210 Gallon Tank

Jantilla

210 Gallon Tank

Here are some pictures of my new 210. It doesn't have the fish in it yet.

p1000319.jpg

p1000320.jpg

p1000321.jpg

sandnuka

Re: 210 Gallon Tank

I am soooo jeleous... This is a amazing setup! love the sumps, the plumbing, the sand.... I love it love it love it!!! you gotta put some amazing fish in this thing... some big expensive rare fish!!! a tank this nice deserves the best!

Jantilla

sandnuka said:
I am soooo jeleous... This is a amazing setup! love the sumps, the plumbing, the sand.... I love it love it love it!!! you gotta put some amazing fish in this thing... some big expensive rare fish!!! a tank this nice deserves the best!
Thanks for the nice words. I already have some fish going in. They are big but not rare. I have one albino oscar, tiger oscar and a big pleco. The pleco is pretty aggressive so he might find a new home.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Nice to see the pics! Its looking good! :woot:

sandnuka

you need more than oscars in that bad boy... gotta toss in some texas cichlids, and some other big Central and South american cichlids to go with your oscars. :)

Jantilla

I do plan on adding a few more fish. It's looking like I'm going to rehome the pleco. He is being pretty aggressive. He goes after the oscars.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Lots of choices with a large tank. You might give the pleco a shot in the big tank, the aggression from a 12" common with two medium size Oscars is understandable in a 55g. It might just disappear in the 210. I had problems with my 11" midas and 9" pleco going at it in the 120g, but that stopped entirely when they went into the 210. More elbow room makes even the crankiest pleco happy.

Jantilla

DMD123 said:
Lots of choices with a large tank. You might give the pleco a shot in the big tank, the aggression from a 12" common with two medium size Oscars is understandable in a 55g. It might just disappear in the 210. I had problems with my 11" midas and 9" pleco going at it in the 120g, but that stopped entirely when they went into the 210. More elbow room makes even the crankiest pleco happy.
Sounds like a good idea.

Jantilla

Since each oscar needs 55 gallons plus I have a giant pleco I don't really have the space for other fish. I've been looking at catfish. There are some cool ones out there. I really only have the pleco to clean up after the dirty oscar's.

sandnuka

Ive seen several SA/CA cichlids in a 210 before.... allot more than 2 oscars thats for sure..... especially with that filtration system. I attached a video of a 300 gallon with central american fish in it, look how many are in there.... sure you could put in 3/4 of that many in your tank. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxJ-CJk584Y

Jantilla

sandnuka said:
Ive seen several SA/CA cichlids in a 210 before.... allot more than 2 oscars thats for sure..... especially with that filtration system. I attached a video of a 300 gallon with central american fish in it, look how many are in there.... sure you could put in 3/4 of that many in your tank. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxJ-CJk584Y
That was a cool video. There were alot of fish in that tank. I'm hoping for some 15 inch monster oscar's. I would love to have a jag or red devil but don't think that will work out.

sandnuka

I honestly dont know why it wouldnt... as long as you keep them well fed, i think a 210 is more than enough for a red devil, maybe midas, festae, convicts, Im sure there is a bunch of cool fish you always wanted. :) ..... but, thats just what I would do with it.....

being super good to your oscars and giving them a giant tank to play in is cool... just think you can get more wow out of it with more fish.

Jantilla

I agree. I just don't want fighting. The oscar's swim together and are always together. I don't want that to change. I went through alot of oscar's trying to find two that would get along.

sandnuka

like DMD said earlier... gettin along in a 55gal is allot harder than 210 gallon.... my midas killed every fish in a group of 6..... i couldnt keep him with anyone in a 55gal... its just too small.... but ive seen them have no problems in 150+ gallon....

So if thats all your worried about, you can try it out... get a few guys cheap of craigslist, see how they get along... if there is problems after a few days, take em out and give them up. : )

Jantilla

Before setting up my tank I wanted to add a canister filter to the mix then I changed my mind. Well now I want one but don't have any room next to the tank or under it. Also a hob filter won't work because the tank is two inches from the wall. Does anybody have any ideas? I don't think the wet/dry's will handle all the food the oscar's spit out. I need something to suck it up and keep the tank clean.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

All the options I can think would be visible and distracting. A large sponge filter with a powerhead would pull the waste toward it, or some internal filters. When we had spoke before I mentioned I had left around 6" behind my tank. I did this in case I ever had an emergency and needed to put a HOB filter on the tank.

Jantilla

Also if you look at the last picture. The box on the right sits lower. What if I layed something across it on the left side of the return pump and set a canister on top?

Madness

Staff member

I have 20 fish in my 300. I am about to go to a sump like yours. The sump is even smaller than yours. Then I will get rid of the canister filters. If my sump can handle 20 fish, your sump can definitely handle a couple oscars. I think you are overthinking this. If I were you and I am not, I would purchase one of those power heads, or attach your air line to a large sponge filter and hide it in a back corner. Your sump will do just fine.