Bad morning

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
So many of the disease symptoms involve loss of appetite and stringy poo. Since no one has been eating I am not sure. I guess at this point I could try something geared toward internal but am having a hard time caring. I feel so powerless since I am at work and cant really do anything till this evening. What meds should I try now? Maybe I can save a couple of fish.

Madness

Staff member
Unfortunately if it is internal, the fish need to ingest the medication to some extent. When my Festae had internal issues I used Parasite Guard by Tetra. It worked well. They sell it at Petsmart for like $4/ bx. Each box treats 80 gal. It says treat, water change, treat. Then the fish should be OK. It worked with my Festae. :( Or you can mix up some epson salt solution and use an eye dropper to put in the fishes mouth and force them to swallow.

Do they even attempt to eat? Like put in mouth and spit out?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
They did attempt to before I had left for the weekend. Right now nothing. I guess I have nothing to lose now trying more meds.

Madness

Staff member
I know catching the Pearsi would be stressful. But maybe try some epson salt on him. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Any replacement ideas for my midas? I know I am not going to get anything expensive. After the loss of the argentea I realized I was stupid for spending so much on a fish. So I am looking at something $10 or less and probably something fairly common. Might even raise Oscars, most people cant seem to kill them with the worst of care so I should do ok with them.

Zerc

Try breeding some bleekeri ! :cheers:

i heard they are a lot like oscars.

Maybe some long finned dempsey from madness?

Madness

Staff member
Dempseys are all gone. But thanks. :) I think a beautiful Hoga would be a beautiful replacement. Along with a Zonatum as a tank mate. Two beautiful fish, with great personality.

But those Dempsey were stunning. APFP has the remaining 15.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive had a Dempsey before. I found it to hide too much. I want to be able to see the fish out and about. Ive seen other JD's that are a lot more outgoing. Mine just was not. Love the look of the EBJD but I do not want to deal with the cost or sensitive nature of this.

The bleekeri are nice but not cheap from what Ive seen.

I will wait until the die off's stop and see whats left. Hope the pearsei is still in the mix.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
I think a beautiful Hoga would be a beautiful replacement. Along with a Zonatum as a tank mate. Two beautiful fish, with great personality.
Just wish they were a bit bigger. Really hate the giant tank with little tiny fish to have to grow out. The starting over part just sucks. Its a good 6-8 months worth of time before the fish even have a real presence in that large tank.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Sad because I was just there on Sunday. But I was hopeful so I did not come home with any fish.

Madness

Staff member
Well thats a good thing though. Lets figure out what is going on, correct it and then add new members. :)

Adonijah is selling his 7+" Argentea.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Zerc, I actually look at your stock and could see getting many of the same fish in mine. The Gt, convicts, jag, leporinus are all fish I would consider. But again let me figure out what is going on first THEN I will see where to go.

A

Anonymous

Sorry about your loss D. It really sucks to lose a fish you had for so long. In the year and a half I had my pearsei, I grew attached. Then came the hole in the head. And it was a big blow. Then the black belt flipped on him and that was that. I have lost a few fish over the years that really hit me hard, and it turned into a mild and temporary depression. Things will be better, and it sucks to start over. But it sounds like you have a good plan going. Stick to it and I'm sure it will all work out. Again sorry about your loss bro.