All things Shell Dwellers

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Re: All things Shell Dwellers

Thanks anthrax for the info!  I just saw both of those ( calvus and multis) discussed a lot on. The shell dweller site so I wanted to ask......

Also thanks for info on aggression. I think that aggression is the only thing im used to haha( American cichlids and hemichromis elongatus) so I'll have to research a bit more before I make a definitive decision .

A

Anonymous

SiRWesDragon said:
Well went and got the fishes from adal. The gold occellutus female died before I got there. So no pair  :(  but got the male gold occellutus,  the leloupi, the juli (in another tank, thinking of trading him it for a multis) and the long fin chocolate pleco. Overall it was still a good trade off for both of us. He got blue pearl shrimps, he wanted  less maintenance shrimps barely feedings but bi-monthly or tri-monthly (20 shrimps in a 30gal). And I got a few fish I liked but no pair  :(  better than none.
Anyone have a female or juvis occellutus? And/or some other shellies for sale (Fish box members only)?

Anthraxx

i dont think anybody around here had ocellatus anymore. adal was the last guy i sold some too WAY back when i had em. id say just do a small order for some thru the wet spot. i would not buy any less then 4 tho as extra females is fine just need the single male tho. really stinks the female couldnt take all his aggression (it happens a lot with shellies if they dont have enough space) its the reason ive suggested caution with ocellatus, specious, and melagris to a lot of the other people on here. i wish you luck but be ready with an extra tank to put unwanteds into. you gotta be johny on the spot with removing them, they can quickly become picked on to death. ive even found unwanteds dead in buried shells... weeks later mind you :(. if you have any questions feel free to text me wes, been working long hours lately so its just easier. pics of the tank would help too. on a side note id watch that lelupi if you wanted to add it to the shelly tank, they are notorious for killing shellies for food both in captivity and in the wild (they naturally prey on shellies)

A

Anonymous

Huh. Shoot I left them all in the 20gal tank and I'm in California for 2 days. Hope they are alive when I get back home.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

Shells have arrived. Haven't resized and uploaded the pictures yet to the website. But here are the raw images.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Is the quarter included?  :joker: 

That is a lot of nice choices. I have to stay away from this one or else I will end up with a shellie tank.

Betty

Staff member

Nice to see all the interest in shellies. I've kept brevis and stappersii. I still have one old male brevis. I think I've had him around eight years now.

Anthraxx

Sweet! youve got some really nice variation in there for sure. i like the size reference's as well.

B

big01612

Sorry Actually I just bought the last brevis from midway. Check APFP. Saw a few and other nice tangs that other lfs dont carry. Ask for Shannon she is the knowledgeable cichlid gal there.

B

big01612

Really? I believe APFP have more cichlid selections than midway or Co-op. But Midway has more than blue sierra. At APFP ask for Shannon. She can tell you which of those africans are shellie tangs. Some of the employees there are pt high school kids. She is in on weekdays not on weekends. She help me a few times telling which are possible male and female and possible compatibility of species.

MorganEA

They have potential to be a great fish store but everytime I've gone in the tanks were dirty and the staff was dismissive and rude.

Anthraxx

next time mine breed ill be sure to capture as many as possible (found out the male eats them whenever he gets the chance.. ugh) but i managed to get pics of the last batch! BABIES!!!