210 Gallon Tank

Jantilla

Re: 210 Gallon Tank

madness said:
Jantilla said:
madness said:
I say dump the Oscars and get 5 to 8 fish around 2-3" and watch them grow. Then you can add a couple cool looking plecos, and some cool looking loaches. Even a Poly or 2.
Yes madness I know you hate oscars. They were babies when I got them and still are. They have grown up fast.
I dont hate them, I just think that there are far better fish out there to look at. Far better fish out there for the personality, and a boat load of fish out there that arent so dirty.

Thats all. :)
They are common but still cool. I agree with you that there are alot of other rare fish out there that are cool.

Zerc

possible tankmates?

There are a few videos of on youtube of Oscars and Fire Eels in the same tank, personality is a lot alike, not really aggressive, but will eat w/e fits in their mouth. Clown loaches are pretty tame and they sift through gravel to eat stuff off the bottom as well. You would want to get a bigger loach though probably(to prevent becoming an oscar snack), and the bigger ones are pretty spendy. I did see some 3-4" loaches at the puyallup pet smart a few weeks ago for $12. That might be a bit far for you though.

Wet spot in portland has fire eels 10" long for $60 and 4" for $15

They also have 4" clown loaches, but they are $40 or 3/$100

Jantilla

Zerc said:
possible tankmates?

There are a few videos of on youtube of Oscars and Fire Eels in the same tank, personality is a lot alike, not really aggressive, but will eat w/e fits in their mouth. Clown loaches are pretty tame and they sift through gravel to eat stuff off the bottom as well. You would want to get a bigger loach though probably(to prevent becoming an oscar snack), and the bigger ones are pretty spendy. I did see some 3-4" loaches at the puyallup pet smart a few weeks ago for $12. That might be a bit far for you though.

Wet spot in portland has fire eels 10" long for $60 and 4" for $15

They also have 4" clown loaches, but they are $40 or 3/$100
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoS2ibf9ODkEArE6JzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dconvict%2Bfish%26fr%3Dslv8-hptb5%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D66&w=1600&h=1200&imgurl=3.bp.blogspot.com%2F_P4ZB6MBfFpo%2FS7tF2cZsGJI%2FAAAAAAAAABI%2FjT7NauOLJs8%2Fs1600%2FIMG_0270.JPG&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fhabee-hubpagescomhubsaltwater-fis.blogspot.com%2F2010%2F02%2Fsheepshead-notorious-convicts.html&size=207.1+KB&name=Atlantic+sheepshead+are+often+called+%26quot%3Bconvict+fish%2C%26quot%3B+and+this+nickname+...&p=convict+fish&oid=b94cc5574a4fbc2641356fadaa5826f8&fr2=piv-web&fr=slv8-hptb5&tt=Atlantic%2Bsheepshead%2Bare%2Boften%2Bcalled%2B%2526quot%253Bconvict%2Bfish%252C%2526quot%253B%2Band%2Bthis%2Bnickname%2B...&b=61&ni=112&no=66&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=130nrh786&sigb=137v6un65&sigi=12l8bmhvi&.crumb=vSY8iaoTdSg

How about that? Is that just the normal convict you can get at a fish shop?

Zerc

:shock:

wow! That would be a scary big convict. Thats an Archosargus probatocephalus though, saltwater :)

big teeth!

Zerc

The only down side to clown loaches is that they are "social" fish and most people recommend a minimum of three. And... they get ~16" long. (that takes a long time though)

Zerc

Jantilla said:
I want something big and gentle like an oscar.
Jantilla said:
I wouldn't mind a midas or jd
Neither of those are really gentle fish. You can of course get lucky and have one like DMD had, but mostly they don't really play nice.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III

Yep, I had a freakishly peaceful midas. Thats why the loss hit so hard. To be able to find a large community friendly cichlid sometimes is the real challenge.

Jantilla

At cayes pets they have a tank that has alot of different cichlids including oscar's mixed in. Maybe I can find something in that tank.

Madness

Staff member

No on the Frontosa. They are African, and I am sure the African owners on here can give you a million reasons why.

Zerc

If you really like Jacks you could try a blue JD, they are a lot more mellow than the standard ones.

Jantilla

I have tried them in the past and it didn't work out. It might now since the oscar's are alot bigger.