All things Shell Dwellers

Re: All things Shell Dwellers

Right man. Actually have a big convoluted fish deal in Rainier Beach Sunday. 1030-1200...if you can make it work I'll bring em. Text me

Aaron

A

Anonymous

TheFishPimp said:
I have a group of 7 I'd let go of for $70 with 10 shells from their tank. Can't be certain w/o liftin skirts but at a glance I'd say 3m/4f.

TFP
 :spoton: - Thanks Aaron!

I want to thank everyone for their input on this thread. TFP is working with me to pick up his already established colony with shells next week.

Anthraxx

definitely gonna need more shells, multies like piles not individual shells. males typically will inhabit a shell at or near the top and entice females to move into the lower lvls. as i understand it the rule of thumb is 3 per fish minimum. i know your getting more already im just telling you this as you may see some temporary aggression issues when they finally settle in.

A

Anonymous

Anthraxx said:
definitely gonna need more shells, multies like piles not individual shells. males typically will inhabit a shell at or near the top and entice females to move into the lower lvls. as i understand it the rule of thumb is 3 per fish minimum. i know your getting more already im just telling you this as you may see some temporary aggression issues when they finally settle in.
Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate any and all input. I've never house these type fish before. I was planing on getting enough shells to cover the entire substrate, even behind the stones. There is about 2 1/2 inches of sand so I am ready for some digging and the possibility of having to prop up the stones so they don't fall over.

I wasn't thinking about needing to get more shells right away but now that you mention it I'll keep on searching diligently.

hose91

Congrats on the new occupants for your tank!! From all accounts, they're pretty fun to watch, and I'm hoping to start a Tang tank in the near future, so I'm looking forward to seeing how your colony does. Sounds like you're off on the right track. I'd second Anthraxx's info on 3-4 shells per fish, if not more, and for covering the substrate with shells, based on reading/research.

A

Anonymous

hose91 said:
Congrats on the new occupants for your tank!!  From all accounts, they're pretty fun to watch, and I'm hoping to start a Tang tank in the near future, so I'm looking forward to seeing how your colony does.  Sounds like you're off on the right track.  I'd second Anthraxx's info on 3-4 shells per fish, if not more, and for covering the substrate with shells, based on reading/research.  
I am with you guys. Sounds like I'll be getting 10 shells and 7 fish in the deal. There should be room for 5-6 more shells. It'll be next week for the pick up. This  weekend I'll make some calls in the Whole Food Market and search around a bit for shells.

I'll keep everyone updated on my African cichlid adventure on the Evolution of a 9.5 Gallon thread.  8)

I just found this thread and could have hooked you up. The lot of 6 Multi's @ the June auction were from our colony. As of last week it numbered in the mid 60's, but as of lastnight I was watching the tank and discovered another 10-15 so if anyone is ever in the need for very healthy N. Multifaciatus, give me a shout.

When it comes to shells, if you happen to be military, then your commissary will have a gourmet snail can that includes a dozen shells for around $4.00. Our's also love to tunnel under rocks as much as they like shells. So definitely use sand as a substrate and put some rocks in place for them to use as well.

We got our start from a GSAS auction late last year and they have reproduced rather easily.

Heather & Dennis

Here's a photo of our Multies and the escargo shells they call home:

IMAG0715.jpg

Heather & Dennis

Anthraxx

id be glad to take some of those little guys off your hands. already sent u a PM inquiring about them

Jay

Glad you found some and we always keep these guys in our fishroom - a great little fish!

Anthraxx

multies will never stay as a trio, id suggest looking at brevis if a single pair is what your after.

A

Anonymous

kuhaku89 said:
Would a spec v be to small for a trio of these guys?
Anthraxx said:
multies will never stay as a trio, id suggest looking at brevis if a single pair is what your after.
I think this means that they will breed so they wont stay a trio but technically you can house 3 in a 5 gallon? Or do you think a 5 gallon is to small for a community of multies?

Anthraxx

eventually they will outgrow it, if it were me id just get 4 brevis and let a pair form. then rehome the extras and call it good. multies just wont enjoy the lack of legroom once they breed. if your willing to pull a bunch of babies regularly then youll be okay with multies. but honestly its going to require an extra tank for them to grow up in.

kuhaku89

Anthraxx where did you get your brevis from ?

So a pair would be ok in a spec v but fry rearing would have to be separate tank?

Not into raising babies just like to enjoy the fish figured it be a challenge for me.I have 2 spec v tanks ones a Betta tank other was a salt water tank, just tore down befor summer, thought a shell tank would be a cool setup for this size tank

Any input on type of substrate to use thought someone said use play sand in an earlier post.

Any other information or where I should go to research further would be great:)

Anthraxx

they will eventually have babies, in my experience the brevis fry are pretty much left alone by the parents (once they get large enough) at this point its really easy to toss em into a 10g for a cpl months and then move em on to somebody else. i got my brevis from APFP a long time ago, but cory at the co-op has had them on his list for a cpl weeks now so id look into going that route (fish quality is WAY up there) definitely gonna wanna go with a sand substrate, again the co-op has a really nice variety of brownish sand. looks really good, also is the only place ive found with sand worthwhile to use. definitely look at cichlid-forum.com for some of the articles in their library. they have a lot of stuff on shell dwellers that is full of good information.

side note: if your not into raising the babies why get cichlids? the entire appeal of them comes from their parental instincts. (or at least for me)

A

Anonymous

Anthraxx said:
they will eventually have babies, in my experience the brevis fry are pretty much left alone by the parents (once they get large enough) at this point its really easy to toss em into a 10g for a cpl months and then move em on to somebody else. i got my brevis from APFP a long time ago, but cory at the co-op has had them on his list for a cpl weeks now so id look into going that route (fish quality is WAY up there) definitely gonna wanna go with a sand substrate, again the co-op has a really nice variety of brownish sand. looks really good, also is the only place ive found with sand worthwhile to use. definitely look at cichlid-forum.com for some of the articles in their library. they have a lot of stuff on shell dwellers that is full of good information.

Pretty much everything but the tank in my new shellie tank is from Aquarium co-op . Cory is a wealth of knowledge as well. The sand, rocks, the small canister for this 9.5, lighting, and the Anubias nana petite - Aquarium co-op.

I found a nice deal on fish though. 7 multies, 20 shells. One package deal from a member had to go for it.

I was concerned about over breeding in my 9.5 as well. There is just so much space. I do have a breeder box to start little ones in but I had to find an outlet or it wasn't going to work. So I may raise some up , post to sell cheap. If they don't get adopted out my Angel fish, dwarf pike, and dwarf acara will initiate them in the 140...

A

Anonymous

Thank you. Have you seen the new shellies in my thread? Just got them 2 days ago.