Boring, Dull, African fish...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Ok, I am trying to get some activity going on this site. So tell me what makes Africans so appealing? They seem so boring and dull compared to Central or South Americans! So let me have it :ibox: tell me about your Africans...

Spyral

I don't keep them anymore, I keep a Festae tank now.

Generally, they are far more colorful than most CA/SA fish and tend to be a lot more active. They don't grow as big as CA/SA fish.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Spyral said:
I don't keep them anymore, I keep a Festae tank now.

Generally, they are far more colorful than most CA/SA fish and tend to be a lot more active. They don't grow as big as CA/SA fish.
Ive heard them referred to as "the poor mans saltwater tank". They just get no love.

JimA

For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks. :ibox: The fish I have are fairly easy to take care of and I enjoy watching them swim around with the occasional chasing.

I guess it comes down to what people are in to. I am sure you know there are a few forums with people that love and have both.

My thoughts are if I am going to have a big tank I want as much color and action I can get, it's why I chose what I have.

Africans have a ton of personality and many different species to choose from.

Jimapics003.jpg

Rick

I have never kept cichlids but when I see such a nice tank like your Jim I sure start thinking about trying. I realy like the color and that back ground is great.

Rick

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
JimA said:
For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks. :ibox:
Touché, nice comeback! :spoton: And I thought there would be no action on the African part of the forum, but I was wrong. :violent:

JimA

I actually am using my son's tank right now as a fry grow out for 20 some Rustys. 40 gal After those go away I was considering doing a planted type tank with tetra's and other smaller fish just not sure when. I also have really hard water, high PH/ALK so not sure what will work that's fairly easy to keep?

Madness

Staff member
JimA said:
For me I would rather have a tank full of active colorful fish than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks. :ibox: The fish I have are fairly easy to take care of and I enjoy watching them swim around with the occasional chasing.
HMMMMMM, I disagree. You say a tank full of active colorful fish. OK you get that with Africans, mainly because if they aren't banging into each other they aren't happy. So you are able to stuff the tank full of color.

But, my C/S Am. tanks are full of color. Maybe not the bright yellow or blue, but definitely many different and bright colors. Now you kinda slam us with " than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks". And 100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks is better? Now my tanks are not dark, and my fish are from from lethargic. In fact I would venture to say that S/C Am tanks are far more enjoyable to watch. And you can't possibly tell me that your Africans have even 5% of the personality of the S/C Am. Cichlids. When I put my hand in the tank, the fish fish swim up against me, like a cat does. I literally hand feed some of them. (they come up to my hand and gently take it out of my fingers) In fact if I had a tank large enough for me to get into it, I bet my fish would come over to me and interact. Yours would scream and hide. :)

So, yes lots of brighter colors. And your done there. No competition what so ever when it comes to everything else.

If you dont agree, feel free to come on over and I will introduce you to some lame, big, lethargic, fish. Oh wait, I dont have that, so if thats what you want to see, you wont find it at my place.

I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead. :ibox: backatcha!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
JimA,
Ive seen your tank posted a few times it is quite inspirational. Very natural setting. Still wouldnt make me want Africans, I prefer big lumbering giants. :tongue:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
And 100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks is better?
:lmfao:

madness said:
I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead.
:laughhard:

Hey, what do you have against chihuahua's and a box of fruit loops?

Come on settle down, this was just to get some activity going here. Im happy to see there is still some fire left in these African keepers! If we could just get more of them to post.

JimA

madness said:
JimA said:
HMMMMMM, I disagree. You say a tank full of active colorful fish. OK you get that with Africans, mainly because if they aren't banging into each other they aren't happy. So you are able to stuff the tank full of color.

But, my C/S Am. tanks are full of color. Maybe not the bright yellow or blue, but definitely many different and bright colors. Now you kinda slam us with " than a big dark tank with 2 or 3 big lethargic fish just swimming around amongst some sticks". And 100 stupid little chihuahua's swimming in and out of rocks is better? Now my tanks are not dark, and my fish are from from lethargic. In fact I would venture to say that S/C Am tanks are far more enjoyable to watch. And you can't possibly tell me that your Africans have even 5% of the personality of the S/C Am. Cichlids. When I put my hand in the tank, the fish fish swim up against me, like a cat does. I literally hand feed some of them. (they come up to my hand and gently take it out of my fingers) In fact if I had a tank large enough for me to get into it, I bet my fish would come over to me and interact. Yours would scream and hide. :)

So, yes lots of brighter colors. And your done there. No competition what so ever when it comes to everything else.

If you dont agree, feel free to come on over and I will introduce you to some lame, big, lethargic, fish. Oh wait, I dont have that, so if thats what you want to see, you wont find it at my place.

I guess if I want bright colorful chihuahua's with no personality, I'd go buy a box of fruit loops instead.
Seems you took it a bit personnel. :laughhard: For one I don't have my tank overstocked so no it's not a bunch of chihuahua's. running around. I will say I have seen some tanks that do resemble that. As far as personality hard to say but if you want to have hand sex with your fish that's fine with me.

To each his own.

Madness

Staff member
JimA said:
As far as personality hard to say but if you want to have hand sex with your fish that's fine with me.

To each his own.
:laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

Thats a good one. :D

Im trying to get a rise out of some of them, so we can get more interaction. :scratch: Maybe they should go swimming with my fish. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
JimA said:
but if you want to have hand sex with your fish that's fine with me. To each his own.
:ihit: Sorry Ive just always wanted a reason to use that one!

You gave a whole new meaning to "loving" your pets :hugg:

JimA

DMD123 said:
JimA said:
but if you want to have hand sex with your fish that's fine with me. To each his own.
:ihit: Sorry Ive just always wanted a reason to use that one!

You gave a whole new meaning to "loving" your pets :hugg:

It's one of the reasons I like Africans as well?

I like to watch 8)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
:idea: So that what it means when someone posts "Help me sex my fish" :lmfao:

Billiethekid

I have a love for Both but i think My african tank is a great piece for a dull room because all the activity yet the larger C/S Am's would make a better Focal tank in a living room or dining room... i have quit gettin africans and thinking of getting rid of mine because i cant seem to add a new 2-3 fish ever.. all will end up dead plus one of my ones tht ive had ='( but life goes one... i have taken a liking for rams, convicts in a tank of tetras and smaller cats, and Angelfish =-) nauratic to peaceful (with exception of breeding convicts >.<)

JimA

Billiethekid said:
I have a love for Both but i think My african tank is a great piece for a dull room because all the activity yet the larger C/S Am's would make a better Focal tank in a living room or dining room... i have quit gettin africans and thinking of getting rid of mine because i cant seem to add a new 2-3 fish ever.. all will end up dead plus one of my ones tht ive had ='( but life goes one... i have taken a liking for rams, convicts in a tank of tetras and smaller cats, and Angelfish =-) nauratic to peaceful (with exception of breeding convicts >.<)
What have you got for the africans?

Billiethekid

4 Red Zebras from Larry Beck (well 3 from him 1 from their spawn =-)) 2 kenyi (not the killers.. big chickens infact) and a M. Gresheki (SP) then 2 jewels plus one unknown Blue one... Used to have 2 livingstonii 3 more Red Zebras and 2 others i dont rememebr till i tried to add 2 then game over....

gobluecichlids

If I were to get africans, I won't be heading to the pet stores. I would agree it would be pretty dull and boring. LFS didn't convince me into africans, I got to visit fish farms and local fish breeders and go after the UNCOMMON ones.. I compare my fronts to oscars. Frontosa can get up to 14" and they are one of my favorites.

see my pics below....that was enough to get me hooked on em

034.jpg

135A.jpg

kiriza_1.jpg

225display.jpg

kampgroup.jpg

110tank1.jpg