All things Shell Dwellers

Anthraxx

Re: All things Shell Dwellers

oh im sorry you misunderstand my reccomendation on PH, anytime i tried to use buffers (before i just bought the substrate of course) it just seemed to flucuate too much and ended up just hurting the fish. i personally wouldnt adjust the PH at all. your more then likely not going to get wild caught fish so its not as important as you think. id say oxygenation rates and temperature are more important. the lake itself doesnt change temp throughout the year so as close to 78 as you can keep it is ideal.

Anthraxx

just proud of this awesome photo and figured it was appropriate to share here. pretty darn sure its a big male. the females tend to be more wishy washy on the color as you can see on my other thread of some in the background.

@ Cory: feel free to take for shelldweller.com, on a side note. ever put any thought to putting a new section in for species profiles? it could be user generated and include whats worked / not worked for each other. sort of a nice way to help others without sifting thru tons of threads. also it could boost the forum use because the search engines seem to pick up species profiles a lot easier then individual threads.

master chi

+1 to species profiles!!

WikiFishBox,I think it would be great to have,but instead of user generated,how about some amount of published literature with a way for users to make comments about each species,and what has worked?

It would probably make having a decent sized database easier to add,but still provide the community another way to interact

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

We( mods) discussed this recently.  I think it's a great idea too. I'm not sure if our current website can support this... I'm not really techie so I can't remember what the pros and cons were

Anthraxx

i just figured it could be a nice way for us to share our pics and experiences. anybody can read a species profile but a short tid bit on what works and what doesnt from somebody with first hand knowledge could be cool. that way it would expand as people here share more of what they keep and all that jazz.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

It would take someone with the knowledge of how to set it up to make it work. If someone knows how to create that database etc. We could have a link to it on our menu bar. I'm not sure if we could link the logins with our current forumotion forum. But it would make a great case for moving the forum if that option opened up to us :)

A

Anonymous

Hey cory. Are getting any of these species? 
pairsm10.jpg

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

Not currently. IMO they are a more advanced shell dweller to keep. Not as easy as many of the others.

Anthraxx

those are melagris or specsious. both are harder to keep shelly wise, pretty much any of them that have that pit bull look. definitely gonna need like a 20g long for a pair. great fish to watch and keep (got some in my 40g) but they are definitely much harder to keep long term then multies brevis etc. hope this helps, i should have babies soon, the group i got has some size on them already and they seem to be settling in quickly.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

Neo. Brevis Kitumba Orange Belly came in today with more Multies.

Anthraxx

those are some excellent looking brevis. also got some good size on them already so it should be easier to get a pair. GL to whomever snags em, kitumba is a really nice location :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

You guys are killing me! I have an empty 20L pretty much ready to set something up in and shellies seem like such a good thing to put in there!

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

I've already ordered hundreds and different types of shells. Just waiting for them to arrive sometime this week hopefully. I'll post pictures of the types etc when they get here.

I'll just leave this here.... :)

[flash=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/g6mu21ESyGI" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true[/flash]