What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
More cleaning... small clean up on the 300. Pretty much a touch up for all the diggers.
Did some clean up on the office puffer tank too. Going to clean it up well for the next couple days in preparation to move it.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Garage tank day... moved the office tank over to garage. Also cleaned the two 75’s in garage. So nice to have all those tanks in one area. Will be so much easier for upkeep.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
63079BEC-33C2-4FD3-A404-4C13A541726A.jpeg E2A7A22A-9DDB-4C73-AFF5-2ECDE17C6778.jpeg 8B03DF31-11E1-4E72-9E75-A03624FBEC18.jpeg Today I did some work... moved both of my classroom tanks home and set them up in my garage.... the guppies have survived the last three weeks without me ( sneaky suspicion that my custodian has been feeding them). They were in a 29 g now in a 40b and the growouts in my 40b went to my 55 custom acrylic tank from my classroom....

leaving my 29 partially empty but with a little bit of water in it....

63079BEC-33C2-4FD3-A404-4C13A541726A.jpeg E2A7A22A-9DDB-4C73-AFF5-2ECDE17C6778.jpeg 8B03DF31-11E1-4E72-9E75-A03624FBEC18.jpeg

L190

Tried catching my betta rubra fry in a 10 gallon tank. Moved them to a floating breeder box so they can find food easier. I caught as many as I can, lots still hiding in the detritus. After spending 30 minutes caching them, I notice some of the fry swimming out of the box, found out the slits in the box are too big. Now waiting for PetSmart to open to get one of those need breeder boxes.

FB_IMG_1586143061296.jpg

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Discovered that the heater in one of my 20L grow-out tanks had failed; Marineland, of course, the worst heaters on the market. Fortunately it failed in the 'off' position, so the fishes were cold, but otherwise OK. I thought that I had discarded all of these heaters years ago, and replaced them with Eheim's, but apparently this one slipped under the radar.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Discovered that the heater in one of my 20L grow-out tanks had failed; Marineland, of course, the worst heaters on the market. Fortunately it failed in the 'off' position, so the fishes were cold, but otherwise OK. I thought that I had discarded all of these heaters years ago, and replaced them with Eheim's, but apparently this one slipped under the radar.
Good thing it was in the off position! 20 gallons can get hot fast. So far Ive been lucky that all my heater failures have been off rather than stuck on.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Good thing it was in the off position! 20 gallons can get hot fast. So far Ive been lucky that all my heater failures have been off rather than stuck on.

Actually, I misspoke- it was a 40L, not a 20L, but that doesn't change the story. The tank never got below 70 degrees, but that's way colder than Tanganyikans want to be. Today the tank is up to 79, and all the Multi's seem fine.

Cleaned out six AquaClear 110's in the fish room today; will do the remainder later this week.

Have my first batch of Julidochromis ornatus fry from a group of young ones that I've been growing up. I'd forgotten how tiny Julie fry are. My favourites are still J. marlieri, though, because they have the checkerboard pattern even when they're tiny.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
With all my “small” tanks in one spot it makes it so much easier to clean.

Here is the project basically complete except a few final details with a seating area...
IMG_20200407_164251770.jpg
IMG_20200407_164233357.jpg

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Today was treat day for the fish. Growout amphilophus tank got bloodworms and the rest got some frozen krill. The puffers and trimac were happy to get krill. Not sure why but the largest Petsmart red devil not a fan of krill. Was hoping it would like it enough to help with color. But its pretty orange already from the pellet food, not sure if the krill would help that much. Anyway fun feeding them treats.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Water change day for me. Started with the 300 and then did the garage tanks. Having the tanks in one spot made for a nice quick change

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Water change day for me. Started with the 300 and then did the garage tanks. Having the tanks in one spot made for a nice quick change

What size heater do you have in the 300. I have 2 300w heaters and they are not quite enough it would appear. Took 18hrs to raise temp 10 degrees and I don’t think I have seen them off at all.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
What size heater do you have in the 300. I have 2 300w heaters and they are not quite enough it would appear. Took 18hrs to raise temp 10 degrees and I don’t think I have seen them off at all.
Im just using a 300 watt Fluval e series and a 250 watt SERA heater in the 300. Originally had 2 of the Fluval but they couldn’t hack it so I replaced with the SERA’s. After about 3 1/2 years one of the SERA started to act up so I popped in the Fluval and its been working okay. So Im running 550 watts and it keeps temp fine but if I had to actually heat water the fluvals dont do that great.