All things Shell Dwellers

Anthraxx

Re: All things Shell Dwellers

brevis tend to prefer less shells then multies for sure. as always plan for sand substrate so they can dig and rearrange the way they choose. try to get at least 4 so u have a good chance at getting a pair. once they establish themselves remove the extras and rehome them. i personally only have like 4-5 shells in with my brevis. all in a nice little pile. they seem to prefer the larger opening shells like escargot, whereas ocellatus species like smaller openings so they can make sure nobody else can fit inside. another major issue id have is making sure you have the location for the species you buy. its a big issue with tang cichlids as theres lots of different color morphs depending on where they are from. PM me if you have any further questions, be glad to help you out.

A

Anonymous

Kuhaku89. I found some brevis at APFP in Burien, if you're ready or in rush to get some paired adults. They are maybe a couple more paired brevis. Mine share the same shell.

A

Anonymous

fishNAbowl said:
Well I really like your set up Wes and gave it a fiver in the gallery  :spoton:
Well, Chad. Appreciate the compliment. It's you guys that inspire other people to do other things besides the norm by showing/sharing your experiences and pictures of the inspirational setups.  :spoton:

MorganEA

Has anyone kept Neolamprologus caudopunctatus? I saw them at APFP and really liked them. It just so happens that we have a spare 20gal hanging around  :whistle

Anthraxx

caudopunc's are more of a small rock dweller. they have a great upper dorsal stripping and stay pretty small but they can be a bit rambunctious amongst each other. a 20g would be a great start for them just give them ample rockery to claim. they breed within the rocks and will adamantly defend the nest site, so be prepared to rehome / relocate and extras you may have. theyre a great little tang to pick up just aim for 1-2 pairs. so 4-6 fish at least. the larger the footprint the better so id suggest a 20g long. these little guys wont do too much redecorating so plants will do fine as well. maybe even a high ph dither.

Madness

Staff member
All things Shell Dwellers

I have split a WTB thread up and put the shell dweller discussion part of that thread here so that the conversation regarding this fish can continue once the WTB thread dies and then falls off the page.

Continue with the Shellie Conversation that was happening on FishnaBowl's WTB thread: :)

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Thanks for doing this! There's a lot of useful info on here for people like myself who are intrigued by the shell dwellers, but haven't actually given them a chance! 

Now for the rest of you, keep on with this good stuff and don't forget to add some pics!  Even you , Cory! Show us what you have in stock.

Cory

Administrator
Staff member

I'll try and grab a pic of the multies while at the shop today.

I'm seeing if I'll get up the courage to order from here: The import/custom fees etc might be insane. But they have so many wild caught shellies etc. Also all the prices are in euros so it's even more expensive. I'm afraid I'll go broke buying all the things I want.

http://www.airfish.de/english/html/stocklist.html

A

Anonymous

Aquarium Co-Op said:
I'll try and grab a pic of the multies while at the shop today.

I'm seeing if I'll get up the courage to order from here: The import/custom fees etc might be insane. But they have so many wild caught shellies etc. Also all the prices are in euros so it's even more expensive. I'm afraid I'll go broke buying all the things I want.

http://www.airfish.de/english/html/stocklist.html
Spoken like a true aquatic hobbiest, LOL!

A

Anonymous

Aquarium Co-Op said:
Here is the first tank I'm selling up for shellies after all these years.

It's simple now, but I'll be working on it. More pictures at http://www.shelldwellers.com/index.php?topic=7140.0 but they just show an empty tank and cleaning substrate etc.
After suggestions of adding some MTS on shelldwellers.com I am going to add some. . Starting to develop mulm in the tank. With the new residence starting to dig they are throwing this mulm around the whole tank, lol! Time for a water change and a light sand vacuum :)

Anthraxx

honestly ive kept many species of shell dweller without much PH alteration. in fact ive only ever used argonite as a primary substrate source, and lace rock. never seemed to have any issues so long as the tank is well oxygenated and nitrates are kept low. i seemed to run into more issues when altering ph then when i just left it alone. just my two cents, ive also stopped using water conditioner and it doesnt seem to have hurt anything (so long as i dont do more then 50% WC's) ran out of conditioner one day and had to do a WC on a fry tank. everybody took it like champs so i just gave up on that expense :p

A

Anonymous

Anthraxx said:
honestly ive kept many species of shell dweller without much PH alteration. in fact ive only ever used argonite as a primary substrate source, and lace rock. never seemed to have any issues so long as the tank is well oxygenated and nitrates are kept low. i seemed to run into more issues when altering ph then when i just left it alone. just my two cents, ive also stopped using water conditioner and it doesnt seem to have hurt anything (so long as i dont do more then 50% WC's) ran out of conditioner one day and had to do a WC on a fry tank. everybody took it like champs so i just gave up on that expense :p
Unfortunately my water here in Maple Valley and Covington is too chlorinated. You can smell the chlorine as you fill the bucket with cool water. So that is expense is necessary for me but this ph formula thing is cheap expense for those who don't use argonite or lace rock or coral (whole rock or crushed).