What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
After a lot of thinking about my stock and what my future plans might be I think I have determined I have quite a few fish I may want to rehome. So far that list is: Trimac, Arrowhead puffer, clown loach, Raphael cat, pleco L001, RTM cichlids. All of this would then open up two 90’s and a 65B to go a different route with. Im thinking of moving the arrowhead puffer back into the 65B until I rehome it and put the community tank in the 46 bowfront. The Raphael that will get rehomed can go into the rtm 90.

I am a guy that usually keeps fish long term so I hate all the changes that I am thinking of but many fish were rescue or just fillers until I figured out what I wanted to do.

If anyone sees fish on my rehome list you are interested in let me know. I will need to post this in the sale section soon.

I have a list of fish I am interested in too, lol. Ive been asking about various African cichlids and there was still a goal of a brute, solo cichlid for one of my 90’s.

sir_keith

Legendary Member
...I am a guy that usually keeps fish long term so I hate all the changes that I am thinking of...

We all change fishes over the years. I started out in the usual way, then gravitated to dwarf cichlids because I loved all the cichlid behaviors, but was space-limited. When the Africans arrived I switched over to Malawians, and soon had several big tanks. After a 10-year hiatus whilst I lived in Southern California, I set up a good-sized fish room and kept many different kinds of cichlids, but eventually gravitated to Tanganyikans. Soon I was keeping Tropheus exclusively.

A few years ago I branched out into Tanganyikan featherfins, and gradually they have been taking over my fish room. So I have never had a big change all at once during which I moved most of my previous fishes to make way for new stock, it was much more gradual. Either way, it's always fun.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Just finished water changes on all of my tanks downstairs and in the garage ( 7 tanks) I didn’t do any gravel vacs as I ran my python water change system from the kitchen sink ( about 65-70 feet from the farthest tank in the garage) so the suction is less than optimal for that, but I did drain 30-40% of each tank and refilled them all. Still need to do the multi tank in the bedroom but that’s an old school bucket / style water change.

normally I do all garage tanks with outside facet but I didn’t want to have to turn the water on to it with how cold it’s been lately....

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Just finished water changes on all of my tanks downstairs and in the garage ( 7 tanks) I didn’t do any gravel vacs as I ran my python water change system from the kitchen sink ( about 65-70 feet from the farthest tank in the garage) so the suction is less than optimal for that, but I did drain 30-40% of each tank and refilled them all. Still need to do the multi tank in the bedroom but that’s an old school bucket / style water change.

normally I do all garage tanks with outside facet but I didn’t want to have to turn the water on to it with how cold it’s been lately....
Do you have a toilet near by? I run my python to a toilet for draining when I'm doing water changes outside of the fish room. I place the end of the hose just inside the lip of the toilet and use the seat to hold it there.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I drain my 300 outdoors when its not freezing out. When dealing with this weather I have a bathtub nearby that I drain into.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a toilet near by? I run my python to a toilet for draining when I'm doing water changes outside of the fish room. I place the end of the hose just inside the lip of the toilet and use the seat to hold it there.
Bathroom is about 1 25’ python hose away... and it’s up two steps from the garage... not sure I could get enough suction for that.... I find my outside faucet works best when it isn’t freezing outside!

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, looks like its time to remodel! lol Your water heater is in the garage so it wouldn’t take much to add a faucet for water access. Just need to figure out a drain. A laundry room sink would have been ideal.

lloyd378

Administrator
Staff member
@lloyd378, looks like its time to remodel! lol Your water heater is in the garage so it wouldn’t take much to add a faucet for water access. Just need to figure out a drain. A laundry room sink would have been ideal.
I’m planning on moving in the next few years, so I’m not going to worry about that as 10 months out of the year water changes are easier

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Water change morning. All 6 tanks done today. Some tanks definitely are easier to keep up than others!

My lower tanks that need a python are both a breeze. The one is way under stocked with just the hairy puffer, it gets some algae on the glass and I have to scrub off the Malaysian driftwood every now and then. The other 65B is a community with a male and female bristle nose so really clean except for small pleco poo on the sand.

My real challenge has been the 46 bowfront, I need to find that balance of light to cut down on alage on the live plants. I am having to scrub the leaves at least once a week. This is the one with the arrowhead puffer. Way under stocked but needs either reduced light cycle or I turn the light down even more.

fishguy1978

Legendary Member
Water change morning. All 6 tanks done today. Some tanks definitely are easier to keep up than others!

My lower tanks that need a python are both a breeze. The one is way under stocked with just the hairy puffer, it gets some algae on the glass and I have to scrub off the Malaysian driftwood every now and then. The other 65B is a community with a male and female bristle nose so really clean except for small pleco poo on the sand.

My real challenge has been the 46 bowfront, I need to find that balance of light to cut down on alage on the live plants. I am having to scrub the leaves at least once a week. This is the one with the arrowhead puffer. Way under stocked but needs either reduced light cycle or I turn the light down even more.

You could try floating plants like frogbit or water lettuce.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
You could try floating plants like frogbit or water lettuce.
I had got some floaters with a fish and I was having problems with the Aquaclear pushing them down and basically hammered them to death. I need to prevent the filter from doing that. Maybe a ring of airline tubing around the output?
41369A49-30E2-4D49-BF2C-D537ADC2B6E0.jpeg

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
I had got some floaters with a fish and I was having problems with the Aquaclear pushing them down and basically hammered them to death. I need to prevent the filter from doing that. Maybe a ring of airline tubing around the output?
View attachment 7856

I've always wished there was some kind of baffle device that one could attach to the output of an AC110 to direct the output parallel to the water surface, rather than straight down. Sometimes they create too much circulation, especially in fry tanks. Any ideas?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
I've always wished there was some kind of baffle device that one could attach to the output of an AC110 to direct the output parallel to the water surface, rather than straight down. Sometimes they create too much circulation, especially in fry tanks. Any ideas?
There is a diffuser Ive seen
3F08B89C-0B5F-45AE-8B63-9204E8659AF8.jpeg
Basically a pvc tube with a slit to snap over the lip of the filter and it has holes in it to make the water flow get diffused.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member