What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Deep cleaning the 300 today. I begin in the back corner, pull out all plants and clean off algae, scrub back wall and below gravel line, pull out driftwood and scrub along with a big water change. I cant do the whole tank at one time but one more cleaning and it looks really good for a while and I only need light gravel vacs to keep it clean looking.

This is one of my favorite pieces I have but can never get it to really pop or stand out in my aquascapes.
IMG_20210208_131304161.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Cut glass lids for several of the 29g aquariums. Unfortunately, I dropped one piece. I used the glass from one of the failed 29g.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Stopped by my local Lakewood Petco and bought a “medium” mopani that looked like a mini stump. Needs a bit of woodwork to make it look cool.
91CB381A-4E57-45C5-9007-F46A92178D3C.jpeg
Then a long time soaking to get the worst of the tannins out and then to pick what tank to put it in.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Hollowed out the top just a little with Dremel. Wanted to give more of a stump look without a deep hole for food to get caught in.
IMG_20210210_161057411.jpg

Madness

Staff member
Drove up to Everett last night to pick up ~24 Redhead tapajo fry. They are roughly 0.25in.
If you want to offload some at anytime let me know, once my SA pleco tank is up and going i was thinking of adding several cichlids, just haven't decided on which specie i want to go with

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Early morning water changes in the 300, both 90’s and 46 gallon bowfront. These are all easy because I can gravity drain them into sink or tub. The 65B’s need a python because they are too low to gravity drain. I can gravity drain during the summer on to the lawn but during cold weather I won’t open up garage door, don't want to lose the heat.

Been working on future stocking ideas, on paper it requires a few fish to get rehomed. Big decision time, who gets cut?

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Moved Ophthalmotilapia nasuta Kipili Gold Female #2 from her recovery tank back into the main colony, without any issues. It's interesting, of my four wild-caught females, she is by far the favorite of all the males, even though she is the smallest and least colorful. Go figure. She gave me 4 fry this time, 15 last time; I have no idea why the big difference.

Moved a late-stage brooding Xenotilapia spilopterus from the main colony to a 55g brooding tank, which also contains some young Xenotilapia flavipinnis. I assume the brooding fish is a male, because X. spilopterus is a biparental mouthbrooder in which the female holds first, then transfers the embryos to the male. Eventually I hope to to have 2 breeding pairs plus dithers of X. spilopterus in this tank, in addition to the main colony. I would really like to see the biparental spawning and the embryo transfer process.

Xenotilapia spilopterus Mabilibili-

xenotilapia_spilopterus_mabilibili3.jpg

Xenotilapia flavipinnis
Red Royal; these are also biparental mouthbrooders-

Xeno_flavipinnis_red_royal_01.jpg

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Did you know glass shrimp are predatory? Yes, they are. The 29g that I am using to house the RHT fry HAD glass shrimp in it. Thankfully, I am working from home today and was able to see the attempted murder of these fry. I have moved all the glass shrimp to the cube and fed some to the the chocolate piggy.
I'm also getting to watch the G. Brasiliensis spats. All 3 have black fringe on their lower fins and are gill flairing at each other.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Today was a ‘just enjoy’ day. No water changes or things planned. Just some feeding treat foods and spending some time with the tanks. I think this will be a big determination as to my rehome decisions to soon come and also the restock ideas I have.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Well I am at tough decision time.

My 46 gallon planted tank seems good in the sense that Ive only lost one plant and it was a Petco one at that. But the puffer is sooooooooo boring. This is the one that completely buries himself until feeding. He is an aggressive eater and responsive to the lid being opened to eat but I cant keep anything with it. If I rehomed him I would likely move the more active angels and tetra to that tank. This is a tough decision because the puffer is pretty cool but only during feeding... decisions, decisions

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Lost power at about 7 this morning, now running on emergency generator power, so no issues with the fishes. Estimated power restoration 5:30 this afternoon. We'll see. :oops:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Just got my power back; no problems at all throughout the day, except no internet connectivity. This is the first time I had a real rest of my emergency backup system, and it worked perfectly. Really great not to have to worry about fuel for the generator now that I have a dedicated propane tank. And keeping a fire going all day kept this half of the house toasty warm. Still, it's great to have power back. In the past, the main anxiety was about the fishes, and now that's not a problem. :)