Boring, Dull, African fish...

AE86-Danny

madness said:
JimA said:
For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks. :ibox: The fish I have are fairly easy to take care of and I enjoy watching them swim around with the occasional chasing.
HMMMMMM, I disagree. You say a tank full of active colorful fish. OK you get that with Africans, mainly because if they aren't banging into each other they aren't happy. So you are able to stuff the tank full of color.

But, my C/S Am. tanks are full of color. Maybe not the bright yellow or blue, but definitely many different and bright colors. Now you kinda slam us with " than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks". And 100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks is better? Now my tanks are not dark, and my fish are from from lethargic. In fact I would venture to say that S/C Am tanks are far more enjoyable to watch. And you can't possibly tell me that your Africans have even 5% of the personality of the S/C Am. Cichlids. When I put my hand in the tank, the fish fish swim up against me, like a cat does. I literally hand feed some of them. (they come up to my hand and gently take it out of my fingers) In fact if I had a tank large enough for me to get into it, I bet my fish would come over to me and interact. Yours would scream and hide. :)

So, yes lots of brighter colors. And your done there. No competition what so ever when it comes to everything else.

If you dont agree, feel free to come on over and I will introduce you to some lame, big, lethargic, fish. Oh wait, I dont have that, so if thats what you want to see, you wont find it at my place.

I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead. :ibox: backatcha!!

i know this is old, but i thought id throw in some change.
I'm not sure where you get "100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks"
I have 11 Cichlids and love them. I also am a big fan of S/C American Cichlids. However.

Oscar's are like dogs, you can pet them, you can make them jump after your finger.
But not all dogs liked to be pet, and not all dogs play with balls and fingers.

Another thing to add... I dont know what you are talking about when you say "Scream and hide" you say it like they are affraid of you.
Here is where i disagree... i stick my hands in the tank all the time, atleast 6/11 of my fish will begin interacting with me.
swimming by me, swimming around my hand, playing with eachother almost "showing off"

Again, not all dogs play, and not all dogs run.

Another thing, i dont know how you can even compare a cichlid with a chihuahua.
I don't know any chihuahua who will constantly bite and chase to protect a bone or his "house"
I would compare them more to a pitbull.. who WILL hite, and chase to protect a house or bone...

my fish are territorial. My fish dont care if the fish is 3x their size, they will fight for their spot.
Its like David Vs Goliath.

Why are car guys into Honduh Civics? Because its an oddball, small, typically known to be slow car.
Yet with an engine swap they DESTROY muscle cars. without a turbo or nitrous needed.

Its not about whats cool, or whats more pretty, its about what YOU as the owner like.

i hate civics, i cant stand what people do to them, but i respect them. and i understand why their owners appreciate them.

In the arguement on which one is cooler, swims more, is prettier.

you name a S/C American Cichlid and ill name a south african cichlid that is more active, has more colors, and swims more.
and after i name the african i am sure you could name an S/C American cichlid to match...

ITS PREFERENCE, there is no better, there no prettier, there is no cooler fish.
I personally LOVE watching Africans fight. They swim crazy rapid, all of their colors pop. they become fierce...

Oscars for instance, fight aswell... however they just lock lips and it looks like a hardcore makeout session.
if you are into watching fish makeout over territory.....

Anyways, africans have amazing fighting sessions, mating sessions, their personality is unique etc..
and i do agree, S/C American cichlids do have nice colors, and are a pleasure to watch.
but they are both equally beautiful, equally have amazing personalities, and equally are unique and special to own.

Adonijah

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IJ_R-G_i4Xk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Madness

Staff member
AE86-Danny said:
madness said:
JimA said:
For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks.
47263.gif
The fish I have are fairly easy to take care of and I enjoy watching them swim around with the occasional chasing.
HMMMMMM, I disagree. You say a tank full of active colorful fish. OK you get that with Africans, mainly because if they aren't banging into each other they aren't happy. So you are able to stuff the tank full of color.

But, my C/S Am. tanks are full of color. Maybe not the bright yellow or blue, but definitely many different and bright colors. Now you kinda slam us with " than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks". And 100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks is better? Now my tanks are not dark, and my fish are from from lethargic. In fact I would venture to say that S/C Am tanks are far more enjoyable to watch. And you can't possibly tell me that your Africans have even 5% of the personality of the S/C Am. Cichlids. When I put my hand in the tank, the fish fish swim up against me, like a cat does. I literally hand feed some of them. (they come up to my hand and gently take it out of my fingers) In fact if I had a tank large enough for me to get into it, I bet my fish would come over to me and interact. Yours would scream and hide. :)

So, yes lots of brighter colors. And your done there. No competition what so ever when it comes to everything else.

If you dont agree, feel free to come on over and I will introduce you to some lame, big, lethargic, fish. Oh wait, I dont have that, so if thats what you want to see, you wont find it at my place.

I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead.
47263.gif
backatcha!!

I'm not sure where you get "100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks"
I have 11 Cichlids and love them. I also am a big fan of S/C American Cichlids. However.

Oscar's are like dogs, you can pet them, you can make them jump after your finger.

Another thing to add... I dont know what you are talking about when you say "Scream and hide" you say it like they are affraid of you.
Here is where i disagree... i stick my hands in the tank all the time, atleast 6/11 of my fish will begin interacting with me.
swimming by me, swimming around my hand, playing with eachother almost "showing off"

I don't know any chihuahua who will constantly bite and chase to protect a bone or his "house"
I would compare them more to a pitbull.. who WILL hite, and chase to protect a house or bone...

my fish are territorial. My fish dont care if the fish is 3x their size, they will fight for their spot.

Why are car guys into Honduh Civics? Because its an oddball, small, typically known to be slow car.
Yet with an engine swap they DESTROY muscle cars. without a turbo or nitrous needed.

Its not about whats cool, or whats more pretty, its about what YOU as the owner like.

i hate civics, i cant stand what people do to them, but i respect them. and i understand why their owners appreciate them.

you name a S/C American Cichlid and ill name a south african cichlid that is more active, has more colors, and swims more.
and after i name the african i am sure you could name an S/C American cichlid to match...

I personally LOVE watching Africans fight. They swim crazy rapid, all of their colors pop. they become fierce...

Oscars for instance, fight aswell... however they just lock lips and it looks like a hardcore makeout session.

Anyways, africans have amazing fighting sessions, mating sessions, their personality is unique etc..
and i do agree, S/C American cichlids do have nice colors, and are a pleasure to watch.
but they are both equally beautiful, equally have amazing personalities, and equally are unique and special to own.
Did you read the whole thread? Are you looking to start something? The comments back and forth were playful jabs between African owners on this site and C/S Am owners on this site. I have an African tank, (BORING) and I have several S/CA tanks. So not sure where you are going with this. Oscars are lame, and Africans are just OK IMO. I would NEVER own a Honda (LAME), I will stick with the CA Cichlid car, a good old 69 Mustang fastback. Wo, what was that? That was a.................................... (African) Honda that ....................... I just flew past. Welcome, but your barking at the wrong tree, for the wrong reasons.

AE86-Danny

madness said:
AE86-Danny said:
madness said:
JimA said:
For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks.
47263.gif
The fish I have are fairly easy to take care of and I enjoy watching them swim around with the occasional chasing.

I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead.
47263.gif
backatcha!!

Did you read the whole thread? Are you looking to start something? The comments back and forth were playful jabs between African owners on this site and C/S Am owners on this site. I have an African tank, (BORING) and I have several S/CA tanks. So not sure where you are going with this. Oscars are lame, and Africans are just OK IMO. I would NEVER own a Honda (LAME), I will stick with the CA Cichlid car, a good old 69 Mustang fastback. Wo, what was that? That was a.................................... (African) Honda that ....................... I just flew past. Welcome, but your barking at the wrong tree, for the wrong reasons.

Not trying to start anything with anyone, just posting some things.
And yes i did read the whole thread. It sounded to me like you were simply pushing your opinion on the others. just sayin.
African Tank being boring? What kind of Africans did you have? because none of mine are "boring"

You think Oscar's are lame... sounds to me like you only like stupidly aggressive, chubby fish that dont do well with others.
i can appreciate that tho..

for the record. i own a 64 Mustang 302 Smallblock, 66 VW bug, AE86 (google it), and an 85 MR2. Recently sold the 86 MR2 for the AE86.

And umm... On the car situation... Not all 69 Fastback stangs were fast, infact alot of them were gutless piles, with insane potential after a motor swap.
i hate when people say Chevelle this!! Nova that! Mustang This! Civic That!!
All of those cars were piles of crap until swapped. For instance the beloved 69 SS Chevelle 396... 14.66 sec @ 99.8mph 0-60MPH in 6 Seconds.
I used to have a list of like 150+ muscle cars in stock trim doing quarter mile runs, 0-60, HP, engine, tranny specs etc...
70% of those cars ran sub 15 second quarters, 10% ran high 14s, 10% ran low 14's, and less than 10% broke 13's...
My opinion on muscle cars might shock you... i believe strongly that they are all show no go.
simply because almost ANY respectable "sporty" car from any of the japanese car manufactures will break sub 15 second quarters.
and they are supposed to be cheap and gutless right? Yet they are competing with these Goliath cars, with stupid big engines, with HALF the engine and less then half the cc or cubic inches.

Anyways, not trying to start up an argument or a fight.. like i said just giving an opinion.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
As the person who started the whole thing to begin with, let me state the purpose of it. At the time this was done wafishbox was pretty slow. So to get people more involved I had posted goofy topics like this. This was done in fun and got a lot of response. This was really not meant to be taken seriously that 'my fish are better than your fish'. madness was right when he said it was playful jabs :joker: + :ibox: = :laughhard: ! So AE86-Danny dont get so wound up on a topic that was done in fun.

TerenceH

HAHAHA!!! This is pure comedy. I always say people in the PNW are so uptight, do not know how to laugh, joke and just so damn serious. Always trying to be polite and friendly and feelings being hurt... :) I could rant about this endlessly but I do not want to be "rude"

SA/CA cichlid people have a tiny complex... :)

The smart-assed black guy has spoken. :afro:

me

@DMD123

That's why I tried to bring some humor back to the topic :clown:

For the record I only keep africans, but every Cichlid is cool in my book.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I feel like I should start a Bettas are better then cichlids...

I like all fish, plain and simple!

Zerc

AE86-Danny said:
...sounds to me like you only like stupidly aggressive, chubby fish that dont do well with others.
Breeding pairs never do well with other fish, and Madness only owns breeding pairs. This is not Madness's fault. We like to blame his water. He put a dovii in with a turtle last week and hes already has eggs!

Betty

Staff member
I like them all too, DMD. :heart: If I had the time, room, and money, I'd want to keep some of everything, including saltwater. I've had a lot of different types of fish in my 40 years being in this hobby, and the African cichlids, especially from Lake Malawi, are my favorites.

I guess I should apologize for not seeing some of those early comments as playful jabs. The 100 stupid little chihuahuas with no personality comment kind of got to me. :tongue:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well as a big dopey CA cichlid owner I did not mean to offend anyone. Like I said the purpose was to get some activity going here. And you know what it worked! Glad to see people wanting to defend their choice in pets but we should not have to do that because we are all here for the same reason... Our love of fish! :D

Madness

Staff member
Well I do enjoy my Africans, just not to the point of talking about them. I can take pics of them too, if you all like. IMO C/SA Cichlids are more entertaining and interactive.

:no: :no: :no: :no: NEWBS :no: :no: :no: :no:

Like D said, It worked didnt it!!! Now we get to see Betty's wonderful setups, Me and Terance's beautiful fish. Annthrax came back. (though most of us would like to see him leave again.
185565.gif
) JK.......

Zerc shared with us his awesome collection, Adonijah came out of the closet, and started showing his family. And several others have chimed in and became very active. Nicely done D. :)

They all will and do work for each of us, and if you cant be chill a bit when you get a friendly jab, its not going to work.

Dont get me wrong, we do get into some good discussions, but they themselves should stay on topic. :)

Betty

Staff member
madness said:
Well I do enjoy my Africans, just not to the point of talking about them. I can take pics of them too, if you all like.
I'd like. :)

Madness

Staff member
ok, here are a few of my Africans. The back glass has algae all over it, not the front.

one of the Victorians
P1070499.jpg

Astalilopia (sp)
P1070491.jpg

one of the Neo's, cant remember which
P1070490.jpg

part of the family of Brichardi
P1070484.jpg

another Vic
P1070479.jpg

and the shellies
P1070469.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I can not confirm or deny any such African tanks existing in madness house. Said pictures could have been altered and belong in the category of UFO's, big Foot and the Loch Ness monster. (They do not exist!)