - I prefer being able to just remove the front section during tank maintenance. I have also found that rather than knobs, just drilling a 1" or so hole near the front of the panel works better for me. It is just as easy to grab onto as one with a knob, but the real benefit to me is, I use it as a feeding hole.
Great info and idea. Mine are still a single sheet with no handle. Perhaps this weekend I'll split one or two and drill a hole in the front panel. I've been feeding from the back, which has been OK, but I'd like a feeding hole up front.

Loren

I decided it was finally time to make some better covers. I half-heartedly put plexiglass on top of my tanks, but over time they bow, and don't make a nice seal around the tanks. It's amazing how small a hole or gap the fish can rocket right through.

After looking at tips online I decided polycarbonate roofing panels were they way to go for now-- a relatively cheap material that's easy to work with. I still haven't broken the heat gun out to soften up the edges, or added the closure strips that seal up the holes at the ends, but they are already holding in much more humidity that I would have thought (the top shot is form overnight, the two 10's below I just finished).

View attachment 1860
View attachment 1861

Even though the fish could jump through holes less than half the size of the end of the corrigation, at least for the time being they can't go from tank to tank. (Which was the original problem I wanted the lids for...too many of my little friends keep trying to relocate. If they hit the carpet I lose a fish, which I hate, but if they jump into a tank of fry, I lose a lot of fish...which is more aggrivating.)

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can get the closure strips up for added safety. I've also thought about pinning some of my emersed flowering plants into the spaces and letting them trail down the fronts of the tanks. So far I've finished 2 20's, 4 10's, and have 2 more 10's to go with this sheet.

I also added another diy mattenfilter, on a 30 gallon. They're ugly, but so far they're working great, and have been really helpful to push floating plants to the end of the tank, which makes them easy to collect/remove, as well as keeping them from blocking out the plants below...

I picked up a sheet of this from Lowes and now have it on a 10 and 20 gallon tank. I love how easy it is to work with (just scissors). And then once the general shape is cut you can easily cut spaces in the back for tubes and wires. My $20 investment for a 4' x 8' sheet will make a lot of covers down the road.

Loren

Not quite today but last Friday I set up my $20 Craigslist 46G Bow Front Aquarium. I had to do a lot of inside scrubbing and also painted the stand, hood and back of the glass. I'm loving the FilStar that came with it. Mike16T was kind enough to give me 3 plants so it doesn't look too empty.
Fish%202.jpg

Mike16T

Not quite today but last Friday I set up my $20 Craigslist 46G Bow Front Aquarium. I had to do a lot of inside scrubbing and also painted the stand, hood and back of the glass. I'm loving the FilStar that came with it. Mike16T was kind enough to give me 3 plants so it doesn't look too empty.
Fish%202.jpg

Looking good sir.. ^_^ I see that the Rotala macandra Pink mini's are in the front.... They will look really nice when they grow and spread/bloom... =)

Mike16T

Done and dusted but had to order 500ml in order to get it shipped Amazon Prime.
Cool.. ^_^ 500ml is gonna last you a long time.. Haha.. I suggest you buy some dull tip syringe so you can accurately measure the dosing.. It's really cheap too.. I got mine 6 for $3 from amazon. I still have a lot. I can give you one tomorrow if you want. =)

Loren

I luckily saved some that I got sometime back from the Vet for our dog. I use them all of the time to slowly add tank water to the water of new fish or shrimp.

Cory Johnson

My 30g tank was being over run with grass and the rhino was getting very temperamental... So I finally got a canister filter and rearranged the whole tank to give a little more space for the big guy. The water is still clearing up, but its starting to look much more acceptable!

aquarium.JPG Vallisneria Rubra.JPG

Loren

Lucky you. I had to switch out tanks because of a leak. I saved most of the water but decided to clean the gravel. I now have a bacteria explosion that has gone from cloudy to green.

Mike16T

Lucky you. I had to switch out tanks because of a leak. I saved most of the water but decided to clean the gravel. I now have a bacteria explosion that has gone from cloudy to green.

was it the new tank that you just set up?

Loren

The 10 gallon RCS tank was leaking so I set up a new 20 gallon long. Most of the water came from other existing tanks. From what I have read the cloudy conditions are normal and will just suddenly magically disappear.