Bad morning

Anthraxx

dude i hope it works out for you. but if it doesnt give africans a look see. with a tank that size you could just have one seriously colorful puddle... really bummed that midas gave up. hope the pearsei makes it. but hey look at the bright side. ur getting 100$ tonight that can go towards getting you new stock. but if that pearsei dies id bleach the tank and do a cycle all over again.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I started the parasite treatment on the pearsei. I got the Jungle Parasite Clear at Walmart which is the same as the Tetra at petsmart. It was only $3.39 a pack so it was about $1 cheaper than the Tetra. I will see if this does the trick. The pearsei has been breathing very heavy so I wonder if it is a parasite, maybe gill flukes. I will keep you guys updated.

Zerc

after using the potassium it says to increase the aeration of the water as much as you can to prevent suffocation. (just in case)

Madness

Staff member
Not a bad idea Zerc. If you have extra air pumps and stones, throw them in. I have some air stones if you need a couple.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
No improvement to the pearsei this morning but I feel I am on the right path. He is breathing very heavy with what almost looks to be a cough like he is trying to get something out. He still does not eat but still looks to have a lot of life in him. The silver dollars seem fine with 2 of them eating a little last night. They are now all very nervous with the big midas missing. He was kind of a calm influence in the tank and made them more mellow. I will continue with the parasite treatment and salt. I might do a few salt baths on the pearsei also. But at least he is alive and there is some hope still.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
After some more reading this morning Im not so sure I am on the right path. I may still be dealing with a columnaris issue. It may have got into the pearsei gills. I think I will try the bi-furan/salt bath on him.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Meds are expensive. I am tempted to buy a bunch of stuff on-line at much cheaper prices and just keep it on hand.

Pet mountain does free shipping at $49

The bi-furan I just got for $12 in store they have for $5
http://www.petmountain.com/product/pond-fish-bacterial-medications/11442-508986/hikari-bifuran-plus-treats-3-4-oz-100-gal.html?utm_source=gcs&utm_term=11442-508986

The tetra parasite guard was $4.39 in store they have it for $3
http://www.petmountain.com/product/external-parasite-aquarium-medications/11442-523771/tetra-parasite-guard-tabs.html

Maybe we should do a group buy on meds!

Anthraxx

o hey DMD ive got an order going already through foster and smith. if you wanna get in on it just gimme a call. or better yet ill just call you. if you wanna get in on it id be happy to help ya. free shipping since im already over the limit.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the offer! I already have the bi-furan so I will give the guy his dip. It was one of those things I was not expecting so I did not keep a whole lot of stuff on hand. I will probably keep a few more meds on hand now. We almost should create a must have list for people to deal with most of the common issues.

Madness

Staff member
Foster and Smith is a great place, but check out the cost differences between them and Pet Mtn. No comparison, I will order everything from Pet Mtn, unless F & S has something PM does not.

D' have you added more air stones and air into your tank?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have not added any more but I will. I noticed the edges of the gills looking white which makes me think the issue of the fungus is in the gills. I got some Tetra Fungus Guard from petsmart which is basically bifuran. I will treat him with that tonight.

Anthraxx

lol i like the service i get from foster and smiths.. NEVER a recording its always somebody actually alive and without robotlike qualities. ive done orders from both and i just prefer good customer service. treat me well and i will always come back. screw me once and consider yourself on the black list :p.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Anthraxx said:
lol i like the service i get from foster and smiths.. NEVER a recording its always somebody actually alive and without robotlike qualities. ive done orders from both and i just prefer good customer service. treat me well and i will always come back. screw me once and consider yourself on the black list :p.
Ive never had issue with F&S even when I had to return something. They do have good customer service.

But then again Ive never had an issue with pet mountain. They always got my stuff to me and it was exactly as advertised.

I end up shopping at multiple places because of price and free shipping. So far I have not had any issue with the companies I have dealt with. I sometimes go to pet solutions or big als for things also. I price shop at four different places before I finalize my order.

Anthraxx

yeah i do a lot of the same stuff. but i really do prefer foster and smiths. they always make sure i get what i need quickly and safely. we'll see how well glass lids travel.. lol

Madness

Staff member
Annthraxx, you call and order? You dont do it online? I have never spoke to either of them and both are great about getting stuff to me. So then it comes down to $$$$. If F & S is $150 for a bunch of product, I guarantee the Pet Mtn is $100 or cheaper.

As for glass tops. Those I have ordered from F&S about 6 times, and never an issue. They pack them quite well.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have found a few items cheaper at petsolutions but most of the time petmountain has the best price.