What did you do with your fish tanks today? Pics appreciated!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Saw Nessie the bichir looking at me so I snapped a pic. So ugly that she is cute!

Betty

Staff member
I think Nessie is very cute!

I ended up taking out just about every rock in my tropheus tank, trying to catch one fish! It's not easy when they all look alike. I caught two others before I got the right one. (My red net didn't make any difference.)

c4db4835.jpg

Then I couldn't get the rocks back the way I wanted them, so will be rearranging them again.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hey D, do you know for sure that she is a she?

Yeah, I turned her over and looked, lol

Her anal fin gives her away as female. My Teug is also female, and the del, palmas palmas and gold dust are all males.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I think Nessie is very cute!

I ended up taking out just about every rock in my tropheus tank, trying to catch one fish! It's not easy when they all look alike. I caught two others before I got the right one. (My red net didn't make any difference.)

c4db4835.jpg

Then I couldn't get the rocks back the way I wanted them, so will be rearranging them again.

I'm shocked you can keep that tank that clean. With only the one anubias up front, it seems like that light would cause a lot of algae. Which the trophs would love to eat, but the rocks look clean lol.

Betty

Staff member
That's an older picture; it's the only tank shot I could find, but the rocks stay pretty clean with a bristlenose in there. That anubias has gotten bigger and even bloomed earlier this year!

clifford

I decided it was finally time to make some better covers. I half-heartedly put plexiglass on top of my tanks, but over time they bow, and don't make a nice seal around the tanks. It's amazing how small a hole or gap the fish can rocket right through.

After looking at tips online I decided polycarbonate roofing panels were they way to go for now-- a relatively cheap material that's easy to work with. I still haven't broken the heat gun out to soften up the edges, or added the closure strips that seal up the holes at the ends, but they are already holding in much more humidity that I would have thought (the top shot is form overnight, the two 10's below I just finished).

lids1.jpg
lids2.jpg

Even though the fish could jump through holes less than half the size of the end of the corrigation, at least for the time being they can't go from tank to tank. (Which was the original problem I wanted the lids for...too many of my little friends keep trying to relocate. If they hit the carpet I lose a fish, which I hate, but if they jump into a tank of fry, I lose a lot of fish...which is more aggrivating.)

Hopefully by the end of the weekend I can get the closure strips up for added safety. I've also thought about pinning some of my emersed flowering plants into the spaces and letting them trail down the fronts of the tanks. So far I've finished 2 20's, 4 10's, and have 2 more 10's to go with this sheet.

I also added another diy mattenfilter, on a 30 gallon. They're ugly, but so far they're working great, and have been really helpful to push floating plants to the end of the tank, which makes them easy to collect/remove, as well as keeping them from blocking out the plants below...

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
I cleaned up the outside glass, no pics but it made looking at them more enjoyable

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
@clifford Interesting, that material could let the water lettuce thrive more, since it has elevated portions compared to a normal glass top.

aaronfeeney

I stripped down my 240 for a thurough vacuuming, thinned out the livestock, and rearranged everything upon reassembly[GALLERY=media, 11]240 101015 by aaronfeeney posted Oct 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM[/GALLERY]

Oh, while I had the lids leaning on the railing of my deck, the wind blew hard and dropped one, shattered both pieces of glass. 2 pieces 38x10 $44.00. Also ended up doing 75% water change.

krislhull

Spent a few hours over the weekend bringing our 30gal tank out of storage and getting it cleaned up after not using it for four years. I painted the back of it with Plasti Dip (not too impressed) and got it set up in the house to use as a quarantine tank for the larger 200 gal we are in the process of planning for. After adding a couple of koi angels to our 60 gal, we noticed that our adult angel was picking on them, so into the QT he went... Today I started cleaning up and painting a 46 bow front that I picked up for my wife off of craigslist.

[GALLERY=media, 12]30 Gallon QT by krislhull posted Oct 12, 2015 at 8:07 PM[/GALLERY]

ziggyzoo

I stripped down my 240 for a thurough vacuuming, thinned out the livestock, and rearranged everything upon reassembly[GALLERY=media, 11]240 101015 by aaronfeeney posted Oct 10, 2015 at 3:40 PM[/GALLERY]

Oh, while I had the lids leaning on the railing of my deck, the wind blew hard and dropped one, shattered both pieces of glass. 2 pieces 38x10 $44.00. Also ended up doing 75% water change.

That tank is sooooo sweet!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
I installed a garbage can and a work bench. Then spent time cleaning up tools etc.

20151015_175833.jpg

Bob

I can't have work benches. As you see in my pic, they just turn into places to put aquariums.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Finally got the video I shot yesterday uploaded. It's the other thing I got done in the fish room.