The big switch

Betty

Staff member
Love the tank now and the fish as well.

The fish you have labeled as a pictus looks to me like a Synodontis, possibly an eupterus?

censeoflife

Photo updates : )

The male is coloring up real nice, and growing. 2.75"
pictur34.jpg

Largest female, she is about the same size as the male, he is always courting her.
pictur35.jpg

Sorry it's blurry but this is the best shot of the F1 babies from APFP, looking good at 1.5" about twice the size from when I got them.
pictur36.jpg

One day I will have a real camera. lol...

censeoflife

Three females are holding eggs/ fry right now. Anyone know how long about before I see some fry? Any suggestions to help the females out? They are losing weight... and still getting pestered by the male.

Mikey

censeoflife said:
Three females are holding eggs/ fry right now. Anyone know how long about before I see some fry? Any suggestions to help the females out? They are losing weight... and still getting pestered by the male.
It's their first time, so I'd suggest just letting them spit, or they might just eat the eggs. They'll get the hang of it. I'd suggest getting a dark colored (purple works) plastic tub with a lid, and make a medium size hole at the top so that they females or the male cannot enter. Place rocks around, and on top of the tub, but not over the hole. The females will hopefully spit in that, and when you see some little fry in there, just pull it out and put them in a nursery. 10-20 gallons should do it! Good luck!!!! If the male is really pestering the females, you can always put him in a separate tank for a few days. :)

censeoflife

Yeah thanks. He is trying to get the last one of the four. she is the largest female and is not yet impressed. I have added more blinds but the guy patrols the whole tank and no one gets rest till hes down for the night. Active awesomeness

stierwalt3

Awesome fish and a cool tank! 8)

Censeoflife and Mikey you have the wife and I sold On these fish! So now it's time for us to shop for a bigger tank! :twisted:

censeoflife

That's awesome! I love these fish and spend lots of time watching them. I got about 12 or so a few months back and already have a few fry swimming around, and some more female about ready to spit.

stierwalt3

censeoflife said:
That's awesome! I love these fish and spend lots of time watching them. I got about 12 or so a few months back and already have a few fry swimming around, and some more female about ready to spit.
Nice!

I'm going to pick up my new tank tonight...I hope you don't mind me using some of your ideas! ;)

censeoflife

Totally I just scrub the crap outta em' under hot friggen water. I also tested them with vinegar. I found every rock in my tank randomly out in the world. lol.

Wolf-Keeper1

censeoflife said:
cool I will add some more pots.

FYI... I bought the pots at home depot, looked through the stock and grabbed all the cracked and broken ones, asked for a discount for the damaged goods and got 50% my purchase.

Spent less than 20$ so far for this switch.

About how many fish well I be able to keep? I want to start with fry.....
duh why didn't I think of that!!!great tip!!

censeoflife

Wolf-Keeper1 said:
censeoflife said:
cool I will add some more pots.

FYI... I bought the pots at home depot, looked through the stock and grabbed all the cracked and broken ones, asked for a discount for the damaged goods and got 50% my purchase.

Spent less than 20$ so far for this switch.

About how many fish well I be able to keep? I want to start with fry.....
duh why didn't I think of that!!!great tip!!
I still have these pots and recycle them into new tanks as we go. They are starting to turn the prettiest green.