What did you do with your tank(s) today?

BPSabelhaus

This time free tanks may have bitten me.

Just picked up a free ten gallon and 2 gallon with a cichlid with shells.

I was thinking a little cichlid.....

lol

I don't know cichlids, but I'm pretty sure the tank is a bit small.PXL_20240324_030350526.jpgPXL_20240324_030007904.jpg

Thinking about Woodstock for a name.

I guess it was inevitable lol At least I'm pretty sure it's grown up. Right?

lol

PXL_20240324_041329998.jpg

It's pretty cool. Likes hiding in the cave, but also peeking out :) Need to shuffle the baby bettas out of the 20 and probably into this tank, whatever size it is. Love the shape.

Last edited:

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Yup, looks fairly adult sized. Might get slightly bigger.

I do not know the technical name for it, but petsmart usually lumps them under the umbrella of mbuna cichlid ( without proper identification).

And you are correct that it needs more space. Most people overcrowd their tanks to disperse aggression, but if he is going to live by himself, I think you could get away with a 20g. But when it gets to 4-5” total length, that will be too small for him too ( in my opinion). But I’m no expert as I deal with central and South American cichlids.

BPSabelhaus

Pretty sure he's a Lombardoi specifically. He doesn't have side stripes and his markings are lighter. I assume those pop up during breeding. He has the egg spot, size etc ...

Definitely needs more length in the tank. He wants to swim, but just gets going then has to turn around. Must be frustrating.

But OTOH when he's not swimming around he's finding hiding holes and going from one to another to hide and peek out. He's already at the 4-5 in range. Long tank with a nice sandy bottom with lots of hiding places and a open mid and upper level for swimming.

BPSabelhaus

Yep, might take a little bit but he'll be getting them. Was expecting a 2.5 gallon with a 2.5 gallon sized Cichlid in it. Not a fish that couldn't turn around in a 2.5 lol Especially with an empty 10. But it was an 8 gallon bow front which is a neat tank I want to use for plants and a Betta.

For now he's in the 20 and has 3-4 different hiding places he uses, so definitely an improvement over his oyster shell (again, a monster oyster shell with a fish and mis described 2.5 g lol ) But he clearly wants to swim further. Going to do more reading on him tomorrow while the kiddo is in school. Already learned a lot and am pretty infatuated with him.

When he's not trying to swim further (or mate with a yellow plant pot?) he seems a curious thing poking about.

Oh, I just realized I hadn't really added to this.

1000011559.jpg

1000011554.jpg

In the interim, I think I'm going to remove the stick. It's like 2 of his favorite hiding spots plus a swimming hole. But I think he needs the space for now.

Hopefully it's a bit less sad now :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Was doing a water change and just had one of those, ‘that just went seriously wrong’ moments. Using the python on my lower garage tanks is very normal but having a 10” red wolf fish decide he was going in the gravel tube during it was not normal. Needless to say it was not good for him. He got sucked up into the tube and was stuck in there really tight. He lost some scales and is breathing heavily. Hopefully that was the extent of the damage. This guy already has the cataract issues and is partially blind… last thing he needs is another handicap.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I have the 125g aquarium outside and am using it for rain collection. Did a 50% water change on the 55g and am doing water changes on the 260g and the 220g with the rest after refilling the 30g water can in the fish room.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
The red wolf seems okay despite the ride up and getting stuck in the gravel vac tube. Tonight he was doing the feed me dance and ate a few massivore pellets. I still cant believe that happened.

BPSabelhaus

Kittens knocked another plant over, so I rearranged the pond filter out flow.

1000011737.jpg

Sad? As I told my wife. It may be broken, but it still has beauty in it. Almost all the critters have broken a pot with a special plant in it. Sometimes the plant survives, other times they don't. Either way, the old broken sherds end up as part of the garden decoration.

I still get to look at those pieces and remember my western red cedar bonsai in training that was a 6-7 year old grown from seed that was in two different broken pots before I lost it over a winter freeze.

Another pot in there held what was a red bark birch grove bonsai in training that a dog broke. That mini grove got replanted in a small rock pile last year and is growing great. I might return it to captivity in the future, or build up the rock garden a bit and keep training it in place.

Last edited:

John58Ford

I've been driving 2-4 hours in the mornings before my usual 8 wrenching the last month so I've only managed the minimum water changing. I literally only saw the lights on in the fish room one week day. So I haven't been doing much to my tanks.

Today though, I did a lot. The 125 was looking dark, and jungle like and surreal but it wasn't what I had set out to do. I want a carpet in the foreground, not out of control crypts, and the ludwigia had made quite the cloud of darkness.

Here's a shot from the day I got to see it on a quick break to run home and make my lunch.
PXL_20240320_155002990.MP.jpg
And here's some of today's relaxation and underwater gardening time.
PXL_20240331_235826768.jpg
PXL_20240331_233508435.jpgPXL_20240331_230125824.jpg
With a slightly clouded shot of what I think will get it back on track, bad lighting but I'm still working the room.
PXL_20240401_004919078.MP~2.jpg

Attachments

• 1000006719.jpg
    1000006719.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 7

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I've been driving 2-4 hours in the mornings before my usual 8 wrenching the last month so I've only managed the minimum water changing. I literally only saw the lights on in the fish room one week day. So I haven't been doing much to my tanks.

Today though, I did a lot. The 125 was looking dark, and jungle like and surreal but it wasn't what I had set out to do. I want a carpet in the foreground, not out of control crypts, and the ludwigia had made quite the cloud of darkness.

Here's a shot from the day I got to see it on a quick break to run home and make my lunch.
View attachment 13608
And here's some of today's relaxation and underwater gardening time.
View attachment 13606
View attachment 13607View attachment 13609
With a slightly clouded shot of what I think will get it back on track, bad lighting but I'm still working the room.
View attachment 13610
What did you do with the thinnings? That's a lot of crypts!!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
its just one of those days in the fishroom... Recently we had a small infestation of subterranean termites. They are located on the wall of the house going into the garage/fishroom. We had to pull everything away from the wall and they had to drill holes in the concrete floor every 18" to inject something into the soil. Then multiple traps set up around perimeter of house.
733780152.jpg
733780191.jpg