What did you do with your fish tanks today? Pics appreciated!

Mike16T

Thanks and I got all of them from you except the wild caughts :( I had so many goofy passwords I just set up a new account awhile back. They are still doing good, I think I have only lost 2 in what 6 or 7 years now since they were fry? You have anything tank wise going on now and where you at, still in the Seattle area? Kind of odd I haven't had any holding for almost a year, they go through the motions but no holding. Talked to a few other troph people about it and they think since the colony is so big it's like they don't need to.
I got a small planted tank now and yes, im in Seattle area. I posted my current tank on this thread, you can check it if you like... =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Bob

Just an update. Got tired of the mix of substrate I had in the tank that has changed over the years. Aragonite, crushed coral, cichlid mix and pool filter sand. It was starting to look really cruddy and generally ugly. I sucked it all out with a 1.5" hose out the window, then replaced it with 3 bags of straight pool filter sand. Deducted a few rocks and added a few new ones. PFS is so nice to sift and seems to stay nicer then the expensive tank substrate.

Looks so much cleaner.

What lighting are you using? Looks really good.

JimmyZ

What lighting are you using? Looks really good.

2 48" reef bright beamworks. I have some of the blue and white lenses covered with black duct tape. If I had to do it over again maybe when these die, I will go with std ones or something different.

Bob

Set up this tank today. 55g, painted the bottom. Grow out tank for my cyps and paracyps. Ended up throwing in some sandsifters too, so naturally i put sand in it. Pretty much wasted my time by painting the bottom lol.

55g_zpsn0yr9jc9.jpg

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Next time you're int he shop you can see how many tank bottoms I've painted and then put substrate in... I can never seem to be happy lol.

Loren

I especially enjoy setting up a new tank and then several weeks later deciding to put on a background. Then rather than a easy 5 minute job it becomes a 30 minute nightmare because of only 2-3" of space between the back of the tank and the wall.

Laura

Cleaned 4 of the 5 aquariums- (and 1 gecko tank)... trying 30% pwc on these 4 -twice per week instead of 1 giant one once a week...
image.jpeg
Moved kevin from hosp tank back to his home... Trimmed all plants- even though some dont look like it... And harvested snails for yoyos... (Not in that order)

Break time :)

Hope it is ok to post on this thread...

image.jpeg

Loren

Cleaned 4 of the 5 aquariums- (and 1 gecko tank)... trying 30% pwc on these 4 -twice per week instead of 1 giant one once a week...
View attachment 2767
Moved kevin from hosp tank back to his home... Trimmed all plants- even though some dont look like it... And harvested snails for yoyos... (Not in that order)

Break time :)

Hope it is ok to post on this thread...

View attachment 2766

This is the perfect place to post. Congrats on all that you accomplished. I'm sure that your fish will appreciate it.

Loren

unnamed.jpg

Made fertilizer capsules to insert in the gravel by my plants. A GSAS video gave me the idea. I must have missed the part though where they instructed you to make a pin hole in the capsule so that the air comes out. Otherwise the capsule will blast to the surface like a rocket ship. :(

Laura

unnamed.jpg

Made fertilizer capsules to insert in the gravel by my plants. A GSAS video gave me the idea. I must have missed the part though where they instructed you to make a pin hole in the capsule so that the air comes out. Otherwise the capsule will blast to the surface like a rocket ship. :(

I bought some of these from Ebay... Not sure about the pinhole - its hard to see if there was one in mine- but mine still bubbled... Popped open. My plants seem to enjoy the fert that stayed in the substrate though!

Thinkin about trying a liquid fert Cory has at his store... General fertilizer - Easy Green i think its called- one dose per week sounds so easy lol

Great job doing this on your own! Prob more cost effective than buying from ebay? :D

Loren

I am using the liquid fertilizer from the Co-op as well but some of my plants in the 46 gallon tank are struggling so wanted to try direct root fertilization.

L190

Hmmm, I am wondering if you can make some clay balls with osmacote in it to give plants more iron and prevent the capsule from floating

Mike16T

I did the same too yesterday. Also added some MTS Capsule from NILOG for iron and other ferts. =)
Agreed with @Bob , be careful on how much you put. mine I put like 9 capsules of Osmocote on a 15 gallon tank (main tank) approximately 1 every 3-4 inches radius.

Laura

Hmmm, I am wondering if you can make some clay balls with osmacote in it to give plants more iron and prevent the capsule from floating

@L190 Is there a link that tells how to make clay balls? I ordered some red clay tabs but they were so thin... Balls would maybe disintegrate slower ?

@Bob I didnt know osmocote capsules release ammonia... I wonder if the 'slow' release isnt noted as much because the plants gobble it up?

@Loren - i suppose root feeders still need the ferts in substrate :/

Loren

@L190 Is there a link that tells how to make clay balls? I ordered some red clay tabs but they were so thin... Balls would maybe disintegrate slower ?

@Bob I didnt know osmocote capsules release ammonia... I wonder if the 'slow' release isnt noted as much because the plants gobble it up?

@Loren - i suppose root feeders still need the ferts in substrate :/

I think the issue I have is just the height. Even though I have two LED lights for this tank it is still a struggle for the light to adequately reach the low growing plants.