Bad morning

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
He does not look the same as in my avatar. Mouth is sticking out slightly, and a swelling is going on. Looks to be the same issue as in the MFK forum.

What is really irritating is that water quality is supposed to be one of the issues. I know I gravel vac and change out water regularly and so do you. So why the issue? I guess stress on the fish of some sort and then it succumbs to the bacteria.

I will say I wonder if my large piece of wood in the tank is causing some of the issues with water quality. I might take it out and bring it to my work where I can hit it with a hot water pressure washer.

I will treat for a few more days and if I still cant get it figured out, I will give you a call. Thanks for the help!

A

Anonymous

Sorry this is going on D, I wish there was something I could do, but I'm not to good with fish illness. But you have all my hope that your big guy pulls through. Keep at it man, just like madness, be persistant, and do your research. Good luck bud.

Madness

Staff member
One thing Mel mentioned and it makes a little sense. Every year at this time our local water suppliers add chemicals to our water based on the readings they get. They o this to prepare for the change in our climate. I would call your water company and ask. Grant it, its not going to help you now, but it would be nice to know if they are adding something that your not not preparing for.

As for your fish. Thats what I read also, that the bacteria that causes it comes from and grows off of rotten food. Maybe you have some under something in the tank. When I moved my driftwood in my Dovii tank, I was shocked to see the amount of decade food under it. Never would have guessed it would be there. Its like it was growing on the underside of the wood.

Are you doing daily 50%+ water changes? Add salt, 1TBL /10 gal to the tank on every water change. Not just equal to how much water you put in, but equal to the size of tank.

Let me know.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have not taken the wood out and cleaned under neath yet, but it is on my list. I am doing 50% water changes and have added salt. I have not bought any antibiotic type meds. I have only been using the combo of Pimafix, Melafix, salt and gravel vac w/50% daily water changes.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that the cotton like growth is gone but there is swelling that appears pinkish red. Not sure if that means its starting to heal or getting worse. His mouth does not seem as distended as it first was.

He has not eaten but still has belly fat on him so I think he should be ok. I have been trying to tempt with some softer foods but not interested yet.

Anthraxx

in all honesty hes probably plugged up really good. thats just my thought. your fish are... well for lack of a better term FAT!! haha. i really hope they work out but maybe cut back on food. itd be like u eating 1lb of cheese and then not being able to use the latrine for a few days.. in my mind at least. again GL and i hope that he is better by monday.. :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Its hard to feed everyone in a tank with aggressive eaters. I do a mix of pellet sizes to try and slow down the greedy ones but they just over do it while the slower ones dont get anything. So you could see who the greedy ones were :pig: , the Midas and Pearsei. The fish have been fed much leaner lately to cut down on the waste that helps feed the bacteria. The fish look very good right now.

And your comment about my fat fish reminded me of a bumper sticker: "So I'm fat, your ugly, I can go on a diet" :tongue:

Madness

Staff member
DMD123 said:
And your comment about my fat fish reminded me of a bumper sticker: "So I'm fat, your ugly, I can go on a diet" :tongue:
185565.gif

Anthraxx

ya i had a good laugh at that one too. my buddys dad has a similar saying.. you cant feel ugly in the dark... but u can sure feel fat.. :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard: :laughhard:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I am not seeing any progress with his illness. I guess that could be a good thing since it does not look any worse. There is a swelling that looks to be under his teeth on the upper right and lower left of his mouth. I am thinking of moving some fish around and use the 29g as a hospital tank and start working at him with antibiotics.

Madness

Staff member
Not a bad idea, but what if the problem is in the water? Just a thought. You should give him a bath. Either salt, Bifuran, Peroxide, or all 3, something.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
Not a bad idea, but what if the problem is in the water? Just a thought.
Right now I'm medicating the 210g tank for the sake of all the occupants. No one else is showing any issues but the stress of medicating everyone is showing. All the fish have had reduced appetites since the treatment with pimafix, melafix and salt.

madness said:
You should give him a bath. Either salt, Bifuran, Peroxide, or all 3, something.
This may be an idea but the stress of catching him and them putting him back in has me worried. But this might be way I will go.

Madness

Staff member
DMD123 said:
This may be an idea but the stress of catching him and them putting him back in has me worried. But this might be way I will go.
I thought the same thing. But what alternative do you have? I lowered the water level to below half way, and then caught him. He is an Amphilophus, he is a hardy fish. Then slowly fill up the other tank. I put in sodium permanganate in the main tank while it was filling. Turn off filter while doing this. after about a 40 min bath, return him back into his main tank. He wont be happy or active, but he will come around.

Just an idea. Good luck...

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Where did you get the sodium permanganate? What dosage?

What combo do I need for the bath? I need to buy the stuff...
Also dosage for this?

The only thing I have to give him a bath in is a 5g bucket, which he will fit in but he wont be happy!

Madness

Staff member
I used a 7 gallon tote for the tub. Used non-iodized salt @ 1TBL/gallon of water, add Bi-furan to the bath also. The temp should be 72-75 degrees. Put large airstone in bath. Hydrogen Peroxide can be added also. I added 2 capfulls to my bath.

The potassium permanganate is found in a product by Jungle that helps clear the water. I have some, I will give you. Add the correct dose, (it says it on the container) to the main tank. Add salt (non-iodized) to the main tank @ 1TBL/ 10 gallons. Also add stress coat or some type of additive that will help coat him. The bath will break down his slime coat. I use Artemiss & Herbtana by Microb-lift.

So really all you need is Non-iodized salt, Bi-furan, and something to help replenish and sooth him once he is returned to the main tank. And Prime or whatever you use to make the water safe.

I could assist, I have the container, and the Potassium Permanganate, extra pump and airstone. I am all out of Bi-furan.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I forgot about totes. I have one in the garage. I also have the salt, Hydrogen Peroxide, extra pump and airstones. I need to stop by the store and check if they have the bi-furan. I dont see it listed on petsmart or petco websites. Who else local would have it? Aquarium paradise and B&I are on my way home from work tonight.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
B&I and AP both have it so I will pick some up tonight and give the big guy a bath.