Bad morning

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
madness said:
How about the potassium permanganate? Want me to swing some by?
That I could use. If your free tonight after work I could stand a bit of help. I'm off at 5 and will stop by the store on my way home for the bi-furan.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was just thinking I am a worst case scenario person. I dont keep a lot of meds on hand but I do have clove oil. :suspect:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
Let me know when your home, and I will cruise over.

Clove oil? :confused:
Clove oil is to euthanize fish in a humane way. It puts them to sleep. You can use it in lighter doses to knock them out to perform surgical procedures like fix gill curl in large cats and arowana.

Madness

Staff member
I am having dinner at a friends around 7 or so. We should be done long before then. Let me know.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I will call you when Im home.

Thanks for your help!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I have used the clove oil to put down a few fish now. If done correctly they just go to sleep and then you administer the last fatal dose and that is it. Kind of a complicated procedure but seems the most humane. Whats interesting is when people use it to knock out their big cats and arowana so that they can cut the gill plates when the fish are suffering from gill curl. That is a pretty interesting procedure.

Yep Im full of useless information! :D

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness, a big THANK YOU for helping me out with the midas and his bath. :spoton:

Will keep you informed on his progress.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This morning the midas was not eating but the inflamed area under the teeth looked less red. The swelling was still there but he was swimming around with a little pep so I hope he is on the track to getting better. With all the meds and drastic water changes over the last week all the fish have seemed to lose their appetite. The big worry was seeing the Pearsei with what appeared to be a bit of loose flesh by his lips. He has been acting lethargic so I am a little worried.

As to having any fun at The Wet Spot, we will see. I am going to Portland with the wife and friends who are not fish people. So we will not spend very much time. :(

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I got back from Portland Sunday night to a very pale bleached out looking Midas. Tried to feed the tank but no interest. Saw the Pleco had a sunken stomach, and the pearsei still had a bit of loose flesh that as he breathes would go in and out his mouth. Did a water change and added salt.

Monday morning watched the life go out of the Midas. He could not hold himself upright at all and was barely breathing. I put him down with clove oil. Then the pleco started to also have issues and I had to put him down. So as of 8:45 this morning I still had the Pearsei who was not eating and my 5 silver dollars who were not eating. I can not even begin to figure out what caused this. I take good care of my tanks, and they get regular water changes. I feel as though I have wasted 3 years of my life on the midas and pleco. Also a waste of $59 on the wc argentea I lost. Now will I get to go home to another expensive death with my wc pearsei?

I am not sure what I'm going to do. This has been a huge kick in the crotch when it comes to my confidence in raising fish. I have never had an issue like this before even as a kid not knowing what I was doing. I have never lost so many fish with no real explained reason.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
czeiszler said:
That sucks sorry for your loss.
Thank you, it is bad when you lose fish but worse when its a real pet. I was way to attached to the midas.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
madness said:
I am so sorry to hear this. I will do some looking. :(
Thank you for all your help in trying to get him better. It was almost as if he was waiting till I got back to go...