210 Gallon Tank

Madness

Staff member
Re: 210 Gallon Tank

The 2 pictures below are of a Midas and a Red Devil. The 1st pic is a Midas. The Midas has a much taller body, larger nuchal hump, and see how the forehead and eyes come out almost directly over the mouth. If you were to look straight on, or directly down from above, you would notice that the Midas' mouth is shaped like a (. The fish is almost square shaped.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]MIDAS

The RD is longer and not tall bodied, the nuchal hump is more on top of the head, and not out on the front of the head. The RD mouth and nose protrude out away from the eyes, and if you look straight at or from above, the mouth of the RD is more shaped like a <.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]RED DEVIL

Madness

Staff member

At a young age both the Midas and RD look almost identical, so if you want to purchase one or the other, you should either wait till they reach 5+" or make sure you buy from someone reputable, or you allowed to look at the parents.

Jantilla

madness said:
The 2 pictures below are of a Midas and a Red Devil. The 1st pic is a Midas. The Midas has a much taller body, larger nuchal hump, and see how the forehead and eyes come out almost directly over the mouth. If you were to look straight on, or directly down from above, you would notice that the Midas' mouth is shaped like a (. The fish is almost square shaped.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]MIDAS

The RD is longer and not tall bodied, the nuchal hump is more on top of the head, and not out on the front of the head. The RD mouth and nose protrude out away from the eyes, and if you look straight at or from above, the mouth of the RD is more shaped like a <.
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]RED DEVIL
Thanks for the info.

sandnuka

I prefer midas of RD anyday! :) was one of my fav. of all time fish......

dmd, I dont think convicts have a colony, just a pair..... does any new world fish establish colonys??

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

sandnuka said:
dmd, I dont think convicts have a colony, just a pair..... does any new world fish establish colonys??
Was just a joke! :joker: They multiply so quickly.... :lmfao:

sandnuka

oh, gotcha... lol.... but that didnt answer my question... is there a new world cichlid that has a colony..... piranha? I think they do? silver dollars? pacu?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

A colony operates differently than a school... I would actually consider a convict pair that raised their fry and lived with them to be a colony :scratch:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

:iagree:
Yep they are getting along just fine.

Jantilla

Yep so far so good. It was such a hard decision to make. You never know with these types of fish. I’ll take a vid from the front a little bit later. The midas still isn't eating. I'm not sure of his diet from the original owner. I hope he can figure out that the food is up top.

Zerc

He should figure it out after he sees the oscars eat enough times. I have had fish not eat for 3-4 days after being stuck in a new tank.

Jantilla

I like him alot and hope he stays calm. The oscar's are leaving him alone now as you can tell in the vid. I like him so much I changed my profile picture.

Jantilla

Some may disagree with me but I don't plan on adding anymore fish. These guys will get HUGE. If each oscar needs 55 and the midas 75 then I'm close to my limit anyways. I have a sucker to.

vancouver_98683

Jantilla said:
Does anybody have any ideas for tankmates? I don't want fighting. I was thinking maybe a convict. They might clean up the food that the oscar's spit out.
A small school of eartheaters would sift through the sand and eat up leftover food. Such as Satanoperca and Geophagus species. They're pretty entertaining to watch and bode nicely with whatever aquascaping you decide in the future. Look these up on Youtube.

Jantilla

They look cool. My pleco does a good job at getting the food. The food the oscar's spit out falls to the bottom and he spends most of the day cleaning it. My pleco is active all day and all night.

vancouver_98683

So, you settled on the brown tone sand and didn't switch it? Is it Pool Filter Sand? If so, how many lbs. did you put in? I need to get all my supplies in order to finish my 195g asap. Building my 40" tall DIY stand is next.

Jantilla

Yep it's pool filter sand. I used 150 pounds and washed it out very well before putting it in the tank. I thought I needed 4 bags but only used three. I know you remember me not liking the sand when I only had a couple inches of water in the tank. When I filled the tank up the sand became so much lighter. I love it. Now I'm trying to find out the best way to get the waste off the top during my water change is. I did my first water change on Sunday and it's didn't go well. I guess I will learn as I go.