Boring, Dull, African fish...

gobluecichlids

Billiethekid said:
4 Red Zebras from Larry Beck (well 3 from him 1 from their spawn =-)) 2 kenyi (not the killers.. big chickens infact) and a M. Gresheki (SP) then 2 jewels plus one unknown Blue one... Used to have 2 livingstonii 3 more Red Zebras and 2 others i dont rememebr till i tried to add 2 then game over....
I see they were put in a 30 gallon tank, you need to go bigger to see success, and more fishes. more fishes=less agression

Betty

Staff member
Stupid? little? chihuahuas with no personality? WTF? :evil:

I love my African cichlids. I would never describe them as dull, boring, or stupid. They don't have the type of personality that some of the large CA/SAs have, but to say they have no personality is wrong.

I like all of the different types of cichlids, old and new world. I just prefer the Africans.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
gobluecichlids said:
I compare my fronts to oscars. Frontosa can get up to 14" and they are one of my favorites
These I will admit, I like. Probably because they remind me of CA/SA cichlids too. :tongue:

Very nice fish, thanks for the pictures!

Come on guys lets keep this going, how about some more pictures of the little fruit loops. (Have to have read earlier comments by madness to understand)

bassetman

I've had oscars and really enjoyed them, Now I have a colony of fronts and they eat from my hand just like the oscars did. They are very comparable in personality. I switched to africans When I moved because my water is very hard and high PH. perfect for rift fish right out of the tap.

Madness

Staff member
Really, if I were to set up an African tank, I think I would go all Frontosa. They look good, they get big, and really look a lot like C/S Am. Cichs. :D

JimA

bassetman said:
I've had oscars and really enjoyed them, Now I have a colony of fronts and they eat from my hand just like the oscars did. They are very comparable in personality. I switched to africans When I moved because my water is very hard and high PH. perfect for rift fish right out of the tap.

I am on a well and the water is very hard as well, one of the reason I chose Africans also.

Betty

Staff member
In response to the original post:
They come in a large variety of colors. Here are just a few, these are some of the species I keep or have kept in the past.
3871c53f.jpg

pscb.jpg

d3ce59e8.jpg

4340f1a9.jpg

26740712.jpg

8f8d6892.jpg

e40c4723.jpg

DSC_0484.jpg

They come in a variety of sizes. I've read that the Boulengerochromis microlepis from Lake Tanganyika can grow up to 36 inches (at least in the wild). I have a couple of species that reach 10 - 12 inches and one species that's small enough to fit into snail shells.
IMG_6127.jpg

IMG_1739.jpg

Personality is hard to show in pictures, but I have some real characters. Some of mine like to be hand fed and will swim into my hands -- I've even had some jump out of the tank and land on the lid or at my feet. My saulosi like to bite me!
8acb2b83.jpg

IMG_58392.jpg

bignose1.jpg

IMG_5242.jpg

IMG_1870.jpg

f1.jpg

4.jpg

Female mouthbrooders will go weeks without food while their babies are developing in their mouths.
holding.jpg

276da42c.jpg

I enjoy keeping them and nine of my tanks are African cichlid tanks.

bassetman

I have a 75 Gallon with Mbunas and the 200 with 10 fronts (Kigoma F1). The Mbunas are great to watch, with complex interactions. The Fronts are Relaxing and peaceful. The two tank contrast each other nicley. Great photos Betty, some really nice fish. :D

Madness

Staff member
Yes, lots of color, and.......................................................... just not my thing. Dont see anything in those pics that would lead me to want to start an African tank. Sorry. Thy look nice though.

Betty

Staff member
No need to be sorry, madness. I'm not trying to convince anyone to start an African tank. Just responding to the " tell me about your Africans" in the first post.

Madness

Staff member
Not a sorry cause you didnt convince me, its a sorry cause I just dont see why. :(

But come on all of you, tell us more about your African tanks. :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
Really, if I were to set up an African tank, I think I would go all Frontosa. They look good, they get big, and really look a lot like C/S Am. Cichs. :D
There a handful of Africans I would consider, the Fronts would be on my list. Some of the Tilapia's are pretty cool and of course the Emperor cichlid!

So it took a "your fish are lame" to get you African keepers posting. Expect more, :ibox: I like to see the activity here!

Almost forgot, nice pictures Betty, those fish look very nice! Keep up the good work! :spoton:

HOLY CRIMMINY! What gorgeous photos!!! I love the Africans - especially the Malawi Mbunas! Before I left the hobby in the 70's, I was keeping and raising them in some 110g tanks before my work and my family duties became overwhelming. THAT won't happen again!

I will be setting up my next tank with Mbunas in the next few weeks (I hope - gotta find a place for it!). I am not a SW guy. I love FW. I'm not a monster fish guy either (adult angels are the largest I keep...so far, but you know how interests evolve and change!). I love the smaller species and their intricate body designs and colorations.

As far as dull & boring...as Dr. Phil would say, "What's up with that?" If you want exciting, active, colorful, fish with fun behaviors, just set up a tank full of Mbunas! If you want aggressive fish, just put the right mix together and you got 'em! Same for less aggression. And their rock scraping feeding behavior and colors will rival the SW reef fish.

I don't knock the enthusiasts who keep large fish. This is a great hobby and provides different strokes for different folks. And I enjoy visiting LeisureMan's home with all his big fish. Maybe he should charge me admission fees! But, as one fish keeper said to me as he was downsizing his fish sizes, there's a lot of wasted tank space when you have a 90 gallon tank with just 2 large cichlids and a plecostomus in it.

As I am jumping back into this hobby, it amazes me how many more species have been introduced. It is not surprizing to see scientific names changing as the relationships between species are becoming better recognized and defined. Also, the knowledge we now have available about the fish, their habitats, and their health issues (The Malawi Bloat used to kill my Mbunas and I could not figure it out. Didn't even have a name for it then!) has increase multifold.

Okay....That's my bit for the day! I'll step down from my soapbox and let someone else have it! Nice thread. I'm learning who to go to for Mbuna help in the future!

BTW, DMD123....Good work to keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You pot-stirrer, you!! :p

Ron

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fishloverRon said:
BTW, DMD123....Good work to keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You pot-stirrer, you!! :p
Thanks Ron,

What I found funny was how lame of a response I got from the CA/SA people when I posted Festae-Whats the big deal? These are the Holy Grail of fish to CA/SA keepers yet not much said... http://www.wafishbox.com/t3895-festae-whats-the-big-deal

African fishkeepers must just have more pride in their fish for the response has been much better. Or else they really do feel like they have to defend their dull, boring fish :ibox: Just a joke :laughhard:

I know what you are! We are of like kind! I was dubbed "Maytag" this week by my wife's cousins while vacationing with them because I'm such an agitator!

And BTW: We need no defense. We Mbuna types don't have to have big things just to build our "self confidence"....Just got to get those big, cumbersome Cichs out of the way so you can see, THEN appreciate the beautiful, delicate Mbunas and all they have to offer!

Long live the pot-stirrers, for they shall keep things lively! And I'll drink to that! :beer:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
fishloverRon said:
We Mbuna types don't have to have big things just to build our "self confidence"....Just got to get those big, cumbersome Cichs out of the way so you can see, THEN appreciate the beautiful, delicate Mbunas and all they have to offer!
Are you trying to say the CA/SA fishkeepers are trying to "compensate" for something?