Geophagus sp.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I thought that I had removed all the G. Brasiliensis juvie's from the pond but I found 3 dead. They must have expired recently as they are just starting to grow the death slime. The free floating algae has died off too.PXL_20211111_165943057.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Moved all the redheads to the 120g. I have enough levamisole coming from select aquatics that I can dose the entire fish room if necessary. Unfortunately, I didn't notice the little parasite bubble on the O. eigenmanni until after moving the M. Hypsauchen into the 220g. I figure I'm already cross contaminated so I will medicate both tanks.
PXL_20220215_012723394~2.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Day 3 update: Eggs are gone and the parents are still defending the area. I'm assessing that the pair are holding the wigglers.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Day 11: as of yesterday evening both were still holding. I may try to move them to my planted 55g.
I've always found this breeding strategy to be fascinating: it starts out as if they were typical substrate spawners, then transitions to buccal care of the young just like bona fide mouthbrooders. As it's clear that mouthbrooding is the more advanced breeding strategy, this probably represents an intermediate stage during the evolutionary transition from substrate spawning to mouthbrooding. It's also interesting that the brood size is small for a typical substrate spawner, but large for a typical mouthbrooder; again supporting the idea of an intermediate stage. It's not often in biology that we get to see these kinds of 'missing links.'

Back to more practical matters; why do you want to move them? It's always risky to move fishes that are mouthbrooding, especially if that are not experienced. I see you've got rainbow juvies as dithers (of course); why not move them, even if it's just a few at a time? And/or install a tank divider? Good luck; these are gorgeous and interesting fishes. :thumbsup