The big switch

censeoflife

Betty said:
Congrats on the saulosi tank. I've had mine for several years now and they have been a lot of "fun"! Of all the mbuna I keep, they are the only ones that bite me (hard enough to break skin!!).
I wondered, I can see the lil pink beaks, I can feel them grazing me know when I work on something. lol..

censeoflife

sandnuka said:
I loved my DIY backgrounds.... the only disadvantage is that they do cause a drastic PH spike, so make sure you have them in the tank with water doing several water changes for a week or so, this way ph will go back down. :)
Maybe I could set up a rubbermaid and cure it first? Or does it continue to buffer?

censeoflife

Pictures

Bruiser comes right over to me every time im checking out the action. Even waits for me to take his picture. Such a good fish. lol.
pictur20.jpg

Roll with the pack or get left behind! lol
pictur21.jpg

Romain they love it! Feeding frenzy.
pictur22.jpg

Even Ducky (8" plec) got in on some of that green! lol
pictur23.jpg

sandnuka

SO LUCKY! all my fish hate any fresh vege's I toss in there.... only one that will eat is the pleco and his cucumber.... I have to trick them by feeding them vege pellets after a 2 day fast... Keep them eating it, there color will be great!

censeoflife

They love that and algae wafers too. They get a staple HBH veggy flake with spirulina as well.

I re setup the rocks and pots today. Take some pics when the sand storm settles.

sandnuka

censeoflife said:
Maybe I could set up a rubbermaid and cure it first? Or does it continue to buffer?
Should be fine that way.... Just make sure you keep it soaked for over 48 hrs, and 100% water change 3 -4 times. The higher buffer of the PH is good anyway for your cichlids... you just dont want it to initially spike.

censeoflife

Wenta different way

So I did rocks with the pots. Here are some shots. lol..

This is before shot
pictur24.jpg

After...
pictur25.jpg

Corner close up
pictur26.jpg

Center close up
pictur27.jpg

sandnuka

WOW! there are sooo many caves... you can probably get a bunch of extra fish in that tank and not have hardly any aggression cause they will all be satisfied with there caves :) very nice... looks great. wish I had that much stuff in my tropheus tank....

censeoflife

I saw that my young ones had no place to really get away from the alpha male, so I wanted to add more. After I got the rocks in I noticed my other juvy male started to color up right away. Since he can now claim a territory...lol. He looks cool, all yellow with black trim. Plus my large pleco in their needed a cave for daytime too.
I was also trying to build the back up nice and high and use the powerhead to create a current along the front. Sorta mimicking their natural environment.

A

Anonymous

looks great. I know what you mean about the tank looking empty in the morning. In the 180 all of my Frontosa have hiding spots. I turn on the light in the morning and all I see are my Nerite snailzorz.

censeoflife

Oh yeah! Right now I have 3 for sure females at 2+" same as the alpha male
1, I thought was female but is starting to lose its yellow (where the black comes in) at the same size.
I have one 1 3/4" looks male and gets picked on like one, runs in the pack.
And I still have all 6 of the F1 babies from Kevin, They are at about 1 1/2" from 3/4" when I got them.
Of the babies only one practices territory / mating dance so far and it is the largest of the group.

I may have 1 to many males here in 6 months or so... lol.

I sit mezmerized for hours on my bed with these fish. friggen awesome!

censeoflife

A few more pictures

I had some good shots from before I got the pots out I thought I would share.

pictur30.jpg

Coloring up real nice

pictur31.jpg

One of the F1 fry from APFP

pictur32.jpg

My new Synodontis, this territorial catfish has claimed a cave in the lave rock.

pictur33.jpg

Full tank with all the new rock. The yellow / orange soulosi stand out so well.