Geophagus sp.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
This one's for @fishguy1978. I was cleaning out bookmarks in my browser recently and ran across this link-

It's a video on how to set up an FX6, but if you fast-forward to ~7 minutes there are some shots of his tank, which contains some nice Geo's and Severums. What the Oscar is doing in there I'll never know. :roll

cjag

Hey @fishguy1978 I've been trying to find a picture you posted but I can't find the thread. It was of a pretty huge acrylic tank you set up kinda recently and I really liked the substrate mix you used in it. I was just trying to find out what it was if you can piece together what tank I'm referring to.

Madness

Staff member
The 260g has a mix of 5/16 Chinook and Ozark. The 220g and the 120g have a mix of either Chinook or Ozark and lapis lustre. The Lapis listre used to be available in a 3-5mm grain size but is now only available as a sand(1-2mm). Manufactured Minerals, Renton.
View attachment 10271View attachment 10272View attachment 10273
Is it that manufacturer mineral currently only has Lapis luster in sand ? Last time i was there they had all sizes

cjag

I cant even find the lapis lustre on their website. Oh, what's the substrate in your tapajos tank? Have you had any issues with the bigger grain size and your brasiliensis?

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I cant even find the lapis lustre on their website. Oh, what's the substrate in your tapajos tank? Have you had any issues with the bigger grain size and your brasiliensis?
The Brasiliensis aren't really Geo's in the way they mouth the gravel. The Tapajo actually dump the sand back through their gill slits were the Brasil just take up mouthfuls and then spit it out. Even when they were in the 120g that is more sand than gravel it was the same.
I had to ask for the Lapis when I went in. It is a Cemex product, I think. I like it because it has a tan hue and hides the diatom algae discolor that white sand takes on.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Is it that manufacturer mineral currently only has Lapis luster in sand ? Last time i was there they had all sizes
I asked for the 3-4mm size when I was last there and all they had was the sand. I do have some of the 3-4mm grain size in my 55g and planted 29g. I'm not sure if it was out of stock or a discontinued item.