Thinking ahead. Secret Santa?

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
Just thinking ahead the holidays are coming up. I know some forums do a secret santa type of thing. I'm not sure exactly how to execute it.

I'm thinking possibly we put together a gift that fits in say a flat rate box, the one that ships for $6 or $11. And then everyone posts here when they have a box filled with aquarium related goodies. Then on a specific day we'll dole out names to people etc and you can contact them for the address to send it to. You can only participate if you are sending a gift etc.

Anyone besides myself interested in this? I'd say we'd probably want to avoid shipping livestock. Although you could include a coupon for some livestock that you've bred. Maybe I say like oh I breed platies, here some gift, if you'd like some, lets meet up sometime and you can have 6 free etc.

MRTom

This sounds like an interesting idea, though shipping kinda takes the oomph out of the whole giving gifts and geeking out thing... How about doing regional get togethers? Like say some north seattle fishboxers get together one day, south seattle fish boxers another day, Olympia fish boxers another, central WA another day, Olympic another day... That way some people who'd be up to driving to further ones could join multiple gatherings and we could cross pollinate beyond our local region? It would put the onus on a few fish boxers to organize and put each gathering together, but it might be a bit more fun to do that way. And that way we all get the chance to get together and just geek out for no reason :)

A

Anonymous

@mrtom.   Might be toooooo much work to do and its busy season for the rest of some fishboxers.  What cory suggested is already in play. "Plant it forward"  same concept but more as a big group than individuals shipping plants but aquarium stuff or whatever.

I'm in. :) but you already knew that.

Oh, and Santa doesn't exist...silly goose.

Yes, that's right. I'm here to crush everyone's dreams.

MRTom said:
This sounds like an interesting idea, though shipping kinda takes the oomph out of the whole giving gifts and geeking out thing... How about doing regional get togethers? Like say some north seattle fishboxers get together one day, south seattle fish boxers another day, Olympia fish boxers another, central WA another day, Olympic another day... That way some people who'd be up to driving to further ones could join multiple gatherings and we could cross pollinate beyond our local region? It would put the onus on a few fish boxers to organize and put each gathering together, but it might be a bit more fun to do that way. And that way we all get the chance to get together and just geek out for no reason :)
The only problem with that, is that it becomes too intricate to put something together, when you have to depend on other people to "do their part" so to speak. Now, I'm not saying that it's NOT doable, but dong something where you're depending on other people to make it work, can be tricky to pull off (group orders, anyone? Yeah. Exactly. LOL.)

Also, there are some people with transportation constraints *ahem*me*ahem* . . . can you imagine, having to ride the ferry eeeeeevery time there's a gathering? Oh my goodness. =P unless......of course..... you pay for all my ferry tickets. :santa:

MRTom

Lol, you don't have to attend all of them. My thought was that people could pick the one they would attend, and if you really wanted to attend two of them, then it would be worth the ferry ride for you in particular. That said, it is just an alternative :) I'm happy with the shipping method too.

A

Anonymous

PokeSephiroth said:
Oh, and Santa doesn't exist...silly goose.

Yes, that's right. I'm here to crush everyone's dreams.
:nutkick: .oO SANTA IS REAL!!!!

LuminousAphid

How about an in-person secret santa at a set location? If it's just fishbox members, we could even have a poll about what location would work best for each member, and then choose based on that.

Or, we could have multiple locations if that turns out to eliminate half the people interested... 1 in the south sound/Tacoma area, 1 in the north sound/Everett/Marysville area?

Just my thoughts. I would definitely like to participate, however we do it.

edit: just realized this is what MRTom said in the second post, my bad guys

Cory

Administrator
Staff member
It will be impossible to coordinate a location that will work for most people and a day/time. Especially around the holidays.

For instance, I'm available ONLY on Thursdays. I think it'll work out much better for just mailing the gift.

I'd say if you were looking for a specific get together. The GSAS Christmas party is a good way to interact with other fish enthusiasts. Lots of us here are already members.

DrakeAquatics

We can set up a King and Snohomish meeting at Aquarium Co-op one of these Thursdays and make Cory work haha.

Realistically it will be extremely difficult to set things up during the Holidays for people to meet up. Work parties, Family Parties, all them Holidays... Don't forget the Hangover recovery days... haha

A

Anonymous

DrakeAquatics said:
We can set up a King and Snohomish meeting at Aquarium Co-op one of these Thursdays and make Cory work haha.

Realistically it will be extremely difficult to set things up during the Holidays for people to meet up. Work parties, Family Parties, all them Holidays... Don't forget the Hangover recovery days... haha
:iagree: :lol!:

MRTom

Doh! I forgot to schedule vacation time for hangover recovery days ;)I'll need about the whole month of January! :kittyl:

KaraWolf

Sounds like awesome fun!! though I'd have no idea what to get 0.o I feel pretty understocked in everything fishy and it seems like everyone has plenty in the way of long lasting supplies*goes and gets a giant thing of fish food*

NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!!!!
Never-GIF.gif