Geophagus sp.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Well, the G.B. spawned in the last 24hrs. I didn't get to observe but the middle sized one is protecting the eggs. She doesn't seem worried by the SD as they swim into the nest area with out her spazzing. The smallest G.B. Is a different story.
PXL_20210321_183801465.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
G. braziliensis sell for pretty decent prices so if you get a group from this batch you should be able to get a nice price on them. OR just set up more tanks and keep them all! ;)

Congrats on the spawn!

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
G. braziliensis sell for pretty decent prices so if you get a group from this batch you should be able to get a nice price on them. OR just set up more tanks and keep them all! ;)

Congrats on the spawn!
We'll see. This is a small spawn. I now at least know who the male and female are. Need to decide what to do with the 3rd wheel.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Rather bummed. I moved 6 of the 7 remaining RH tapajo fry to the 55g. I found 2 dead the next morning. One is still in the 29g as it hides as soon as I dip a net in the tank. The others are mixing with the cory cats and the 2 kribs.
PXL_20210322_191019040.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
Very cool video. This is why cichlids are so popular.

From the behaviours, I would bet that the third Geo is a female.

It will be difficult to raise any fry in this setup, no matter how vigilant the parents may be, because once they become mobile, the parents won't be able to keep them together, and guarding them will become impossible. You could raise fry in the brooding tank if the tank was very heavily planted, and any non-Geo tankmates were a minimal threat to the fry. And for sure no catfish. :thumbsup

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Very cool video. This is why cichlids are so popular.

From the behaviours, I would bet that the third Geo is a female.

It will be difficult to raise any fry in this setup, no matter how vigilant the parents may be, because once they become mobile, the parents won't be able to keep them together, and guarding them will become impossible. You could raise fry in the brooding tank if the tank was very heavily planted, and any non-Geo tankmates were a minimal threat to the fry. And for sure no catfish. :thumbsup
If they make it to the free swimming stage I will try to syphon them out.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
They moved the rocks on the left into a tighter clustern and then moved the fry again. The area within the cluster is the size of a quarter.