Geophagus sp.

cjag

I have a question for you guys.

Like a fool I put a bid on a pair of tapajos on aquabid doubting I was going to win.

Well... I forgot about it for seven days and imagine my surprise when I got the email saying I had won.

So they're here, and they do not look like redheads to me. What do you guys think?

20210428_205230.jpg

Their coloration and bodies look different to me as well as the size of their lips.

20210428_205313.jpg

I decided what the hell I've got space for them.

cjag

They are definitely not redheads. What was the aquabid description?
"Red hump Geophagus pair"

Man I should've been suspicious when there was no scientific name...

Upon some research looks like G. steindachneri goes by red hump...

Arrgh common names. Confused Red head and red hump.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
'Red Hump Geophagus' is a common name often applied not only to G. steindachneri, but also to G. hongdae, which may or may not be the same species. That said, I believe the fishes you have are G. pellegrini. If so, you've lucked out, because G. pellegrini are seriously nice fishes, not easy to come by. And if they really are a male/female pair (as opposed to just 2 fishes), then you've really lucked out. :thumbsup

g_pellegrini_01.jpg

cjag

'Red Hump Geophagus' is a common name often applied not only to G. steindachneri, but also to G. hongdae, which may or may not be the same species. That said, I believe the fishes you have are G. pellegrini. If so, you've lucked out, because G. pellegrini are seriously nice fishes, not easy to come by. And if they really are a male/female pair (as opposed to just 2 fishes), then you've really lucked out. :thumbsup

Yeah after reading a bit last night seems like Geophagus taxonomy is a bit jumbled at the moment. That is crazy if they really are pelligrini.

They're really going to look like this?

Screenshot_20210429-095951_Firefox.jpg

I guess we'll see as they get older. What makes you think they're pelligrini and not steindachneri?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I did a google image search and visually your fish does resemble geophagus steindachneri. Will be fun to watch the maturation process in these. Especially the male if you have a pair.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...What makes you think they're pelligrini and not steindachneri?...
The markings on your male are virtually identical to typical young G. pelligrini, and the overall morphometrics- especially the snout angle- are more similar to G. pelligrini. We'd likely need a DNA test to be sure, but as someone who has kept both species, my money is on G. pelligrini. But just to be clear, not all G. pelligrini populations develop the deep coloration of Rio Meta. :thumbsup

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Cute little guys, and looking very healthy! I have a soft spot for Geophagus, and this brings back memories. :thumbsup