What did you do with your tank(s) today?

whatthebloody

Fish got treats today. Remembered that I had frozen squid in freezer so I fed the tentacles to the puffers and cut some small pieces for the amphilophus gowouts. Put some in tonight at lights out for the polys. Trimac didn’t know what to make of it and didn’t eat any, it sat for hours so I got it out of there. Squid is a rare treat when I feel like splurging on the fish.
I like a little squid myself

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Contributing Member Level III
View from the door to the fish room. Jury is still deliberating on the light. It’s not as bright as I was hoping.

Did you buy the BeamsWork DA or EA? I have the 72" DA's with just 6500K and actinic LED's on my tanks, and they are plenty bright; in fact, I only run the 6500K LEDs at 30% brightness.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Did you buy the BeamsWork DA or EA? I have the 72" DA's with just 6500K and actinic LED's on my tanks, and they are plenty bright; in fact, I only run the 6500K LEDs at 30% brightness.

I ordered the EA. Looks like I may need to order the DA and request a return on the EA.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I ordered the EA. Looks like I may need to order the DA and request a return on the EA.

Yes, the EA's have only three rows of LED's; the DA's are more expensive, but they have five (but it's less expensive to buy two 36" DA's than one 72"). I have EA's on my shallow tanks (bottom row in the pic), but DA's on everything 18" deep and over (top row)-

IMGP6244.jpg

You will note that both the DA's and EA's come in two different versions- the 'Full Spectrum' version contains a few red and green LED's in addition to the white and actinic LED's; this seems to be the EA that you ordered. I have one of these on the 75g show tank in my living room. All of the tanks in my fish room have the '6500K' version, irrespective of whether they are DA's or EA's, which contains only white (6500K) and actinic LED's. I prefer these, but it's just a matter of personal preference. I don't know why BeamsWork makes their nomenclature so complicated.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Yes, the EA's have only three rows of LED's; the DA's are more expensive, but they have five (but it's less expensive to buy two 36" DA's than one 72"). I have EA's on my shallow tanks (bottom row in the pic), but DA's on everything 18" deep and over (top row)-

View attachment 6121

You will note that both the DA's and EA's come in two different versions- the 'Full Spectrum' version contains a few red and green LED's in addition to the white and actinic LED's; this seems to be the EA that you ordered. I have one of these on the 75g show tank in my living room. All of the tanks in my fish room have the '6500K' version, irrespective of whether they are DA's or EA's, which contains only white (6500K) and actinic LED's. I prefer these, but it's just a matter of personal preference. I don't know why BeamsWork makes their nomenclature so complicated.

Return created and 6500k DA ordered.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I use the EA on my 75’s and 30 gallon tanks and they are great for what I have, fish only. The dimmer timer also makes it perfect for my situation too. Not too bright for the fish.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I use the EA on my 75’s and 30 gallon tanks and they are great for what I have, fish only. The dimmer timer also makes it perfect for my situation too. Not too bright for the fish.

I have 72" DA's on my 125's and 60" DA's on my 100's and I have no problem growing Anubias with the 6500K LED's set to 30% brightness for 11 hours per day. :cool:

FishBeast

Water changes all weekend for me! Scraped algae off all the front panes. Found some hillstream loach fry in the hillstream tank. Washed all my fish tank rags and towels. Culled some shrimp and pruned some overgrown plats/moss!

I myself have had 2 heaters quit in the last month - have to see about warranty claim on the one Aqueon Pro. Annoying though. They are all under 3 years old. I wonder if they are getting fried from power surges. Good thing they died and didn't get stuck on.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I'm trying to resist the urge to buy a group of these-

a7fed05af2622df3bfbc39ee124b515e.jpg

Cyathopharynx Foai 'Kachese'
One of the most highly prized Tanganyikan featherfins, and definitely on my 'To Do' list. I have room at the moment to raise a group of juveniles, but these fishes get big- 8" for the males- and a group of 2 males and 4-6 females would require at least a 125 gallon tank. And I don't have a 125 at present whose sand floor is not already occupied. Why does it seem like you are always one tank shy of what you need? :blush

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
I'm trying to resist the urge to buy a group of these-

View attachment 6148

Cyathopharynx Foai 'Kachese'
One of the most highly prized Tanganyikan featherfins, and definitely on my 'To Do' list. I have room at the moment to raise a group of juveniles, but these fishes get big- 8" for the males- and a group of 2 males and 4-6 females would require at least a 125 gallon tank. And I don't have a 125 at present whose sand floor is not already occupied. Why does it seem like you are always one tank shy of what you need? :blush

Sounds like there will be a new 125 in the fish room :D