20 gallon Reef tank build

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilfishie

Anemones need high light to live. they will move around until they find the place that they get what they need to live. He is not going to settle down under that bottle. He will only die there. Please let him out and let him find his spot that he feels comfortable in. If your using that light I gave you, it may not be enough lighting for him.

lars on

even if I turn it up all the way, 100 watts may not be enough? ):

If I take the bottle off him all he does is float around

// I flipped the cup trapy thing over and hes linging in it

lilfishie

If anything, turn the flow down for a while and put him in a low flow area where he can attach himself to the rock. He will then walk around the rocks looking for a good spot. If the lighting is not enought for him, he will set himself loose in the current to hopefully land somewhere with more lighting. Thats why alot of them end up in powerheads. They are not happy where they are for either lighting or water quality reasons.

lars on

ohh, okay. So its normal for them to like just float float? Because its shown no signs of even TRYING to root. I kinda held it to a small rock kfor like 30 seconds and its kinda sticking, but he slipping, and he just fell off the rock.

I dont know whats wrong with it!! Its probably bleached, but it had no foot injuries!

lilfishie

Notice the one in this first picture. The white with pink tips. This anemone is badly bleached out and sick. Once they get to this point, they usually do not survive. I got it with about 60 lbs of live rock. The previous owner couldnt find it to get it out so it came with the rock. It moved constantly. Here is a good site for amenome info. http://www.karensroseanemones.com/
image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

I moved it to my hospital tank and fed it every day table shrimp and krill and mysis. I actually nursed it back to better health. This is him 6 months later. They should look more like this. He still was not happy under pc lighting and he went on the move floating in the water column and got caught in a power head.

image_preview.php
[/url][/img]

sandnuka

Lilfishie.... cant believe you have these pictures... and entered the kilifish pic in the POTM contest!!! lol, you just giving me a chance last time??? absolutly flippin gorgeous!

They look soooo cool bleached like the one in the first pic though :(

lilfishie

sandnuka said:
Lilfishie.... cant believe you have these pictures... and entered the kilifish pic in the POTM contest!!! lol, you just giving me a chance last time??? absolutly flippin gorgeous!

They look soooo cool bleached like the one in the first pic though :(
Yeah they are kindof pretty bleached out, but they are only bleached because they are sick. Not so cool. The clownfish, Frita, was a rescue too.

Anemones live on algae that grows inside them. Its actually a plankton of some kind. Its mentioned in the link I posted, I believe. The algae is fed by good lighting and good water quality continues to grow and feed the anemone. If the anemone becomes distressed it will expell the algae/plankton and then starve to death usually. If it can get the lighting it needs to rejuvinate the growth of the algae it can survive. They will realease them selves and float in the current, which usually takes them closer to the surface where they get more light.

Oh, try building your rock structure higher and see if he stays on it at the top. That is were the one is in my video.

lars on

Yeah, if that is bleached then mine is BLEACHED. Almost a flourecent green. But I think its dead. Lews had some white dots on him, prolly from trying to get in the anemone. ):

But the clown is so pretty!!

lars on

YAY!! Lorrie took my turd monsters! They are gonna have so much room to poop they arent gonna know what to do with themselves. Couldnt have gone to better tanks! :)

lars on

Hokayy. So thought about starting another 10gal saltwater, still might. But Im gonna try to do the 2.5 gal again. Just coral.

It will be funnnn

sandnuka

I think you should have a bigger tank to use its water in the 2.5 gal.... otherwise you will have a hell of time gettin water parameters set on that 2.5gal.

A

Anonymous

looks like its time for a water change! when your kenya trees arent fully extended you should do a water change, that how i know when to do mine :p

lars on

dude the kenyas are FULLY extended, growing even! I did a water change like 3 days ago. :scratch:

Im gonna use water and some sand from the 10 into the 2.5. Gonna build a refugium in a 5 gallon and make a mini sump for the 2.5

sandnuka

ok.... Now I have a fully planted tank, and feel I got enough knowledge if I was to get asked questions on it.... So i guess next step is saltwater...uh oh.... This is going to ruin my life. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.